Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I miss the lunchtime dips in the Secretarial pool!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I miss the lunchtime dips in the Secretarial pool!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Biggest downside for me is not having enough time. Sounds counter-intuitive, but I can't believe how quickly the days go by. I hate having to sleep now. It's not a respite from a hectic day, its a necessary interruption in the fun.

IMO, there really is no downside. Life goes on, bad stuff happens, good stuff happens and sometimes no stuff happens. Id' rather face life without the necessity of working for a living, thank you. Everything is easier when you're not burning yourself out eight hours a day at work. The biggest downside for retirees is their attitude, not anything inherently bad about retirement.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm loving the responses guys! It's so inspiring to hear them all. Makes me even more motivated to join you guys, even though it's a long, long time away. I want what you guys have so bad!!! I believe the slang the kids are using these days is "mad jelly" (very jealous)

Seriously though kudos for getting there guys. Live it up!
Boglehead213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #25

This isn't specifically an answer to your question but it was an interesting observation for me.

I had never really thought about it nor investigated it, so I was a bit surprised after I retired 5 years ago, to find that most things (concerts, theater, adult ed classes, lectures, seminars, meetup.com activities, etc.) are scheduled for nights and weekends.

It makes sense, as the majority of people are working the typical 8-5, M-F schedule.

So, I've just learned to amuse myself M-F, 8-5...and then plan on going to scheduled things evenings and weekends...with or without my working friends.

Another thing, initially, I was also a bit taken aback at how empty stores are in the daytime. Now it's the only time I care to shop.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #26

I thought that whoopee frequency would increase by multiples after ER what with all the free time and more energy, working out, etc etc but sad to report still same...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
This isn't specifically an answer to your question but it was an interesting observation for me.

I had never really thought about it nor investigated it, so I was a bit surprised after I retired 5 years ago, to find that most things (concerts, theater, adult ed classes, lectures, seminars, meetup.com activities, etc.) are scheduled for nights and weekends.

It makes sense, as the majority of people are working the typical 8-5, M-F schedule.

So, I've just learned to amuse myself M-F, 8-5...and then plan on going to scheduled things evenings and weekends...with or without my working friends.

Another thing, initially, I was also a bit taken aback at how empty stores are in the daytime. Now it's the only time I care to shop.

omni
This is what happened to me when I first switched from working full time to part time back in 2001. It was great being able to do my errands on weekdays during the day and not during the lunch hour. Those errands included food shopping and trips to the mall and bank in the late morning hours, such as between 10 AM and noon. Those places are quite empty at that time and the service is much better, too.

My volunteer work is midday on weekdays so I have been able to fit that and my errands into the weekdays while doing my square dancing at night as often as I like. ER is sure great!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #28

Not retired just yet, but from discussions with mrs traineeinvestor about what I will do all day, I may end up missing the comparatively short pre-retirement "honey do" list......
Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even though we all know it beforehand, it is funny how you get used to shopping without the crowds. Now when I do have to shop on the weekend/evening it seems crowded, where it was normal before.

However when I shop during the day, I was taken aback by all the old people and young mothers with kids in the stores. Sheeeeeesh...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #30

Quote:

I'm not yet retired, but I've found the opposite for the activities that I want to do since all of the things on my to do/to learn class are only offered during the day including master gardener classes, pickleball leagues and bridge classes.

I know these are primarily activities for retired people, so guess I'm just getting ahead of myself, but I'll have no problem filling my day with activies based on my list of things to do/learn.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, I'm not yet sure about what is the most over-rated thing about ER.... still getting used to it! But this is an interesting topic as are the viewpoints in it.

The only thing I can think of is the thought that getting away from a work-defined schedule is a big advantage. Maybe so, but a schedule is still a good thing when warranted. I think you just have to learn the right way for you to set your own schedule.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The only thing I can think of is the thought that getting away from a work-defined schedule is a big advantage. Maybe so, but a schedule is still a good thing when warranted. I think you just have to learn the right way for you to set your own schedule.
+1

I'm rather flexible and free-spirited and single (so no one has any expectations of me doing anything with/for them).

After a while, with a totally unstructured life in retirement, I was actually feeling a bit disoriented (what day is this?) and unfocussed. It has helped me to set up certain days for exercising, take some classes, do a few social things, etc. which gives me the sense that there's some schedule or framework in my life.

omni
omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
most overrated thing about ER

Can't think of a thing at this time. It's all good.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
What's the most overrated thing about ER?
Well, if you don't watch much TV you might lose track of time. I forgot Mother's day is tomorrow. Potential disaster territory here. We'll see how plan B works...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, if you don't watch much TV you might lose track of time. I forgot Mother's day is tomorrow. Potential disaster territory here. We'll see how plan B works...
Rut-roh
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Rut-roh
Well, so much for plan B. Plan C is promising, though.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #37

Some have said you will be bored to tears when you retire. Not me. Actually, there is enough to do that I do not know how I found time to go to my paying job.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most overrated? Most articles I read about retirement, early or otherwise, play up the freedom to travel as much as you want and can afford. I found having all the time in the world for travel also meant: it was too easy to put off planning, that more time on a trip doesn't translate into more enjoyment, that when one takes the time to amble instead of sprint along the tourist trail that the homogeneity in any one place becomes apparent (best expressed when I overheard one young woman with a crestfallen look as she and her friend walked out of a clothes store "Everyone is selling the same things.")

One of the main advantages to retirement, ER or otherwise, is all the time in the world to do whatever you want. I love that time evaporates when I start learning to play a new tune, when I drop into the Linux command line to automate a computer task, when I pick up the new novel by one of my favorites, when shooting or editing photos. Downside is I didn't expect to question the abundance, to wonder if there were better ways I could be spending my time given my age, fitness, finances and whatever economic, political and social forces are having large influences on life.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Some have said you will be bored to tears when you retire. Not me. Actually, there is enough to do that I do not know how I found time to go to my paying job.
+1
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Because I had been workng part-time for 7 years prior to my ER, I already had plenty to do in my free time. What had been happening in those years was I ran into scheduling conflicts between my work days and my other activities, often frustrating me. Work had become a growing nuisance, so getting rid of the work enabled me to expand on my outside activities, replacing the time I had spent working. It has all worked out very well.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote