Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvflyertoo View Post
We love Cruzan rum! Did you take the Cruzan tour? DH's drink is Cruzan (dark) and diet lime Coke. Or "dark and diet" as they say on St. Croix. Me - Bacardi (silver)and vanilla Coke.
Didn't, but took the Bacardi tour. It was pretty weak. Best distillery tour I've been on was in Jalisco just outside of Tequila. Now that was a tour to remember. I think.

I have some Havana Club 7 Anos from Cuba that is very smooth. No mix for this one, just a couple of fingers in a mini brandy snifter. Ay carumba!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #82
Dryer sheet wannabe

Kessler and any non-cola. Diet since I'm watching my figure. Most nights though I'll just grab a high life or lite.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Didn't, but took the Bacardi tour. It was pretty weak. Best distillery tour I've been on was in Jalisco just outside of Tequila. Now that was a tour to remember. I think.

I have some Havana Club 7 Anos from Cuba that is very smooth. No mix for this one, just a couple of fingers in a mini brandy snifter. Ay carumba!
When in Barbados on a cruise I visited the Foursquare rum distillery and heritage park. Some of the buildings date back to the 17th century and were involved in the history of slavery. They have been sensitively restored. We had a guided tour and the history was fascinating.

I have also visited Tequila and had a guided tour of the agave fields and one of the distilleries. I honestly forget which one it was, but there are scores of them. Anyhow, it was very interesting and a major industry in the State of Jalisco. Agave harvesting requires manual labour and the agave " pineapples" are big! There are so many distilleries in Tequila that if you put a match to one of them, the town would literally blow up.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Way too much Diet Pepsi. If I want to be really adventurous - Diet Root Beer. If calories were not an issue I would love a root beer milkshake!

No alcohol and I never developed a taste for coffee. I am pretty lame at happy hour....
Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

What's your favorite drink?

Shirley Temple (for dining out)
Hot Cocoa with Extra Whip
Fresh Squeezed Tangerine Juice

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-22-2015, 02:56 AM   #86
Confused about dryer sheets

Sour sop juice
Old 01-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll chime in again since I really can't limit myself to only one favorite libation.

The Last Word is truly a complex, interesting cocktail.

Hard to beat the king of cocktails, the Martini. I like a fair amount of vermouth, as that's a big part of the drink. I use at least about 25-30%. Add a dash of orange bitters, , express a lemon peel over the top, and add one or two almond-stuffed olives. Gin of course (currently I like Junipero, but Plymouth, Tanq 10, and Bombay Sapphire are all quite nice). A Martini always has gin. Otherwise, it's a "vodka martini." But I feel cocktail aficionados are losing the war on that point. I've given up on ordering martinis at bars since most kids working there might as well be flipping burgers for all they know about mixing drinks.

Try stirring a drink with all clear ingredients if you routinely shake them. Shaking a Martini just makes for a very ugly drink in the glass, IMHO.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Another home brewer here! I never thought I'd have too much beer, but thats been the case for me for years. My own concoctions are fine, but 5 gallons of it? So I give it away, and in trade, I get, wait for it, more beer!

Are you a member of a brewing club? That's a great way to sample many styles.

Not a member of a club but have several friends I trade with. Mostly the beer is happily accepted by family and friends who give me back the cases and bottles and a few dollars that almost covers the costs of the supplies. Always experimenting. Without my "consumers" my house would look like beer warehouse.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
Without my "consumers" my house would look like beer warehouse.
And the problem with that is....?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Ch3ch2oh

Edit to ask: I typed all caps, what gives?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And the problem with that is....?
Then I would have no exuse to brew more batches of beer.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Pyramid's Imperial Outburst - 8.1% of Takin Care of Business!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A really heavy, complex, high alcohol beer or ale, but it has to be ON TAP at a bar with clean lines.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Nash, I had my first(and only) Singapore Sling in Raffles Hotel in Singapore 40 years ago while on a trip with my father.
Me too except it was >40 years ago during a USN port visit to Singapore. USS Horne (DLG-30).
Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Went on a great tour of the Bushmills distillery in Northern Ireland years ago. I asked a lot of questions. At the end of the tour we got to go to their tasting room for a sample of any one of the four different varieties of whisky they made. Apparently they always select one person on the tour and offer him/her the chance to have a wee dram of each of the four. Probably because I showed so much interest by asking questions during the tour I was the lucky person for that tour. But it was early in the day and I was driving in a foreign country (on the left side of the road) so I declined and only took the single sample. Broke my heart.