Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What year did you ER?
1991 1 0.84%
1992 1 0.84%
1993 2 1.68%
1994 0 0%
1995 0 0%
1996 1 0.84%
1997 0 0%
1998 1 0.84%
1999 3 2.52%
2000 3 2.52%
2001 3 2.52%
2002 7 5.88%
2003 4 3.36%
2004 2 1.68%
2005 12 10.08%
2006 11 9.24%
2007 23 19.33%
2008 15 12.61%
2009 17 14.29%
2010 13 10.92%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

April 1, 2007

Plan B called for me to w*rk only until the end of 1Q07, but somehow using March 31st as my official separation date was just not a strong enough statement to make.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Nitpicking: Doesn't the age at which one retires more important than the year? Not much can be said about a person retiring in 1991 at age 80, right?
Great point! How about starting a poll on this? I'd sure be interested in the results.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Hey where is next year?
vBulletin's poll feature only allows 20 options and I wanted to start with the Kaderli's year. It neatly ended with 2010 as the 20th year.

Mods or admins, if you can flip a vBulletin switch to give this poll more room then maybe it could run out to 2015. Or back to the Carter administration...

Quote:
Nitpicking: Doesn't the age at which one retires more important than the year? Not much can be said about a person retiring in 1991 at age 80, right?
I think we've polled the "how old did you ER" question already, although I haven't searched for it. That didn't seem like a "new" question.

I'm wondering if we'll see any data trends from asking the question this way-- for example few ERs during the stormy days of 2001, 2002, 2008, or 2009... and lots of them in 1999 & 2007 when the ER weather seemed sunny & mild.

Maybe the question came to mind because my kid is studying for the AP Statistics & Probability exam this month so my head is stuffed full of vocabulary like "skew" and "kurtosis". Of course there may be a little "survivor bias" issue affecting the bad years. But perhaps the same issue would apply to those who ER'd in a "good" year only to walk head-on into the next recession.

I feel like I know some of these numbers by heart. UncleMick, is that your vote for 1993?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The mayor even invited me to a luncheon honoring employees with over 30 years! I wonder if she knows what I was doing for the last 5 years?
I guess that depends on how often she reads this board-- under what name does she post here?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

2008 for me, but I had a brain cramp and voted for 1998. That decade really seemed to have flown by
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
2008 for me, but I had a brain cramp and voted for 1998. That decade really seemed to have flown by
I can fix that. - done.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

1/1/1993 age 49 BUT I was 'unemployed' until I was able make the mental shift to ER.

ER anonymous?

heh heh heh -
Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

ER anonymous?

heh heh heh -
Hope there's no 12-step program for that.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

March of 2000. How's that for luck!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #29

Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Last day of work was December 31, 1996. Didn't retire, just decided I'd had all of the corporate fun that I could stand. I was 49 at the time.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #31

July 1, 2002 was my last day of real work. It is a different mindset.

After we sold the old house and before we could move into the new one, which wasn't ready yet, we stayed DW's father for about three weeks. This was stressful for her since as it turned out I got along better with him than she did. Shortly after we moved in there I told DW "Well dear, we're unemployed and homeless."

Somehow that didn't make her feel any better, but I've always had that talent for words.

And while I have a job at the moment, I think it is a stretch to call it "work". This afternoon/evening I'll spend eight hours there, about six and a half of which I'll spend reading a book about Photoshop, I'll have two 15-minute breaks and a 30-minute break for lunch, and I'll spend perhaps 30 minutes actually doing what they pay me for. And at each end I'll have a nice motorcycle ride. With the extra unplanned-for income after taxes our savings/investments increase at the rate of $2.5k per month and there's another $800 for play.

And if in this environment someone, somehow, manages to sufficiently annoy me, I have the option of telling anyone and everyone to shove it.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Born last century - retired this century. Seems like forever ...
(Actually, 2007 at age 59...)
Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #33

April 2006. Question: Could a new line be added like the LOCATION field under the control panel to add the year one retired?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
April 2006. Question: Could a new line be added like the LOCATION field under the control panel to add the year one retired?
The option to include your retirement date can be found in the "Additional Information" section of your User CP > Edit Your Details. However, it does not display under your avatar as you are requesting.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm wondering if we'll see any data trends from asking the question this way-- for example few ERs during the stormy days of 2001, 2002, 2008, or 2009... and lots of them in 1999 & 2007 when the ER weather seemed sunny & mild.
OK, I see the reason behind the poll now.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #36

My last day of work was Friday, October 31, 2008, Halloween.

It was no tricks, all treats LOL!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Shortly after we moved in there I told DW "Well dear, we're unemployed and homeless."

Somehow that didn't make her feel any better, but I've always had that talent for words.
I had a partner like that once. While I was always trying to sweet talk somebody into the back seat of the police car, he could, with a few words, turn them into raving lunatics. After the secretary down at IAD started greeting us by our first names I told him, "Dude, you're just not allowed to talk to people anymore."
Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

70 votes so far, with the majority in the last five years.

Maybe it would've been different if the poll had been running since 1991. There's probably a recency issue... if you've been ER'd for a while you may no longer feel compelled to log onto this board to discuss it. It's hard enough to mine this board or Greaney's or Raddr's for data, and there's no way to go track down the old TMF RE board or ES's defunct board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
While I was always trying to sweet talk somebody into the back seat of the police car...
That gives a completely different connotation than the one I hope you intended!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #39

Made my final - no going back - decision on L*bor Day, 2005. Gone in less than a week.

I have a recurring dream that I either changed my mind and stayed or else that I went back to w*rk at the same place. Reminds me of dreams I used to have about not graduating from university. Cold sweat time for both kinds of dreams. Maybe we should poll when was the last time we dreamed about our old j*b!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That gives a completely different connotation than the one I hope you intended!
I'm not ashamed of avoiding a butt-kicking what so ever. I can even remember the exact moment I started sweet talking.

Cold February, about 3 in the A.M. 1981. Dude passed out behind the wheel in the middle of an intersection in a bad neighborhood. I was all smart alecky until I reached down to grab his arm and said "whoa, dude, what's your thigh doing up here where you arm belongs?" Then he unfolded out of the car and I was looking up at what had to be Bubba Smith's biiiig brother.

He was still a little groggy, but was starting to remember some of the comments I had so foolishly made. "What did you say?"

"It sure is cold out here and it looks like you're having some car problems. Why don't you have a seat in my car where it's nice and warm while I figure out what to do with your car."

That's the night I learned how to sweet talk.