Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I like watching TV and won't apologize for it. I think it is a great and cheap pastime.

I am a visual person. I get more pleasure from a single picture than I would from a thousand beautifully-written words attempting to describe that picture.
EXACTLY!

i watch a fair amount of tv, some days it's 5 hours other days just 1 hour. it really depends what is on. i typically tape most shows so i can ff thru the commercials i seldom will watch a show live.

personally i consider everything on abc, cbs and nbc to be a waste of time. i watch a lot of shows on history, discovery, a&e and nat geo. they have very interesting shows that i have learned and seen things that i never would have know about. i usually watch something that will educate me. the 2 food channels i get give me new ideas for cooking tho most of the shows are not all that interesting just some.

i like movies from the 30's and tonight on tcm they had the premier showing of "cavalcade". it was a british movie made in 1933 about a well to do family from 1899 to 1932 and it was great. modern movies are such trash all violence and special effects, there is no or a very poor plot. old movies did not rely on sex and graphic images to hold the attention of adhd watchers.

tv is like anything some is good and some is bad you have to pick what you like.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #42

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Personally I see nothing wrong with watching TV as much as you want. It's your life.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #43

Watched about 12 hours yesterday. Several hours of HGTV, recorded episodes of Larry the Cable Guy and The Biggest Loser, Chicago Bulls/Blackhawks games, watched news, Judge Judy, and Super Bowl commercials with DW. Didn't have enough time for movies. Normally I would only watch a few hours a day in the winter, but my projects are on hold until the cold weather breaks.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I also spend some time on the early retirement site, which is enjoyable but doesn't accomplish very much. you work all the years so that you can have the choice of what to do with the rest of the time you are alloted, it is your choice what to do with that time. sorry if my comments are redundant, as it is still below zero and I don't have much else to do.
Understood! Yesterday I was thinking "I have got to get out of the house today" so went to a local park to take some photos of the local frozen pond, just for something to do.

Dress up in thermals, heavy insulated boots, the thickest jacket I own, with hood and gloves. Take the camera and tripod and head out. Get there, take some pictures and I'm done in 20 minutes, my fingers are freezing and in danger of sticking to the camera. This is not fun!

Go home and spend the next two hours playing with the photos in Photoshop. Okay, that part is fun.

I love the name of the road the park is on. Who wouldn't want to live on Poorhouse Road?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poorhouse Farm Park dock Panorama B&W.jpg (306.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #45

The TV is on an average of 8 to 10 hours a day around here. News, stocks, business, ans such mostly in the daytime. We record most of what we watch in the evening.

Anyone can tell you too much of something is bad, only you can decide if it for you! The next thing you know government will want to tax TV watching over a certain period of time.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Thanks for all the interesting posts. Am sure I will continue to keep my 3 to 4 hours of TV/movies. In fact, one of my friends just asked me to go out for a movie. My eyesight is not that good and though I love reading, watching TV/movies is less tiring. Moderation is always the key and afterall I play golf and watch golf channels, I love to cook and watch the food channels, I travel and watch the travel channels, I fantasize and am imaginative and therefore watch Diva, The Good Wife, Criminal Minds, Eli Stone, The Big C, etc etc. Retirement allows me to do all these and more! Best part is I am enjoying my TV hours.
Is Eli Stone still on If so, I am missing it...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
The TV is on an average of 8 to 10 hours a day around here. News, stocks, business, ans such mostly in the daytime. We record most of what we watch in the evening.

Anyone can tell you too much of something is bad, only you can decide if it for you! The next thing you know government will want to tax TV watching over a certain period of time.

Heck, the British tax your TV set... watching or not watching...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Requires a bit more brain work that - understanding content in another language.

Audrey
You can say that again! In my case all my main reading is in English.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
You can say that again! In my case all my main reading is in English.
Honestly, Vicente, no one here would know English wasn't your first language if you hadn't told them otherwise. I wish my Spanish were half as good as your English!

Audrey

P.S. I'm trying to read "La Reina del Sur" at present. It's hard work!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Zelinski's (and many others) views on TV. Nothing wrong with watching some TV, we can't all be in top gear all day. But just like 'use it or lose it' applies to your physical body, everything I read suggests your mind needs some exercise to stay sharp too. Supposedly crossword puzzles, sudoku, etc. are even good to throw in the mix. I'd also agree that reading (anything) is a little more engaging than most TV also.

Watching TV is one of the most passive things you can do with your brain, so IMO it should be in somewhat limited quantities and balanced with more engaging and mentally challenging activities. Surfing the internet probably isn't the best use of a lot of one's time either, but at least it's interactive, TV rarely is.

The people that scare me are the ones who turn on the TV and watch for hours without caring what they watch. They just flip through the channels and watch whatever appeals to them even if it's a rerun they've seen many times or an infomercial. That can't be good for keeping the mind sharp...

But it's entirely up to you.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I was watching fewer hours of TV; back in November '10 realized I was only watching local news and only occasionally for standard rate of~$90/month.
Dropped the whole thing.
Only thing I miss is the digital time display in the living room.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You mean the one that blinks "12:00?"
Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Heck, the British tax your TV set... watching or not watching...
Yeah, but in return they get the BBC. Thousands of hours of great programming with no commercials. Commercial TV is a "tax" on pretty much every branded item you buy. (This is not an anti-capitalist rant.)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You mean the one that blinks "12:00?"
Not the VCR, the cable box.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
I was watching fewer hours of TV; back in November '10 realized I was only watching local news and only occasionally for standard rate of~$90/month.
Dropped the whole thing.
I agree, $90/month is a LOT to pay just for local news! Good move.

If you ever change your mind and miss the local news, check the price of bare bones basic cable (without the box). Here, it is around $15/month and you get about 60 channels, including all the local channels and more.

As for the digital time display, a digital clock is not too expensive if you still miss it. I have a nice one in my living room, with big blue digits.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If you ever change your mind and miss the local news, check the price of bare bones basic cable (without the box). Here, it is around $15/month and you get about 60 channels, including all the local channels and more.
You can get an indoor antenna (modern version of rabbit ears) for less than $25 bucks. Should be able to get all your local channels/news for free.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You can get an indoor antenna (modern version of rabbit ears) for less than $25 bucks. Should be able to get all your local channels/news for free.
True, but also need converter or new TV (21 y o)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True, but also need converter or new TV (21 y o)
A converter is cheap - and another one time expense.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A converter is cheap - and another one time expense.
Can't think of anything I want to see on TV that I can't access on internet.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

If my internet was better I'd chuck the satellite, but I have crappy rural "high speed". Lots of shows for free.

As it is I watch maybe 2-3 hours* a day at most. Nothing against it. It's not all soap operas and Donahue anymore. I love Discovery and it's ilk, news and sports. I often will watch stuff with the kids (Simpson's reruns, Robot Chicken, etc.). I think they would shrivel up and die without it. I was that way when I was a teenager too.

We have a movie room with projector and big screen. We watch movies on Fridays and Saturdays. We all love a good movie. Our Netflix membership (16 bucks a month) is heavily used.

*Sundays and Mondays during football season you will find me glued to the TV. If football is on, I'm watching!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote