Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In all actuality, I am usually up around 7 to medicate one of our very old dogs. Some days I go back to bed, some days I get the coffee going and then do "whatever". Some days I will have specific plans (such as grocery store on Tuesday between 10a-2p) but usually I take it as it comes.

Since school is back in, I am taking classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so that does necessitate a schedule. Since I don't *have* to do this school thing, it makes it much easier to accept the schedule part of it. Not only that, I only have 55 more days of class meetings, so the end is very, very close.

I have noticed that many of us get our days started dealing with animals. Interesting how that happens, eh?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have noticed that many of us get our days started dealing with animals. Interesting how that happens, eh?

I noticed that too. [emoji2]

Ours is outside the bedroom door bouncing up and down and turning circles as soon as she hears me get out of bed.

Heaven forbid I do anything before feeding her. Even if I use the restroom first, she flops down on the ground and lets out a long "grumble". My wife says I've spoiled that dog (almost) as much as my grandchildren. [emoji1]
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, lots of early risers here! Once in a blue moon I'll get up before 7:30 but not very often, more likely 8:30 or 9:00.
In my case it's because I fall asleep (much) earlier than I should...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

Well, the truth is....our dog takes me for a walk every morning.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

0400 wake and empty bladder
0401-0430 read until fall back asleep
0815 get up, 50 push-ups, plank for as long as I can stand it, call it a w@rkout. promise myself I'll do more after breakfast
0830 feed/water animals/self while watching prior night's late night comedians' monologues to catch up on the news
0845-1000 surf web, w@rk-at-home type stuff, ignore promise from earlier
1000 2nd breakfast; more info consumption
1015 try to talk self into practicing piano
1030 start day's project (I try to pick one thing that needs doing each day, so I don't feel like a total slouch... not that there's anything wrong with that!) IF it's a "w@rk" day (~once a week), go to "office"
1200 lunch break
1500 snack break / leave w@rk
1600 whatever
1830 dinner break
1900 whatever
2300 get in bed, read
2330 hopefully asleep
ExitLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #26

Wake up far too early (6am or so) hard to break old habits
Enjoy coffee, catch up on a few forums/blogs
The rest of the day is doing whatever I want or just plain nothin'
I gave up routine and structure the day I fired and don't miss it.
Watch a few series before bed. Wake up DW and explain what she missed....
Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #27

I'm not as structured as many of you. Much of this depends on the time of year for me but since we're talking about right now:

Morning: Both of us try to sleep in but she can't so we don't.
Coffee, paper, blogs, etc.
Morning watering
Gym or walking
Generally projects to do or golf
Grocery store
Cocktail hour
Dinner
Mindless television later

Lately more hectic as DW's mother had a stroke and broke a hip so our world has changed significantly.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #28

After all my years of working downtown, I still wake up around 5:30. But I lay in bed, I still love to do that after 4+ years. I get up, have coffee and read for about an hour. I try to do some type of workout every morning. Walk, yoga, bike ride, strength.

My husband and I usually eat lunch and dinner together, unless I meet a GF. There is housework that we both do and I have a small at home PT job. I may go visit my folks or we might go to the park. After dinner we may watch TV (I surf the web).

We do have a routine, but it is flexible and not too structured. I love it!!

Like others mentioned, we do go to bed early. I am so tired at night!! I think it is from moving around all day long, instead of sitting in an office like I did for so many years.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #29

My daily routine resembles that of our closest primate relative, the chimpanzee, in that I only spend about three hours a day involved in activities that can be linked (however tenuously) to food gathering. However, unlike the chimp, I don't spend huge amounts of my non-working time stroking and being stroked, grooming and being groomed. This originates from my extreme introversion and isn't 'normal'. Normal humans, as social animals, spend huge amounts of time stroking and grooming other humans, and enjoy receiving similar attention in return.

From what I remember of my days as a corporate animal, it seems like I really only spent about three hours each day on average actually working. The rest was stroking and being stroked, grooming and being groomed. We think that the last common ancestor between humans and chimps was 7 million years ago; it's remarkable that we humans have retained chimp-like social behavior to such a degree.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #30

Get up between 5 and 6:30
Exercise by doing what needs to be done and what I need to do
Do what is fun
Review what's left to be done
Do what you want.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #31

Get up when I wake up (between 6:45 and 8, maybe)
Feed cats
Make coffee
Random....including some exercise
Also video games
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Interesting how all the internal clocks keep on ticking. I could not stop chuckling to myself as I read the pretty standard schedules left over from the workforce. We found it far to easy to "drift" into night people life, we have become vampires, or whatever one might choose to call it, but basic premise being, start with OP timeline only change the implied AM to PM and that is pretty much us.

