Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which best describes your retirement?
Out of the US! Winging it on probably $500K in Mexico, Thailand..crewing on boats/teaching English/worrying the hell out of our kids! 2 1.52%
Out of the US! Buying a home out of the country & living a middle class life/limited travel, mostly back to the US. 2 1.52%
Out of the US! I will be upper class outside the US! 1 0.76%
US home based, maybe rented or storage space but mostly traveling the world in a more upscale manner. 2 1.52%
Staying put in moderate cost area! Middle class life, limited travel but no W*rk! 38 28.79%
Staying put in moderate cost area! Upper class life, regular vacations. 19 14.39%
Staying put in high cost area! Middle class life. 19 14.39%
Staying put in high cost area! Upper class lifestyle. 3 2.27%
Moving to LOW/moderate cost area and living very frugally. 9 6.82%
Moving to LOW/moderate cost area and living middle class lifestyle. 18 13.64%
Moving to LOW/moderate cost area and living upper class lifestyle. 3 2.27%
Travel North and South America possibly home based but it could be boat or RV. 5 3.79%
Screw LBYM! I've scrimped and saved. People will think I won the lottery. I WILL live a step up from what I've lived. 7 5.30%
Way other! 4 3.03%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted for staying put in moderate cost area, middle class life, limited travel, no work.
We'll keep our paid-off modest home here in the upper midwest, and our lake cottage, but hope to spend a few months each winter down south somewhere. About one more year to retirement for me, so we'll have to see if this plan works out or not. We could cut back (or cut out) the winter stay down south if we have to - maybe not stay as long down there, and maybe rent a small house in town, rather than a place closer to the beach, to save some $$.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Staying put in moderate cost area! Middle class life, limited travel but no W*rk!

We like the area we live in now. It's relatively close to many of our favorite vacation spots and our kids and grandkids are nearby. The travel would be geared toward escaping from the winter cold in January/February. We're still trying to decide if that will be a rented condo or just a used travel trailer set up in Arizona for the winter. The way the market looks today, we may have to start checking out the higher end camping tents

Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #23

Our plan is to stay right where we are in a low-cost, small home (low utility bills and property taxes). We've been weaning ourselves into a more frugal, lower-cost existence since even before cheap became "cool." Within another 10 12 15 years or so, hopefully we'll have had our retirement stash recover enough that I can start safely drawing from it for income.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #24
Administrator

I voted "Moving to LOW/moderate cost area and living upper class lifestyle", though it felt funny to vote that way.

If Firecalc is correct, I could probably live an upper-middle to upper class lifestyle there. I wouldn't know what to do with a McMansion and a Mercedes, though, so I won't be buying that sort of thing.

I guess you could say that I will live an enriched middle class lifestyle, though, assuming the economy recovers. Otherwise it's back to penny pinching for me and probably for everyone.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I chose 'way other', but only since the questions seem to suggest living in USA, Mexico or S.E. Asia.

I choose Canada, for now, since I've always lived here. I might like 5-6 month vacations during the winter. You never know, maybe southern USA will fit.
It's not that easy making one size fits all polls. I specifically said "staying put" to encompass all areas even Canada! I don't think there are any posts of people moving "OUT" of anywhere except the US, go figger.
Mexico and S.E. Asia were meant to represent an "Adventurer's Guide" type of retirement. Heck, it could be anywhere foreign to you that's perceived to be cheaper than where you've lived most of your life. Perhaps I should have added a snowbird option, high and low end.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retirement may be 30 to 40 years of our life so I think most people will make a few moves along the way . In my last thirty years I moved three times changed husbands , changed jobs and changed my outlook more times than I can remember so I'm sure my retirement will change a few times .
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Voted "stay put in high cost/middle class" but in reality, my retirement was to move FROM moderate cost area/middle class to high cost/middle class. Not one of the poll's options, but close enough, I guess since I've been here more than a year - and I do plan to stay put now. Only travel plans in next few years is to visit the old homestead at least once per year.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I was married to a young women for 6 years - but she got jealous and wanted a divorce because I was too much of a playboy. To my eyes, the other girls are just too beautiful to resist. So I am a single father to a 4 year old boy (which Social Security gives me an extra $800 per month as a dependent child).

This is also part of the reason why I have 2 live-in housekeepers. They are far from being a frustration, unless you mean sexual frustration. I don't have them as concubines. They are here to clean the house, do the laundry, cook, and help take care of my son. Unlike many young women in America, these girls learn how to clean house and take care of children from the time they are young.

I pay them $25 per month each + food + clothes + medical...So I figure it costs me in total about $50 per month for a housekeeper. I had a bamboo and grass roof house built for them - so they have their own private life and I have mine.

As a political commentary... I never could understand why the richest country in the world would not allow housekeepers from developing countries to work in American homes. With both parents working, who has time to clean the house and do the other brainless chores? Singapore (and many other countries) have a system to bring in contract workers for a set period of time. They get passports, learn the local language, learn local customs and come home with enough money to buy a small house. It would be a good arrangement for both the American family and the foreign young men and women who could use the money to get a start on life.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
I was married to a young women for 6 years - but she got jealous and wanted a divorce because I was too much of a playboy.
The nerve of some people. Leaving you just because you were cheating on her? Talk about unreasonable expectations...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I never could understand why the richest country in the world would not allow housekeepers from developing countries to work in American homes.
I believe "the richest country in the world" does allow this (ask my former cleaning lady, my neighbors' nannies, etc.). We just have pay them more than $25 a month to do it.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Hybrid approach is likely for us. Probably stay put in the existing modest home (but could conceivably move to a cheaper area) and then split for 3 or 4 months of the year (winter) in a travel trailer.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I voted "Way other" because none of thre options are exactly right. I'm planning to move, not certain where to, but it will be a warmer place and may be a more expensive area, either in Canada or abroad.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Staying put in moderate cost area! Middle class life, limited travel but no W*rk!

