Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You had me there 'til the blackberry. Nobody gives up a blackberry that easily, unless it's to trade it in for an iPhone.

I know what blackberries are. They taste good. But what is that iPhone thing?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement starts with a day off, then another, and another .....Everyday is like a Saturday without being followed by a day with a Sunday evening.

Having always enjoyed reading, I soon went to the library (open during business hours--neener, neener, neerer to those still working) and started consecutively reading the complete works of my favorite authors. At sundown, I would drink a beer at home to celebrate that I was not at work, not having to hurry to finish before dark. After winter was over, I started getting out more, but that was how I spent my decompression period.

The euphoria lasted a long time and still returns in bouts. These six years have been the best years of my life.

This is true but I'm not the originator.
Retiree's wife: What are you going to do today?
Retiree: Nothing.
Retiree's wife: But that is what you did yesterday!
Retiree: Yes, but I didn't finish.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love it. I read it to DW - her response was "Oh, boy"
Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Love the graph by FIREd. Very true and that little "hump" of post-retirement activity is pretty humorous in retrospect.

I started some serious budget tracking in Quicken along with an Excel list of projects and goals for our sail boat/home. Since I'd always used Quicken for investments, that habit has been easy to keep up over the years. The Excel "Project list" on the other hand was a hold-over from work mentality and quickly fell off of my radar. Miraculously, things still get done in their own time.

As many have mentioned, there is certainly decompression needed - both physical and mental. I expected and found it to be true that at least one year was needed to mentally dissociate from a career, not just the stress but the sense of responsibility, identity and personal connections. It is interesting to see/feel the transition occur; for example, when talking with friends/ex-coworkers much later and realizing that the current work pressures, intrigues or reorganizations seem so less relevant to you personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
Retirement starts with a day off, then another, and another .....Everyday is like a Saturday without being followed by a day with a Sunday evening.
So true... what day is it today again?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-d-g View Post
We'll be joining the FIRE ranks in 10 days as long as nothing derails our business sale deal.

I'm 35, live in Manhattan, married, with a kid still in school.

What's the first day/week/month/year like?

I've worked basically 70+ hour weeks for the last 7 years growing this business. To be clear, I'm not a workaholic (at all). It was necessary to build the business to where we are now.

My retired father is convinced I'll be bored out of my mind within a week.
I'm similar to OP, sold my business at 39 a few years back which I was putting in 70-100 hour weeks.

But honestly, ER for me after a few years now has been tough. Every morning when I had the business, waking up to the alarm clock, hitting the 9 minute snooze, I always thought if I could just sleep in as long as I want that would be the best thing ever. But now with no obligations I can easily sleep in 10 or 11 hours, do a casual breakfast/lunch, and suddenly it's afternoon and the sun's almost down. I almost liked life better when I needed to be in the office by 8 and had the whole day ahead of me.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?
Yes. But awareness is the first step to solving the "problem".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Just had what I guess would qualify as my first week of FIRE. We became FI two weeks ago but I have to stick around to train the purchasers of my business for 3 months. Sure, it's more "consulting" than "working" but I still have to get up in the morning and go back in to the office.

Well, part of the negotiation was that I would get a week off during Christmas/New Years to go take a laptop/Blackberry free vacation with my wife and child (my first in 7 years and first with enough money to enjoy ourselves).

In some ways, it was just incredible. I got to take my kid to a water park until 1pm on a weekday and never once wondered what I was missing at the office. I got to drink Bloody Mary's for brunch on a Wednesday. I got to take a nap (!). At night, I didn't have to go through a list of clients I was working on that day to think about who would come back with their hair on fire the next morning. I slept. A lot. I stared into the Caribbean Sea. A lot. It was great.

But at the same time, it's a little disorienting. It's Friday night and it feels like....uh....I'm not sure. What day is it again? Do I work tomorrow? Did I work today? I'm sure this will fade with time, but I'm almost nervous as hell because I can't figure out why I'm not nervous about something. Does this happen to everyone?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In some ways, it was just incredible. I got to take my kid to a water park until 1pm on a weekday and never once wondered what I was missing at the office. I got to drink Bloody Mary's for brunch on a Wednesday. I got to take a nap (!). At night, I didn't have to go through a list of clients I was working on that day to think about who would come back with their hair on fire the next morning. I slept. A lot. I stared into the Caribbean Sea. A lot. It was great.
This is usually how the hostages behave for a few months after the police free them from the kidnappers.

But seriously, your body is recovering from chronic fatigue. You'll go through a few months of adjusting physically & emotionally as well as mentally. The sooner you get on an exercise routine (and limit the drinking/food routines) the better.

After nine years of ER I still try to take a daily nap, preferably 30-60 minutes. There are a few days when I'm too wired to nap, and a few days when I'm too exhausted to sleep less than two hours. But I hate powering through 16 consecutive hours of wakefulness, caffeinated or not, and I try to avoid it whenever possible. Everyone else is much more pleasant to be around when I limit my awake time to eight hours.

By the way, if you're going to stare into the Caribbean then you might want to consider surfing lessons. Or at least a stand-up paddleboard.

Quote:
But at the same time, it's a little disorienting. It's Friday night and it feels like....uh....I'm not sure. What day is it again? Do I work tomorrow? Did I work today? I'm sure this will fade with time, but I'm almost nervous as hell because I can't figure out why I'm not nervous about something. Does this happen to everyone?
No more Sunday Night Syndrome, and no more Thank Goodness It's Friday! Instead you'll celebrate "Thank Goodness It's Monday", when all the workers get off the roads and out of the public spaces, go back to their cubicles, and leave the rest of the world free for you to go out again.

We regularly lose track of what day it is. As in "I need to look at a calendar" lose track. Some people use a dayclock, others have set routines. I try to shave every Mon & Thu, and we try to have pizza dinner every Thu. We also try to work out every Sun, Tue, & Thu morning and I try to do taekwondo on Mon & Wed. Tue is trash day, Fri is either recycle or green waste. And so on.

You'll adjust. Relax and enjoy the process, and try not to worry about the results!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
No more Sunday Night Syndrome, and no more Thank Goodness It's Friday! Instead you'll celebrate "Thank Goodness It's Monday", when all the workers get off the roads and out of the public spaces, go back to their cubicles, and leave the rest of the world free for you to go out again.

We regularly lose track of what day it is. As in "I need to look at a calendar" lose track. Some people use a dayclock, others have set routines. I try to shave every Mon & Thu, and we try to have pizza dinner every Thu. We also try to work out every Sun, Tue, & Thu morning and I try to do taekwondo on Mon & Wed. Tue is trash day, Fri is either recycle or green waste. And so on.
Exactly. Weekends are no longer a refuge from work, they are to be avoided. Weekdays are the best days. You get the world back from the employed. No lines, no waiting, no crowds. Mondays are the new Fridays.

I cant loose track of days. I have kids at home, but in the summer i get a taste of it. Last summer, my first entire summer retired, I often lost track of the days. I do lose track of weeks. I don't remember approaching holidays, or what part of the month it is or even what month it is sometimes.

It's a little disconcerting at first. We've all spent years keeping track of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years (Years to know ho long until FIRE) and then suddenly we don't have to. It's like riding a bike without the training wheels for the first time. Scary, but exhilarating.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote