Votes: 11 9.2%

Votes: 23 19.3%

Votes: 14 11.8%

Votes: 17 14.3%

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Along with the "Class of 2010" thread, I thought I'd revive this poll.

I know there are many historic ERs through the years, perhaps starting with Ben Franklin, but let's restrict this poll to current board members.

IIRC the Kaderlis hold the "Earliest To ER" trophy from 1991. Let me (or a moderator) know if you ER'd before then and we'll try to edit the poll. But the board software may already be hard-coded to a 20-year span.

I guess we could add Jarhead as an honorary voter-- REWahoo, do you remember what year he claimed his ER? I'm pretty sure it was after Ben...

Very much an ER newbie - 2010.

I'm going with the year I stopped working. They kept paying me for a couple of years after that. Just yesterday I found that I'm not really retired according to them. As long as they are using the cash value of some leftover leave to pay my insurance, they considered me sort-of-kind-of retired. The mayor even invited me to a luncheon honoring employees with over 30 years! I wonder if she knows what I was doing for the last 5 years?

I am in the Class of 2005. My last day at work was Dec. 31, 2004, but they paid me until April 2005. Five years retired and happy as a clam!

1/4/2008. I selected this date as I had the maximum amount of "use or lose" annual leave and wanted the payout to occur in the next tax year. Actually, I had more than the maximum so I had to go before the end of the first pay period or I would have lost the excess. Naturally, HR messed it up and showed me dropping some leave. After a couple of months, I got it all straightened out.

So while it feels like I retired in 2007, it was technically 2008.

not by choice but here I am! Since my wife volunteers full time at the halfway house perhaps I'll follow here into full time service.

I love being able to say I retired in the last century! LOL!

Audrey (class of 1999)

I love being able to say I retired in the last century! LOL!

Audrey (class of 1999)

Same here class of 1999, technically I was on a 1 year leave of absence, but never went back in 2000. I retired in the previous millennium, no mere last century for me. :)

Same here class of 1999, technically I was on a 1 year leave of absence, but never went back in 2000. I retired in the previous millennium, no mere last century for me. :)

So...did you 1999'ers party like it was 1999?

Hey where is next year? :D

Class of 2006, as I remember a strong year, it may win the freq poll. Time has really ticked on by, where did the four years go? I gotta get around to mowing that back lawn... ;)

Actually I was paranoid that the Dot com bubble was going to burst in 1999, so I sold most tech stuff in Jan 2000.

April 1, 2007

Plan B called for me to w*rk only until the end of 1Q07, but somehow using March 31st as my official separation date was just not a strong enough statement to make. :cool:

Nitpicking: Doesn't the age at which one retires more important than the year? Not much can be said about a person retiring in 1991 at age 80, right?

Great point! How about starting a poll on this? I'd sure be interested in the results.

Hey where is next year? :D
vBulletin's poll feature only allows 20 options and I wanted to start with the Kaderli's year. It neatly ended with 2010 as the 20th year.

Mods or admins, if you can flip a vBulletin switch to give this poll more room then maybe it could run out to 2015. Or back to the Carter administration...

Nitpicking: Doesn't the age at which one retires more important than the year? Not much can be said about a person retiring in 1991 at age 80, right?
I think we've polled the "how old did you ER" question already, although I haven't searched for it. That didn't seem like a "new" question.

I'm wondering if we'll see any data trends from asking the question this way-- for example few ERs during the stormy days of 2001, 2002, 2008, or 2009... and lots of them in 1999 & 2007 when the ER weather seemed sunny & mild.

Maybe the question came to mind because my kid is studying for the AP Statistics & Probability exam this month so my head is stuffed full of vocabulary like "skew" and "kurtosis". Of course there may be a little "survivor bias" issue affecting the bad years. But perhaps the same issue would apply to those who ER'd in a "good" year only to walk head-on into the next recession.

I feel like I know some of these numbers by heart. UncleMick, is that your vote for 1993?

The mayor even invited me to a luncheon honoring employees with over 30 years! I wonder if she knows what I was doing for the last 5 years?
I guess that depends on how often she reads this board-- under what name does she post here?

Last edited:
2008 for me, but I had a brain cramp and voted for 1998. That decade really seemed to have flown by :blush:

Back
Top Bottom