This bracket works for me. I'm content in a small house with limited travel. Short trips to the coast for a little golf is ok with me. I did just book a flight to Cancun for late April. Nephew getting married down there. So will be down there for a few days and just enjoy the bikini's on the beach. That will be my big trip for 2009.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I believe "the richest country in the world" does allow this (ask my former cleaning lady, my neighbors' nannies, etc.). We just have pay them more than $25 a month to do it.
That's just the point. I certainly don't begrudge the work and the salary paid to your cleaning lady and neighbor's nannie. But it seems obvious that no one can afford a full time, live-in nannie to care for the house, the kids, the cooking and the cleaning. I know the cleaning ladies and nannies are both expensive and hard to find - and they are in and out in a few hours.

It just does not seem fair that so many poor people in developing countries would love to work and live in your home for $250 per month. That's a huge salary in many countries. And meanwhile, a large percentage of the population with both husband and wife working must come home and do this grunt work themselves - with less time for the kids.

I know America would never allow any such program to be worked out - even if we could work out something so that the cleaning lady and nannie don't get get the shaft. We just don't do things that way in the US, right?

Another great reason why retiring in a foreign country is so inviting...the lack of American social rules!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was married to a young women for 6 years - but she got jealous and wanted a divorce because I was too much of a playboy. To my eyes, the other girls are just too beautiful to resist. So I am a single father to a 4 year old boy (which Social Security gives me an extra $800 per month as a dependent child).

This is also part of the reason why I have 2 live-in housekeepers. They are far from being a frustration, unless you mean sexual frustration. I don't have them as concubines. They are here to clean the house, do the laundry, cook, and help take care of my son. Unlike many young women in America, these girls learn how to clean house and take care of children from the time they are young.

I pay them $25 per month each + food + clothes + medical...So I figure it costs me in total about $50 per month for a housekeeper. I had a bamboo and grass roof house built for them - so they have their own private life and I have mine.

As a political commentary... I never could understand why the richest country in the world would not allow housekeepers from developing countries to work in American homes. With both parents working, who has time to clean the house and do the other brainless chores? Singapore (and many other countries) have a system to bring in contract workers for a set period of time. They get passports, learn the local language, learn local customs and come home with enough money to buy a small house. It would be a good arrangement for both the American family and the foreign young men and women who could use the money to get a start on life.
Duh! Cause they won't go home! That's how my parent's parents came to America - a Grandmother and an Aunt were 'Swedish' maids who were really Finns. One was a maid up into the 1950's in 'New York City.'

heh heh heh -
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Another great reason why retiring in a foreign country is so inviting...the lack of American social rules!
I don’t get why you are posting on a board that does have social rules
Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Unclemick, read my original post #28 on the subject. "Contract workers for a set period of time" - This is a very standard system thought out the world. I used Singapore as an example, but we also have contract Americans working for Arab nations doing construction and working on oil projects. Its not a new concept. More than 90% of the United Arab Emirates are contract workers from other countries.

CuppaJoe, I post here because I like the subject matter plus the rules are very reasonable. However, you know I would find a LOT OF RULES against a single man hiring a 18 year old school girl to work at my house as a live-in housekeeper/ babysitter - even if I were able to provide a better life for her than she had at home. The worst problem is that American society "looks down" on such an arrangement. And if that isn't bad enough, think what it would like if I tried to marry her! Those are American social rules.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It depends on what you mean by low-moderate cost. I plan to move after retirement to somewhere less expensive than where I live now, in order to be able to have my home completely paid for. But it will still be on the west coast, which I think is, on average, more expensive than much of the rest of the country.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unclemick, read my original post #28 on the subject. "Contract workers for a set period of time" - This is a very standard system thought out the world. I used Singapore as an example, but we also have contract Americans working for Arab nations doing construction and working on oil projects. Its not a new concept. More than 90% of the United Arab Emirates are contract workers from other countries.

CuppaJoe, I post here because I like the subject matter plus the rules are very reasonable. However, you know I would find a LOT OF RULES against a single man hiring a 18 year old school girl to work at my house as a live-in housekeeper/ babysitter - even if I were able to provide a better life for her than she had at home. The worst problem is that American society "looks down" on such an arrangement. And if that isn't bad enough, think what it would like if I tried to marry her! Those are American social rules.
Americans as a general rule do not 'disappear' and melt into the general population in Arab countries and later become citizens.

Heck even the contract workers I knew in the oil patch came back to good old Louisiana to retire.

heh heh heh - I got your point - it's just that I'm having a good time with this thread.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

heh heh heh - I got your point - it's just that I'm having a good time with this thread.
Regarding the OP, looks like your retirement is looking like a lot of fun, Uncle Mick.