What's your daily schedule?

My schedule drives my wife, who still works, crazy because I really don't have one. I wake up when I wake up, unless I have an early appointment to go to. Drink coffee or not and then spend time on the computer viewing various forums and such. I have a project or two I want to work on, but if they don't get finished there's always tomorrow or the next day. I usually cook dinner and clean the dishes at some point during the day.

About 7 months after retiring, I did lose track of what day of the week it was. Now it's occasionally being uncertain if it's the second/third week or third/fourth week of the month. For the most part, it doesn't really matter. I never forget the first week of the month because that's when I set up any online payments for the month.

I pace around while I grind my coffee beans in a Hario hand grinder. Then I make my coffee with an Aeropress, then I sit down with it and read the newsprint WSJ. Then I will do a little stock research. Around 10:30 I row maybe an hour or 80 minutes or so, then shower.

After shower is lunch (breakfast). The afternoons are whatever, walk, shop food, meet people, mess around downtown, see my girlfriend if she is off work. Then come home and make dinner, and eat at 6-6:30 or so. Evenings I may watch a free movie on Amazon Prime, or read.

Ha

Up by 6, drink coffee and internet/financials til about 7-730. Read online news with DW for an hour or so and more coffee. Out to the barn by 9AM to feed and water the alpacas. No real plan during the day until about 5:30 or so when we feed and water the alpacas. Usually work on projects or other activities depending on the weather and season- evenings we usually read or watch movies or recorded TV shows- other than sports, can't remember watching tv live. Meal times vary by an hour or so most days but like to eat lunch around 1 and dinner about 630.

Like others, not unusual to have to think to know what day of the week it is and I have few scheduled activities other than some volunteer work at a local artist co-op we're trying to establish.

Up at 5-6 am. take DS3 to school, back home by 8-830. then do dishes, some house cleaning, laundry, etc. do other stuff such as take DW to doctor, read news on computer, read books, do Cub Scout or Boy Scout admin stuff, pick up DS3 from school, take DS3 to scouts or swim practice, cook supper, clean dishes, watch a couple of DVR-d shows, sleep at 9-930.

or various permutations of the above that include various scout meetings

Like others, I don't have a schedule per say, but a comfy familiar 'routine'.

Quiet morning coffee as the morning starts - maybe a muffin with fruit while surfing the forums and checking up on email and the news (no TV though - I don't like getting 'sucked' into the inanity of daytime tv).

Maybe some chores around the house to tidy/clean things up.

Then I will decide on where I'll go for my daily hike/adventure - usually with the aid of google/maps I'll go someplace in the area I've never been to.

After a good walk, back home for an early afternoon snack, then relax with a book, music, maybe something cool to drink. Usually idle piddling about the house or garden before starting on the evening meal before DW comes home from w*rk and DS back from school.

Then quiet evenings to watch a favorite show or two before retiring to bed.

Sprinkle in the occasional free concert, audio club get together, or community event and I'm really enjoying the FIRE life!

I just recently changed my routine to get up between 6:00-7:00 most days instead of my previous 4+ years of 8:00-8:30. I did this a few weeks ago in preparation for leading a women's retreat which I knew would require early rising, and I found that I enjoyed getting my day started earlier. I still do pretty much everything the same except I go to bed now by 10:30-11:00 instead of 11:30-12:00.

Volunteer commitments put a fair number of scheduled activities into my weeks, and I try to drive DH to the adaptive gym two afternoons a week (that's a 3-4 hour commitment, depending on traffic). My goal for this fall is to do more home projects and reading - I was very busy this summer and didn't read much except the local newspaper and WSJ, and we've been in this house 5+ years so some cruft removal is in order (empty, clean and reload pantry and kitchen drawers, empty and completely clean refrigerator and freezer, empty and clean bathroom cabinets and drawers, etc.).

The only thing really SCHEDULED is my gym time from 10:00am to noon - I choose this time because the place is wonderfully empty - except for a spectacular female fitness model/bodybuilder whose preferred workout time matches mine. It's, uh, motivating.

The reality of it is, the day is completely my own. As a fairly young retiree, I find the absence of kids is what really enables my daily freedom. When I'm in the city, I tend to focus more on fitness, my investments, improving my cooking, hitting up the library and maybe a bit of video game time (trying to work through the Assassin Creed games right now).

When I'm on "my island" I truly transform into my "Sea Kayaker" moniker...once I depart from the beach my average paddle length is around 15km - sometimes longer, sometimes shorter - but each time I encounter something memorable. Lots of hiking and some good runs on the twisty, forested, roads too. Everything is wonderfully free flowing - there is no set structure. I do whatever feels RIGHT at the time.

In Baja - it's all about good food, basking in the heat poolside/beachside. Sometimes DW and I will hop in the Jeep and explore the deserted beaches up the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula. Certainly no "schedule" per se. Schedules are not allowed in the Baja anyway. :)

So, the closest thing I have to a scheduled thing is my gym sessions when I'm in Vancouver. But thankfully, that's it.

