Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Slooooow wakeups, scratch my butt as long as needed. No instant full alert efficient get go.

Kick back with a cup of coffee and stare out the window until awake.
+1

Along a similar line - - when intensely involved in something late at night (like taxes or trying to learn about something on the internet, for example), I don't have to just DROP it and go to bed at any particular time. I can stay up until I am done, and just sleep late the next morning. Then, the above applies.

I love the fact that almost nothing has a deadline. If I plan to work on something, and it just doesn't come together for some reason, I can just decide to do it another day and do absolutely nothing instead. Guilt free, too. This is an off-shoot of the "oceans of time" feeling that Goonie sometimes mentions.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Worker Bee. I'm a night owl in a morning lark world, and one of the things I look forward to is being able to stay up until I get sleepy, and then sleep until I wake up. And like W2R, the ability to just keep going until I finish something, instead of having to stop in the middle of what I'm doing.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #23

Four (plus) years now. I probably retired as much to get AWAY from w*rk as I did to DO something in particular. The freedom, and other advantages already mentioned are all true. Still, if someone actually loves their w*rk, I would never push them to retire. You need to know yourself - cause that's who you are going to live with when you are retired. Change of w*rk status doesn't make you someone else. It only allows you to do other things than w*rk. Not to be a downer on this thread at all but the act of retirement doesn't change your life per se. YOU have to do that!

Just taking a SWAG here that you may have some doubts about "What will you DO all day" and other classic retirement heebie jeebies. If so, you need to deal with much of that before pulling the plug. My dad was MISERABLE in retirement because he didn't know how to do anything but w*rk. By the way, I don't consider that WRONG, but I felt sorry for him because he just never could get over it. I've never had that problem, but I have struggled a bit with what exactly to do with the rest of my life. Things are seeming to settle into a comfortable pattern now and certainly, I wouldn't want to go back now that I've tasted the freedom.

None of this is meant as a downer, just a caution - which many have expressed before. Obviously, YMMV. Good luck.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
I'm really looking forward to retirement in a few years, but I have always worked and do not really know what to expect.
If you are retired, what do you like best about it? What is different from what you expected?
If you have not yet retired or are semi-retired, but still work more than 4 hours a day, what do you look forward to the most?
I worked part-time (including some telecommuting) from 2001-2008 before I fully retired in November, 2008, at age 45. For me, the best part about retiring was not having the long, tiring, and often sickening commute to my old office even 2 or 3 days a week, and especially during bad weather such as last week with the snowstorm (in New York). Being able to have a nice, leisurely hot lunch whenever I like is also nice. Not waking up early and rushing through breakfast to catch a train is, too.

As for the work itself, I liked it a lot of the time. But, the awful commute carried over into the start of my workday, making my time actually doing work less enjoyable. [The telecommuting I did for a few years was good until it ended in 2003.] I was always worn out when I got home, making me a blob. However, I do NOT miss the work a single bit.

When I began working part-time in 2001, I was able to resurrect an old evening hobby and begin some midday volunteer work I wanted to do. That became more difficult when the telecommuting ended. But now I have been able to expand on both the evening hobby and the midday volunteer work with very few restrictions or scheduling conflicts.

For the last 15 months, I have been able to come and go as I please, answerable to nobody except my friends and people in my volunteer work I do stuff with. Most of my bills are paid automatically, as are all of my incoming dividends. My overall standard of living is unchanged from when I was working part-time.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why retire?

1. The end (I hope) of a lifetime of sleep-deprivation.

2. Being as creative as I want, and not apologizing to anybody for it.

These may seem like very modest expectations, but they mean a lot to me.

Amethyst
Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I left megacorp about 2 1/2 years ago. The best thing for me was escaping a toxic work environment - it was a destructive and demoralizing situation and I really needed to be out of it. I also felt "cooped up" when I was stuck in an office all day, sometimes not even able to see outside. I feel so much more connected to the outdoors now. Even if I'm inside, I can look out or step outside whenever I want to.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My job was very stressful and required travel. I spent so much time away from everything and everyone I love. One of the best things is being able to spend more time with my mom. She's 79, in good health, and lives about 8 miles away. I'm lucky because she and I really enjoy each other's company. I had very little time with her when I was working. The weekends were filled with chores and it was hard to have quality time with my husband, let alone friends and relatives.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The best thing for me is the freedom to do what I want when I want. There were parts of my j*b that I enjoyed, but I didn't enjoy that I had to be there at a certain time 5 days per week (with spill over to evenings and weekends). Now that I am retired I find plenty to do and plenty to look forward to. I love that my weekends are not crowded with chores that I was too tired to do when I got home from w*rk on weekdays. I am still in the very early phase of retirement and love the feeling that I get on Sunday evening when I realize that I don't have to rush around getting ready for the week.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

