What's your daily schedule?

Birchwood

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wondering. I'm one year out of the rat race.
AM- Gym at 8, run 3 miles at Elliptical and walk another 1 mile. Will go to Yoga classes 2-3x a week. Go home take a shower, then attend to some paper work or computer monitor of the market outlook. Do some minor house chores.
PM- After a few minutes of nap, will go to the public library, read(scan) the WSJ, USA money, NYtimes, or other references such as S&P, Value line Investment survey. If nothing is happening, will go to any magazine or newspaper. Sometimes will turn on CNBC, then NPR etc.
Evening-Watch a little TV news, or back to the computer, working on photography shots at photoshop, on facebook, flicker, etc. Listen to some smooth jazz or classical music.
Bedtime at 10
Somedays I go on roadtrips, travel, or special projects, otherwise this is a 5-6 day schedule.

I'm one year out of the rat race.

So why have a schedule?

I don't think I've had two consecutive days exactly the same in the 14 years since ER.

If you enjoy regulating your life like that, more power to you!

But it's certainly not for me.

The closest I come to a schedule is trying to decide what I'm going to do that day while having my morning coffee.

My only schedule is wake up, get out of bed, make coffee, drink coffee and read news.

Everything else is unscheduled. :)

I like having a scheduled routine, and now that I am retired I am the one who gets to determine what happens when.

I like to eat at about the same time, shower at about the same time, go to bed and arise at about the same time, and go to the gym on specific days of the week (MWF for us). I like to back up my computer every Saturday, take my trash out the afternoon before it is picked up, go to a specific Weight Watchers meeting at a particular time, and so on.

I don't HAVE to. I could let the trash pile up in my kitchen until it reaches the ceiling, and then let it sit at the curb until it is picked up a week later. I could just not shower until I noticed people backing off from me, I could eat whenever I wanted to (and gain a hundred pounds), and so on.

For me life is just so much more pleasant with a routine.

Just wondering. I'm one year out of the rat race.
AM- Gym at 8, run 3 miles at Elliptical and walk another 1 mile. Will go to Yoga classes 2-3x a week. Go home take a shower, then attend to some paper work or computer monitor of the market outlook. Do some minor house chores.
PM- After a few minutes of nap, will go to the public library, read(scan) the WSJ, USA money, NYtimes, or other references such as S&P, Value line Investment survey. If nothing is happening, will go to any magazine or newspaper. Sometimes will turn on CNBC, then NPR etc.
Evening-Watch a little TV news, or back to the computer, working on photography shots at photoshop, on facebook, flicker, etc. Listen to some smooth jazz or classical music.
Bedtime at 10
Somedays I go on roadtrips, travel, or special projects, otherwise this is a 5-6 day schedule.

You must get hungry.

Get up at 5-6, play on the computer until 7-8 or go out for a sunrise photo shoot
Eat breakfast, water the plants, go for a bike ride, hike or kayak in the am
Yard work, woodworking, or boating in the afternoon
Dinner, followed by watching TV lying on the couch while surfing on the iPad until I fall asleep.

Summer schedule above- winter the same except no plants, yard work or boating.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Get up, go to work, come home, eat, go to bed. A few mandatory items in between those highlights, but that is 90% of the day.

Not for long though!

No schedule here. Wake up when I want, come and go as I please. ("Unless" the DW wants to go somewhere special or has a project for me, :facepalm:)

I thought retirement came with no schedule, mine changes all the time. I have no problem being on time for appointments, but it feels strange nowadays as most of my activities are loosely scheduled. I have a mental to-do list everyday, but I don't assign times to anything, just make sure I work it all in that day (usually).

I work out by noon usually, but varies with outside temps among other things - work out early on hot days, later on cold days. Same with yard work, time of day all depends on weather during each day. Usually have lunch at home, but maybe once or twice a week when I am going to be out running errands anyway. Have dinner with DW as much as possible, mostly at home Mon-Fri, out for dinner every Sat-Sun.

I do laundry on Sun morning while DW sleeps in, aside from meals that's about the only thing I do at the same day and time each week... :D

Wake up, drink coffee and cruise the net for about an hour or so, take a walk with DW, eat breakfast, go hit golf balls for an hour or more, come home, take a nap, wake up, take off on my motorcycle for a few hours, come home eat supper, watch the news, take another walk and chit chat with neighbors, watch some boob tube or cruise the net, shower, go to bed. Rinse and repeat. The variation to this theme is when I actually go play 18 holes or more of golf or take a day ride on the scooter. Weekends are built around grandkids sports activities.

