Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
The social contact is the biggest problem, I find. Have been early-retired since July 2009. Of course, I'm doing very little on my part to get out and find friendships -
OMA - Are you living in your own home or are you part of a community structured for retired and/or 55+? We moved into a 55+ apartment community in Largo and I met a ton of folks right away with very little effort. I've lived in single family homes and apartments but I've never become so integrated into my "community" as quickly as I have here. I will be starting a j*b on Monday and will be able to purchase a home but I don't want to. I really like living here. It's me (50) and DH (60) so we have a built in friend. Even so, we have both made friends with folks in our community without trying very hard.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
OMA - Are you living in your own home or are you part of a community structured for retired and/or 55+? We moved into a 55+ apartment community in Largo and I met a ton of folks right away with very little effort. I've lived in single family homes and apartments but I've never become so integrated into my "community" as quickly as I have here. I will be starting a j*b on Monday and will be able to purchase a home but I don't want to. I really like living here. It's me (50) and DH (60) so we have a built in friend. Even so, we have both made friends with folks in our community without trying very hard.
OMG, I would add that to my list. Since we, and a lot of our friends, had kids there is hardly enough time to keep existing friendships going, much less finding new ones. We have found that trying to bond with people just because our kids are friends or are on the same baseball team isn't the best way to find new friends. We both agree that one of our goals is to find some new friends and re-acquaint ourselves with our old friends. I miss having reliable fishing and golfing buddies. Definitely something I am looking forward too.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
The social contact is the biggest problem, I find. Have been early-retired since July 2009. Of course, I'm doing very little on my part to get out and find friendships -

That will come . When I decided I needed some new friends I just joined a gym and talked to everybody . I then started a regular class and little by little I found friends . As you get more involved in the community and doing things you will find friends especially since you are in Florida and everybody is from somewhere else and looking for new friends .
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
OMA - Are you living in your own home or are you part of a community structured for retired and/or 55+? We moved into a 55+ apartment community in Largo and I met a ton of folks right away with very little effort. .

Before I moved to my present home I lived in a community and it was instant friends . Sometimes it was actually a little too much socialization for me but it certainly was fun !
Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #65

Retired 2 1/2 years. Before then;
I didn't know that I needed 7 to 8 hours of sleep to feel rested.
I now go to sleep when I want and wake up when I 'wake up'.
Stress levels (which I did not even realize I was going through) have been reduced to almost nil (still get the occasional flack from dw ). Like going from a 80 to a 5 ... on a scale of 1 to 100, 100 being total stressed out.
My blood pressure was marginal, now in the normal range.
I had back issues brought on from my sedentary life style of a desk bound wage slave, took years to make it bad and is much better (for a while there, I thought I would need a wheel chair to get around), but still working to get back to normal.
Weight was 20 pounds heavier, cholesteral was in the danger zone. Now lighter and healthy now.
No time for pleasures in life. Now we visit family (and my grandson) and friends more. Grandson says he has finally taught me how to fish (6 year old whipper snapper). We travel much more. Time to pursue hobbies and find new ones. Meeting and enjoying new people and experiences.

I expected retirement to be pretty good. We had worked hard in the planning and execution of it. It turned out to exceed expectations.

Other than that ... being retired is lot like w*rking ... NOT
It's good to be me .... Jump on in, the waters fine!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Buckeye -

I totally here where you're coming from in terms of being unemployed and then going back with a new mindset. I quit my job fourteen months ago (after making a little dough in a sale), and spent the first twelve months consulting for the old employer. Now it's been two months with no work, but I am now interviewing with another company (they called me) for a pretty big job with a lot of responsibility. Don't have an offer yet, but it's looking pretty good. I had thought I would keep consulting indefinitely, but have found myself getting pretty depressed being on my own as more time goes by - feeling in limbo, somewhat rudderless and purposeless. I'm either going to go back to school for an education degree (to teach English) or go back to the business world for a few more years. I'm only 39, so should have plenty of energy left to keep working for the Man. I wonder if I will have a better mindset if I go back because I will have realized that a job is good for my head (even with all the stress), that I have a good degree of financial security now so could quit if I hate it, and I can fantasize about becoming a teacher for the second half of my career. I will also sweep almost the entirety of every paycheck right into my retirement savings. I'm hoping these thoughts will give me a healthier perspective on work than when I used to feel that I had no choice but to go collect my paycheck indefinitely.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeguy View Post
... and I can fantasize about becoming a teacher for the second half of my career.
I spent my entire career as a university teacher, as did my wife (she taught English). We have talked to dozens of people who fantasize about being a teacher ... but we don't know one of these individuals who actually made the transition. Going from the business world to to the academic world is a huge, difficult step as your career proceeds. My recommendation: If you really want to teach, do it now. Follow your dream. It will only become more difficult in the future.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
I spent my entire career as a university teacher, as did my wife (she taught Enlish). We have talked to dozens of people who fantasize about being a teacher ... but we don't know one of these individuals who actually made the transition.
I've never fantasized about being a teacher. I've just fantasized about having their retirement benefits.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #69

Survived the first day at the new j*b. Employer was very organized. I signed up for benefits online (insurances as well as 401(k)) prior to the first day. Received an access badge with a GOOD picture, new laptop, email address, phone number and office on the first day. Even had a task in my email to complete an online IT Security training course with a due date of today since I'd already been given my laptop. Training course was informative and well-constructed.

