What's Wrong With Too Much Internet?

Ummm . . . and this is a problem because:confused:

Yes, that's a good point. However, sometimes at the end of the day I like the feeling of having split a bunch of firewood, or memorized a new tune, or cleaned the house, etc.

Yes, that's a good point. However, sometimes at the end of the day I like the feeling of having split a bunch of firewood, or memorized a new tune, or cleaned the house, etc.

To paraphrase Neil Young, I started off real slow, then fizzled out all together...

Thinking about the "too much TV", "too much internet", even the "too much sex" debate, I think I came to a realization.

Saying that someone does "too much" of something implies that as a result, this person's health, happiness, or personal fulfillment has suffered, or that this person's responsibilities are not being met, or that somehow this person is doing something immoral or unethical.

So I am thinking - - - if I am ecstatically happy and satisfied with my life and not lacking in personal fulfillment, if my health is not suffering as a consequence, and if I am meeting all of my responsibilities, and if I am abiding by the laws of the state and my own moral/ethical boundaries, then I can do whatever I d*** well please.

Of course, I could be wrong..... :whistle:

Well said:cool:

I remember going into a Radio Shack store as a teenager and seeing a computer (probably a TRS-80 or similar). I asked the salesman "What does it do?" to which he replied "What do you want it to do?"

Typical salesman line of course, but though the wide array of possibilities suggested by his words might have been an overstatement for those early personal computers, it doesn't seem too far off for the powerhouses we have in our homes nowadays.

I used to have the SETI@home screen-saver installed on my PC. Who'd have thought that one day you'd be able to use your home computer to help scientists search for life on other planets?

My friend had a TRS-80 when we were in high school. We played Zork and D&D via e-mail. One night we spent like three hours coding in numbers and when we are done we had drawn a lions head, sort of, if you squinted just right. Good times!

Yes, we were geeks.:D

I used to have the SETI@home screen-saver installed on my PC. Who'd have thought that one day you'd be able to use your home computer to help scientists search for life on other planets?

... so you were one of the early pioneers of what they now seem to be calling "cloud computing" ;). Good for you!

Back
Top Bottom