Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Is Eli Stone still on If so, I am missing it...
Well, I don't know. I'm still catching up on back episodes since I didn't know such programmes existed 6 months ago when I was working. The series of Eli Stone I'm watching now is series 2 where he got back his aneurism even after the surgery.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You can get an indoor antenna (modern version of rabbit ears) for less than $25 bucks. Should be able to get all your local channels/news for free.

Not if you are like me and live 35+ miles from the antenna...

Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Well, I don't know. I'm still catching up on back episodes since I didn't know such programmes existed 6 months ago when I was working. The series of Eli Stone I'm watching now is series 2 where he got back his aneurism even after the surgery.

Just checked... season 2 was the last... enjoy...
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not if you are like me and live 35+ miles from the antenna...
Reception does depend on several factors like internal walls and the terrain between you and the transmitter. Google Earth shows me 42 miles from the "antenna farm" and with an internal antenna I can get four of the six local channels, but I am located on a hill.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reception does depend on several factors like internal walls and the terrain between you and the transmitter. Google Earth shows me 42 miles from the "antenna farm" and with an internal antenna I can get four of the six local channels, but I am located on a hill.
Does the antenna have to be at a window? I have a good shot at towers about 1.5 and also .75 miles away, but my building is brick. I do have a window that faces one set of towers. I am on top of hill.

Recently good DSL has become available so I am thinking of ditching cable too. I already use cell for phone. I have had a 3-way package.

Ha
Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Does the antenna have to be at a window? I have a good shot at towers about 1.5 and also .75 miles away, but my building is brick. I do have a window that faces one set of towers. I am on top of hill.
Brick? Window? Heck, that close to the towers you might not even need an antenna!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just checked...

Am about 32 miles from the farm... but it says I need a medium directional antenna... lots of big trees etc....

I have used rabbit ears upstairs and I can bring in a couple of the channels... but they can chop in and out... nothing downstairs...

AntennaWeb
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reception does depend on several factors like internal walls and the terrain between you and the transmitter. Google Earth shows me 42 miles from the "antenna farm" and with an internal antenna I can get four of the six local channels, but I am located on a hill, next to a rock quarry.
Fixed...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
There are certain show like The Good Wife that we don't want to miss. But since we got the DVR 3 years ago, we realize how few shows we really never miss. Record then erase! Not enough time to watch it all.

Of course time-shifting to eliminate commercials is valuable. Except for the Super Bowl. There we just skipped over the idle time in the game.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

There are no stations predicted to serve this location. Depending on the specifics of your installation, though, you may be able to receive some signals, but don't hold your breath.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What I would definitely feel was a waste was reading what some guy (like Zelinski) thinks I should be doing with my life.

Ha
:golfclap: And, I concur about the Third Reich documentaries. Excellent.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes - unlike surfing the net and posting messages on Intertube discussion boards, which is much more physically demanding....
I often find myself pondering the design requirements for hooking a small electrical generator up to a treadmill for powering the desktop computer's UPS.

However I don't think spouse would great the same research project for her TiVo/TV with such enthusiasm...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thoughts on TV:

DW likes to have the TV on during the day for background. Kind of like having people in the house so that you are not lonely. She does reading and other things with the TV on. A commercial comes on a dozen times in her presence but she does not "see it". She block it out completely. Moving wall paper.
I on the other hand, find it captivating while I am in front of it. It is mostly annoying, sometimes enjoyable. I cannot block it out.
"the medium is the message" McLuhan
TV has replaced books as the popular media for communicating. Perhaps in a couple of centuries, books will become obsolete.
Should "TV" with the phrase "visual media"?

Free to canoe