Probably can't justify parking in Visitor parking tomorrow like I did today.

All is well except my work area and office are nowhere near sunlight. I feel like a gopher. I might have to change my screen name or at least add a gopher avatar.

My husband felt guilty about me going back to work and him still staying home so he cooked me a nice dinner.

Can you feel the excitement? I need to work at least on pay period to pay for my Nordstrom's shopping trip for a work wardrobe.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Buckeye,
Congratulations on surviving the first day at your new j*b. Although your excitement may be lacking at the moment, it is truely a blessing to have a j*b when you need one. Hopefully the financial and social benefits will carry you for a while.
Maybe we can both consider starting a count-down to FIRE calendar. In the meanwhile, best of luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've never fantasized about being a teacher. I've just fantasized about having their retirement benefits.
Now that IS funny.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I'll revive this thread...
I have a nice little tax refund coming this year. Instead of investing it, I am going to put it in my savings account and plan another low budget adventure.
My 3 year FIRE anniversary is coming up in April and this is just the excuse I need to celebrate. The ocean beckons to me yet again...
I went to a few travel destination sites today, and all of a sudden this light bulb went off in my head. No constraints of any kind except cost were upon me as I surfed.
One of the best things about retirement is the fact that I can pick any coastal destination I want, and any time I want, completely avoiding the spring break and summer tourist seasons.
I can stay as long as I can afford, and there is nothing to "finish up" before I go on "vacation".
Priceless...
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #73

4 weeks into retirement now, and I was thinking that when I was a kid I used to go out and play every day and have a great time.

Retirement is turning out to be just like that, and we haven't even started on our long holidays yet, which is when I expected to be having the most fun.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
One of the best things about retirement is the fact that I can pick any coastal destination I want, and any time I want, completely avoiding the spring break and summer tourist seasons....
Years ago I went traveling during the months of March and April, it's a minefield; I found people on spring break every one of those weeks, obviously from different schools and of course, people from France and Germany have what, eight weeks of vacation. But not to worry, even with a continual supply of spring breakers, there was lots of space and good deals to be had.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

benefits of early retirement...

I had a girlfriend that looooved staying in bed till noon and cuddling... she said she wanted to retire too at 35
Old 02-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Worker Bee,

The bottom line to life is being happy! Everyone is different and maybe retirement is not the thing for you. Or possibly you may be happier in a different job. You need to do some soul searching and ask yourself a few basic questions.

A few questions like...do you dread going into work? Some days more than others, but in general just tired of going in? Or do you just flat hate going in? Do you have much in common with the people you work with and get along pretty good with them and have the same interests? Do you feel like you are wasting your time at work? Can you support yourself, if retired? Have you run the numbers? Are you a self starter...that is, can you keep yourself occupied and have hobbies/interests you like to pursue? Do your real life interests overwhelm your budgeted time off so as to make you feel short changed because of going to work? Do have a desire to travel or have interests in other places, or people? Do you derive your ego, (or who you feel you are), from your work/position or are you comfortable with being who you really are? Do you feel a drive to accomplish/do things in your life that are not connected with work and work is getting in the way?

If you look at it in a logical light and the pros outnumber the no's, then go with the pro's. Only you know the answers.

For me, that drive is driving me crazy. I have less than 4 years and think about it every day. Life is short and ticking away. Not many people in this world ever get a second chance at living life on their terms. But I feel I do! I suspect retirement is unheard of in many countries because of the political nature of the country and the class/caste system. We are a lucky and smart lot to be able to choose and do something about it!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #77

I took an ER trial back in 2006. I can't say that I was 100% satisfied with the experience because I knew that there were other things I wanted to do in my career. Fast forward 4 years, and after pretty much wasting my time in another computer job that's going nowhere, I can see I will pull the plug with no doubt or regrets the next time. My recent 2 weeks off during Christmas was the closest thing I can compare to ER, and it was wonderful. I did not feel bored at all. In fact, I finally got around to writing some trading programs I have been wanting to write for a long time because I had big blocks of time to sit and think. I went to the gym regularly, and, most important, I forgot all of the BS back at the office and because of that, got so much better sleep.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I finally got around to writing some trading programs I have been wanting to write for a long time ... I went to the gym regularly ... got so much better sleep.
Yep, these are the joys of retirement: completing projects that YOU want to do, getting more exercise (and taking better care of yourself in general), and getting better sleep.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've never fantasized about being a teacher.
I have (about a teacher) - Sister Sarah in 7th grade ...

Oh, how times change. I understand that you now can date a Nun; you just can't get into the "habit" ...
Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

This is where those of use who had seasonal employment are pretty well prepared for extended periods of being "paid" with no requirements for doing anything. I used to get in my camper in the summer time with the two kids and wife and dog and head out until we ran out of money and then come back. I remember a number of times when we had been gone for about a month when we suddenly decided we'd had enough and headed back. My dad used to do the same thing when he was traveling when retired, except he would make these marathon drives to back home, like driving 15 to 18 hours straight without any break. My mother would have to threaten to pee on the floor to get him to stop.