My routine varies with the season. In spring, it's get the vegetable garden started, get out fishing and kayaking as much as I can. In summer, it's yard work, more fishing and kayaking, camping, harvest garden veggies, hang out with the grandkids, house and cottage maintenance projects. In late summer/fall, it's harvest more garden veggies (and process some for storage), harvest fruit for wine-making, harvest hops for beer brewing, get ready for deer hunting. In fall, it is deer hunting, rake leaves, pick mushrooms. In early winter, it is get packed and ready to head to the Gulf Coast for a few months. Down there, it is more fishing (from my kayak), hiking, cooking and eating some great seafood. The only consistent thing all year long is walking/jogging with my dog twice daily, and doing a few short exercise sets daily (chin-ups, squats, mainly).

Of course I have omitted all the little things that come up during the year, but these activities are the ones I do every year.

6am alarm, get coffee, get boys off to school, walk dog, crossing guard at school.
From 9:30-3:00---whatever I feel like doing! Today was a 30 mile bike ride, tomorrow the lawn.
At 3:00 back to school crossing, chat with boys after school, walk dog in evening.

And with two school age boys at home......always involved in their activities such as Scouting or soccer.

I still have school age kids at home... so during the school year I have to maintain a bit of a schedule just to get them up and out. During the summer, much less schedule. Common thread is I try to start the day with a walk on the beach with the dog.

I have a lot more "flex" to my schedule now that I'm retired... which is very nice.

Schedule I don't need no stinking schedule! Had other people's schedule my entire w*rking life, I'll pass.

I purposely added a little routine to my week. Three days a week I go to Daily Mass followed by an exercise class. Soon I will be adding Bible study one morning a week. By 11AM the day is mine.

As soon as i can narrow down which volunteer activity i want to do most I will be adding that, which will probably be 6 your a week.

The best part of all this is that this is a routine that I created rather than having one forced upon me. :D

The only things I do routinely every day are: (1) drink coffee and surf the net for an hour in the morning, and (2) have dinner ready about the time DW gets home from work. Beyond that, it's completely unscripted and no two days are the same. But, usually involves some combination of: running errands, maintenance tasks around the house, woodworking projects, playing guitar, riding my bike, listening to music or watching TV, and additional web browsing.

I, like most have said, have no schedule. I do have a routine, and it too is like most. Outside of a morning routine of breakfast, and the newspaper followed by a walk with wife and dog, no set routine for the rest of the day. Only other schedule would be a macro schedule. Twice a year dentist, once a year doctor, once a month for DW hair salon, once a week dominoes. once a week card game with friends.

Up at 6:30, coffee, shower and get ready for w*rk :-(

Been w*rking from my home office 3/4 days a week for the last 3 months and dreaming of ER! Getting myself ready to put in my papers, in 2016!

Here's mine:

early-retirement-daily-schedule.png

It's great fun to read what everyone is doing!

I still get up early-ish, 5:30, and either have an ice hockey scrimmage (women get crummy ice times lol) or I go to the gym. Get home and take the dachshunds hunting for about one hour.

Errands, maybe lunch with friends, shop, nap, read, think weird thoughts lol, work on a project, decide if I want dinner.

So unproductive.....

Wild Irish Rogue

Wake at 7 - 7:30,
Shower,
Coffee,
Walk dog (unless DW handles that),
Burger King at 8:30 for the ROMEO get together,
10:00 am - whenever - open time.

Somewhere in there are honey-do projects, eating, trips to Home Depot, gas stations, walk dog again, etc.

Looks like I only have a 3 hour time commitment per day, unless I skip most of it.:blush:

I get up every morning, unless it was an exceptionally good night. Then I get up in the afternoon.

Since I retired, I don't really have a schedule. In mornings I like to read the paper. I also like to shop in the mornings if I need to shop for anything (fewer people / less traffic). During the afternoons I like to do projects around the house. In the evenings I like to spend with my wife, read, watch movies. 4-5 times a week I like to get some vigorous exercise (sports or the gym). Typically feels good to rest up the other days.

But every day is different so can't really say there's a schedule to my life now.

Back
Top Bottom