No set schedule for me, had enough of that!

Wake up usually sometime between 7 and 9, cruise the net for a while, shower, get breakfast and that's something light because I'm generally not hungry early in the day. If it's a gym day I'll get there between 10:00 and 2:00 because that's the "emptiest" time.

Read a book, take a nap, run errands if any, find something on Youtube or Amazon Prime to watch, like this old TV series I'm going through now about WWII bomber command issues.

I guess they didn't broadcast it in our area or surly I'd have watched and remembered it. I remember the movie but didn't know there was a TV series based on it.

I pace around while I grind my coffee beans in a Hario hand grinder. Then I make my coffee with an Aeropress, then I sit down with it and read the newsprint WSJ. Then I will do a little stock research. Around 10:30 I row maybe an hour or 80 minutes or so, then shower.

After shower is lunch (breakfast). The afternoons are whatever, walk, shop food, meet people, mess around downtown, see my girlfriend if she is off work. Then come home and make dinner, and eat at 6-6:30 or so. Evenings I may watch a free movie on Amazon Prime, or read.

Ha

You need to state clearly if you get paid for posts with product placements.

Mine has not routine except for drinking coffee in the morning and feeding the kitties at 2pm. Other than that I am all over the map.

Some days I work on my ebay store, other days I have doctors appointments or therapy appointments. Sometimes it's girls day out. Most days I do take an afternoon siesta for around 2 hours which messes with my sleep cycle at night so then I tend to be a night owl until 2 or 3 am. In the summer I swim in the pool most days to get my exercise in.

And now that I have discovered this forum I see I will be spending some of my day here. :D

Schedule? Blasphemy!

The one thing that has tight time constraint is Public Skating. 10 to 12 noon. I arrive for figure skating sometime in that range, unfortunately I must be off the ice by 12. Or switch to hockey skates... No, forget it!
At the Y my favorite workout area is available from 8:30 AM to noon during school year and 7AM to noon in the summer. . I get my hour or two in within that range.

The lake is open for kayaking 24/7.

I get up every morning, unless it was an exceptionally good night. Then I get up in the afternoon.

Love this.

No schedule, except for two days a week I work. (I know, more blasphemy). It certainly helps me appreciate the other 5 days! It is better to work two days than to have two days off. Plus, i have a RULE for those two days. I work, we go out to eat/drink. Hey, I earned it. :dance:

My perfect days involve doing not much of anything. Wake up between 7-9, drink coffee and waste time on Internet, perhaps learning something. Get an hour in at the gym. Mornings are nice, but afternoons are way less crowded.

Clean out a drawer and think of myself as a domestic diva.

Read. Cook a little. Plan the next trip. It is a two week road trip to San Francisco in 9 days. : )

Basically putter around most of the day.

But, sometimes appointments mess with my day. And, that is not totally bad. At least it is no longer tacking an appointment onto a work day. Yuck, those days were stressful,

Once a week, DH and I go to Panera for a high carb breakfast....a guilty pleasure. Multigrain bagel, twice toasted. I always take my book and read it between people-watching.

There are other things, but those are the important ones.

Like others, I don't have a schedule per say, but a comfy familiar 'routine'.

I like that. For now, I'm comfortable with having some kind of routine in my life. Still get up at the same time, go to bed around the same time, and do certain chores on same days/"schedule" as when I was working. Just makes things smoother for me.

Gym 3x a week is nonnegotiable, as is my morning mocha while studying at my favorite deserted coffeehouse, with coffee again in the afternoon at another virtually deserted favorite place reading a book.

OTOH, I just got up from a two hour unscheduled midday nap and feel absolutely fantastic. :)

I don't keep a schedule or routine but there are some activities I do everyday when I am not traveling. These include reading newspapers over breakfast and various forms of exercise - could be gym or hiking or golf or yoga or swimming. Other activities for the day just flow in depending on my interest, appointments and errands. Watching TV is usually reserved in the evening when time permits. The day just pass by so quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I definitely had a set schedule when I had a j*b, but now, I am still trying to find my footing. I try to go to bed at a reasonable time so I have some morning time, but without any commitment in the morning, I sometimes stay up too late. I think I would be more productive if I stuck to some kind of schedule, but for now (it's only been a few months since I FIRE'd), this is OK.

I had no schedule the first 6 months and realized I was becoming a couch potatoe and never leaving the house.. so went back to a "general" schedule of getting up at 7, making breakfast for my honey who still has a job, watching pre-market earnings through opening bell while house cleaning, checking out facebook/gametime/news/this site until 10, then gym time, shower, lunch, afternoon I try to volunteer or learn something for at least 4 hours in the afternoon (ie. my attempt at being productive), then home, start supper/tidy up for 6 when honey gets home, eat, relax/meetup/socialize til 9, take evening walk, bed.

Back
Top Bottom