If we need to be somewhere (store, Dr appt. etc) before it closes, a every couple month occurrence, we set the alarm for 3pm or whatever and get up "early". Most Concerts are already at night, Movies play at night, Grocery Stores are open pretty late, our Irish Wolfhounds don't care, they've adapted to us, i.e. they wake us up, whenever the hell they want to go out, night or day, lol.

Works for us, I guess we are in the minority?
Old 08-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #33

Have to laugh at all the "get up early at (5:30, 6, 7:30, etc.)" posts. You call that early?

Me, usually up between 2:30 and 4. Insomnia I guess. Make coffee, read online, check in on ER.org, take the poochie for a short walk. (We are most likely responsible for the low night time crime rate in my area.....)

First nap of the day between 5:30-6:30. Then work at PT hobby job until lunch time. Then do whatever until 3-4 pm nap (short one). Then read/watch Netflix with DW until bedtime (8-9).
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm retired. I don't have a "daily grind".

+1
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #35

Depends on the day, whether DD2 is in school or not and whether I have course work or teaching at university.

Usually up by either 6:30 or 7 am. Breakfast then put DD2 on the school bus and then go to gym/run/hike or university. Once a week (usually Monday or Friday) I call a rest day and sleep in to about 7:30.

Spend the morning dealing with the "to do" list and the rest of the day is usually free time.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #36

Wake when the sun comes up enough to wake us
Drink a bottle of water with some Mio Energy
Read emails and news
Around 7-7:30 take dogs out then fed them
Then we go run 3-4 miles
Then walk the dogs 2 miles
Then have a protein shake
That brings us to about 8:30-9am
After that we'll sometimes get in the pool for a bit, or shower.
Around 10:30-11 have a little snack
If we are goin anywhere that day, it is usually around snack time.
Between snack time and dinner time, we ar either out doing what needs to get done, or piddling on projects around the house. One more snack around 2-2:30
Dinner at 5pm, watching re-runs of Seinfeld.
Internet for me, couch crafts for DW, plus some re-run on hulu or Netflix until 10:15, then off to bed.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
+1

+1
I am enjoying taking each day as it comes.

Get up generally between 7-9 am, go to bed between 11 pm-1 am. Variety of activities including walking, water aerobics, gym, biking, hiking, stand-up paddle boarding, reading, surfing the net, napping, volunteering at local university and local hospital, cooking, grocery shopping, getting together with friends, playing with and walking our dog, and eating out with DH or friends. We have also traveled quite a bit since ER and have entertained visitors from out of town.

We don't watch TV and don't sit on the couch all that often. After dinner sometimes we play a game or two.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

If not for having 4 dogs ( 3 old and one a puppy) we would be staying up later and sleeping later. When we had 1 or 2 dogs they let us sleep as long as we want. Not so anymore. When the 3 old ones pass we will be down to 1 that hopefully will let us sleep. I notice if I spend the night at my friend's house and only take 1 old dog they let me sleep as late as I want.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM View Post
Interesting how all the internal clocks keep on ticking. I could not stop chuckling to myself as I read the pretty standard schedules left over from the workforce. We found it far to easy to "drift" into night people life, we have become vampires, or whatever one might choose to call it, but basic premise being, start with OP timeline only change the implied AM to PM and that is pretty much us.

If we need to be somewhere (store, Dr appt. etc) before it closes, a every couple month occurrence, we set the alarm for 3pm or whatever and get up "early". Most Concerts are already at night, Movies play at night, Grocery Stores are open pretty late, our Irish Wolfhounds don't care, they've adapted to us, i.e. they wake us up, whenever the hell they want to go out, night or day, lol.

Works for us, I guess we are in the minority?
So in the winter you have almost no daylight in your life? I think that is pretty unusual.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

If not for my pet medication/treatment schedules, i would have no set routine When I get up varies considerably based on their needs (how long i was up with one or more of them, when any with issues got stabilized, etc). otherwise day is filled with Church activities, internet, some TV, house work and maintenance, conversations with family neighbors, friends
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote