Join Early Retirement Today

What's so good about retirement?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What's so good about retirement?

I'm really looking forward to retirement in a few years, but I have always worked and do not really know what to expect.
If you are retired, what do you like best about it? What is different from what you expected?
If you have not yet retired or are semi-retired, but still work more than 4 hours a day, what do you look forward to the most?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've still got a couple of weeks to go, so I'm in the "looking forward" mode: the ability to spend my time as I choose, and not be a well-fed slave of an economic system.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been fully retired two years and partially retired a year before that . The best part is the freedom to do whatever you want and the second best part is no alarm clock . The hard parts are forming your own routine so you do not become a giant slug and meeting new people and forming friendships . It is a journey but a fun one ! I had no preconceived ideas about retirement so no illusions to break.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Worker Bee, I'd think it would be fun just to think up a new username. Some people change it when they jump the broom, go over to the bright side, retire. Today, I realize it's Sunday, tomorrow is a holiday, oh yeah, so is today, retired 18 months now and I still enjoy not having to prepare for a new w*rk week. Sometimes I still jump for joy that I'm not at work. This could be the first year that I will see most of the nominated movies; there are many things I did while working but less often. Love wearing casual clothes all the time.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
I'm really looking forward to retirement in a few years, but I have always worked and do not really know what to expect.
Well, if you have to ask...

Let me guess. You are approaching 80 years old and are being forced, kicking and screaming, out to pasture. Too bad. Deal with it.

Quote:
If you are retired, what do you like best about it? What is different from what you expected?
I have been retired well over ten years now and, to be honest, have forgotten most of what the alternative entails. Nevertheless, I can truly say that I "like" every thing about it.

I expected life to go on, in its own bumbling way, and I have not been disappointed at all.

Whatever it is that has caused you to ask this question will be taken care of once you give up (on) the w*rk world. If nothing else, you will have the time (and most likely, the energy) to deal with it properly
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've been fully retired two years and partially retired a year before that . The best part is the freedom to do whatever you want and the second best part is no alarm clock . The hard parts are forming your own routine so you do not become a giant slug and meeting new people and forming friendships . It is a journey but a fun one ! I had no preconceived ideas about retirement so no illusions to break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Worker Bee, I'd think it would be fun just to think up a new username. Some people change it when they jump the broom, go over to the bright side, retire. Today, I realize it's Sunday, tomorrow is a holiday, oh yeah, so is today, retired 18 months now and I still enjoy not having to prepare for a new w*rk week. Sometimes I still jump for joy that I'm not at work. This could be the first year that I will see most of the nominated movies; there are many things I did while working but less often. Love wearing casual clothes all the time.
What they said applies to me also, it has only been 2 weeks and I love it

I owe a big thinks DW who ESR'ed several years before me and organized herself into a great schedule and new circle of friends through the YMCA that I used to meet and I also got into some of the routine after work and at weekends. Retiring and getting into the new lifestyle and routine full time has been very easy.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have been retired for more than 5 years. I have lost weight and have much improved blood pressure. Come to the retired side, it is all better.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #8

I've been retired for almost 3 years now....and what I like best about retirement, is that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want! Or...I can do absolutely, positively nothing at all for as long as I want, anytime that I want to!

Moemg, what's an alarm clock? I forget!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Best part? The freedom...a Freebird like me was chained up in the c*reer cage with unsmiling people for way too long. I loved the field and of course the p*ycheck and benefits, but definitely not the backstabbing politics.

What was different from my own expectations? After the intial euphoria and Snoopy dancing, it took me a LOT longer to decompress than I expected. Type A's are like that.

I will be celebrating 3 years of FIRE on April 1.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post

Moemg, what's an alarm clock? I forget!