[ love the feeling that I get on Sunday evening when I realize that I don't have to rush around getting ready for the week.[/QUOTE]

That is what I am looking forward to.
Especially taking trips to weekend events 5-6 hours away and not having to drive home on Sunday night and and be up for work the next day.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
[ love the feeling that I get on Sunday evening when I realize that I don't have to rush around getting ready for the week.
That is what I am looking forward to.
Especially taking trips to weekend events 5-6 hours away and not having to drive home on Sunday night and and be up for work the next day.[/QUOTE]

Theloneranger nailed it; that Sunday night realization is wonderful.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
The best thing for me was escaping a toxic work environment - it was a destructive and demoralizing situation and I really needed to be out of it.
Oh yeah. This too. Big time. My last boss was a sweet looking young woman. She has two adorable kids and teaches Sunday school. In the office, she was evil personified.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #32

Been retired over 3 years. Love being able to workout every day (and getting in great shape), travel whenever we want, ski and mountain bike regularly. Life is good.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #33

I have been unemployed for 7.5 months and was considering ER. No worry about money during the 7.5 months so it was quite enjoyable. My greatest fear was that someone would offer me a j*b with pay worth going back to w*rk has come to pass so I will be starting a new job on 3/22. Last night, I mourned the passing of my last dread-free Sunday for a few years.

I'm curious to see what my attitude is going to be at w*rk now that I have experienced "the other side." I'm wondering if dipping my toe into ER will help me keep a better w*rk/life balance.

I had no trouble filling my time with whatever I wanted to do and the time flew by. The total freedom was wonderful and I know I will totally enjoy being ER'd in a few years......or sooner if I can't cut it back in the full-time w*rk world.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Along a similar line - - when intensely involved in something late at night (like taxes or trying to learn about something on the internet, for example), I don't have to just DROP it and go to bed at any particular time. I can stay up until I am done, and just sleep late the next morning. Then, the above applies.
Ooh, good one. I have to do that all the time and it ticks me off. I am always saying that work puts a cramp in my lifestyle.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #35

Not being called in to work by a client on a public holiday (it's Chinese New Year here) is one of the things I am looking forward to post retirement.

Also on my list of things to look forward to:

1. not having to watch my blackberry twice an hour

2. not cringing everytime my mobile rings on a Friday night/weekend

3. not having to lie about already having early morning conference calls so I can take my daughters to school in the morning

4. spending more time outdoors than indoors

5. not being envious of all the people on this board who have already FIREd

Sigh......three years, ten months and thirteen days of reading how good it is be retired to go.....
Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
not cringing everytime my mobile rings
For me it's Outlook's "new email" sound. I have this Pavlovian response to it. Somewhere between nausea and terror. Make it stop!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
For me it's Outlook's "new email" sound. I have this Pavlovian response to it. Somewhere between nausea and terror. Make it stop!
You can - it's an option .

Not only did I have the notification sound turned off I also had the visual notification turned off so that I could work undisturbed by e-mail. I also used to ignore the phone when I was busy - let it go to voice mail and deal with it when I am ready.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm helping a friend's college age son with a problem on his laptop when he gets back from class. While working that would have been done in the evening and I would have really resented "working" in my spare time. (I used to work in IT).
Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
You should change your "New Mail' sound to something more upbeat... like:

Homer: "The mail! The mail's here! Oooh!"

Go to You've Got Mail! Cool Television WAV Archive for many other suggestions.

No, I don't like that it opens in QuickTime. If you don't have that program installed, simply right click on the link and choose "Save Target as" to download the file and use any program you have installed that will play a .WAV file.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You can - it's an option .
Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem isn't the sound or the interruption; it's what it represents. I've chosen the "Get out of Dodge" option, which I haven't seen on any Outlook menu so far.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Sigh......three years, ten months and thirteen days of reading how good it is be retired to go.....
From a guy that has a little over 4 months to go, I'd love to tell you that it goes quick. Sorry, it doesn't. It seems the closer you get, the further away it seems. Good news, it will get here...eventually.