It is an annoying thing that rings . It is useful for early appointments which I try to avoid or early flights .
Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #11

Just want to agree with what everyone else is saying; the freedom is great. I also have lost weight and lowered my BP.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #12

Retired 4 years now. Put me in the everything box. I don't volunteer, I don't have a bunch of hobbies, I do what ever I want when ever I want to. Absolute freedom! Until you experience it, it is hard to describe. No commitment on your time, unless you want it there. No responsibilities! Ok, so some would disagree with that last one, so I'll put it, No responsibilities imposed by others.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm retired....so....I can please myself instead of pleasing my boss.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
..... No commitment on your time, unless you want it there.....
That is the main contributing factor to adding some extra days onto our current Florida trip. Our most recent addition was one more day on the end, so we don't need to leave Nashville until late morning....maybe even lunch time....to only drive an easy 250 miles or so, and finish up the next day in about the same length of time.

Lack of time constraints = Flexibility of schedule!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #15

I'm not retired yet, but to me, retirement sounds like summer vacation when I was 12...except even better because I will have money which i didnt have when I was 12 and I wont have my parents telling what to do all the time. Well, I have a wife, but shes not too bossy and I kind of want to keep her.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
If you are retired, what do you like best about it?
Of all the things retirement gives you, for me the best is the freedom to do what I want, when I want. Freedom means so much to me since I had very little of it in my wor*ing years (7x24 field).

Quote:
What is different from what you expected?
Actually I had no pre-conceived notions so I had no model to actually measure the way retirement has turned out, for me.

If I knew it was to be this good, it would have pushed me to retire earlier than I did (age 59). OTOH, if I knew it was going to be this good but I didn't have the financial assets to retire, it probably would have lead to a bit of depression in my wor*ing years...
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Looking forward to seeing the world on a full time basis rather than a week at a time (and a week which ends up being interrupted by work calls and emails anyway).
Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look forward to the endless weekend. Not trying to cram everything I want to do into two days and having those plans scuttled by weather, a cold or flu or just plain needing some quiet decompression time instead. I look forward to doing what I want when I want. Even if I have a job, I will be there because I want to be, not because the golden handcuffs are holding me there to get a pension. On those days when I am feeling adventurous I an go on an adventure, on those days I am feeling industrious, I can get some honeydos done and when I feel like laying in bed and reading a book or playing the PS3 all day I can do it and not feel like I "wasted" a precious weekend day doing "nothing".

I also look forward to not having the Sunday dreads. That feeling of impending doom most of us get on Sunday knowing Monday is right around the corner. And in the short term, I know I will have them even after I retire out of habit, but I can't wait to get that feeling and remind myself I don't have to go anywhere on Monday.

I look forward to going places and doing things at the off peak times. I hate crowds. I will go fishing or golfing on Saturday or take the kids to Disneyland in the middle of summer or see a movie on Friday night, but the crowds take away so much. I can't wait to go fishing on Tuesday when the rivers and lakes are all but empty, go golfing on Thursday at 10:00 am and seemingly have the course to myself or see a movie the Monday afternoon after it opens, just me an a handful of other retired folks. I think that the weekends are as much a part of the rat race as the weekdays. Everyone gets off work Friday and drives to the lake or the ski lodge or to Chili's and a movie. Its a hassle, its crowded and its stressful. Summer is the same way, you want to take your kids to Disneyland for a week, but so do 100,000 other people. I look forward to dropping out of that as much as I do the weekday work world.

Further down the road when my kids are on their own, I look forward to spending lots of uninterrupted time with my wife, going on trips, maybe full-time RVing, maybe just settling into a smaller home in a different local. Basically, living for us. Not my job or my bosses whims or my kid's demands (not that I don't enjoy raising them, but it ain't all peaches and cream with 2 teenage boys). Just following our dreams.

Just 4 more months!!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #19

Slooooow wakeups, scratch my butt as long as needed. No instant full alert efficient get go.

Kick back with a cup of coffee and stare out the window until awake.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I think that the weekends are as much a part of the rat race as the weekdays.
Being able to "counter-sync" with the crowds is something I'm really looking forward to too. In Southern California, just being able to avoid the crowds imrproves your lifestyle significantly. It has cost benefits too: less gas while stuck in traffic, matinee prices instead of full, etc. etc.