Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty much of a redneck and up until my 24 birthday I had more Tequila in my system than blood. Much older now and not much for alcohol since. A few months ago I tried a cranberry Mikes hard lemon aide. Dang that stuff is good!
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every time my DW has her sisters over I make a large pitcher of red berry Sangria. It has a pretty good kick to it and tastes wonderful!

Sangria Recipe

1 cup peach brandy
1/2 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
2/3 cup orange juice
1 (1500 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
1 cup triple sec
2 lemons, sliced into rounds
2 oranges, sliced into rounds
2 limes, sliced into rounds
1/2 cup white sugar/splenda (optional)
16 maraschino cherries
Variety of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.

DIRECTIONS

In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1 part George Dickle, 2 parts Diet SunDrop, and fill with ice. It's a sipping drink.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #24
gone traveling

Mostly a water drinker, but DW and I are trying to convince ourselves that a glass of red wine at dinner every day will improve our memory. Last night we tried Block 012, a California full bodied blend, it was outstanding.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #25

I am a Diet Coke-aholic, so that is my common drink. Actually been trying to cut back a bit and just water instead. Beer preferred alcohol drink, microbrews especially. Red wine only never white. Only real liquor I ever drink is tequila, as mixed into margaritas.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I got burned out on wine and beer over the years and somehow just lost a taste for them. I used to love a real cold beer on a hot day. I never had a liking for "hard" stuff.

Now I don't care for any alcoholic drinks and just sip on a Coke Zero late in the day while coffee is my before noon favorite (black only).
Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Most recently we've been experimenting with drinks to choose one as a signature drink for an upcoming wedding, so we're stocked with much more alcohol than we usually are. The bride ended up selecting a Bellini, a mixture of champagne, peach schnapps and grenadine. I'm glad it's a simple one!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I've been on a minimize carb regimen for the past year. So I pick my beverages carefully.

Primarily beer...Coors Lite in bottles. 105 calories, 5g carbs per 12 oz.
Red wine once in a while.

For my daily beverage, I make iced tea using 32 oz boiling water, 3 large teabags of fruit herbal teas and 2 packets of stevia powder. I add another quart of water once the stronger mix cools down.

I rarely drink soda, but when I do I prefer regular root beer or ginger ale.
I dislike the taste of diet soda.

Hard liquor has never been attractive to me. The taste is too strong.
I will drink vodka with lots of ice, seltzer or water, and a spoonful of frozen fruit juice. I will make this in a blender once in a while if the mood hits me.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #29

Currently there are 90 (depending on who you ask) categories of beer, and many of them have a number of sub-categories. Plus, off the top of my head I can think of several dozen world-class beers that don't fit into any of those categories (which is why the category list keeps growing).

Since I was about five years old, beer has been my favorite beverage, and it still is.

For other alcoholic treats, I like many German wines, many ciders (English or French mainly), and some meads.

The wonderful world of liquors has never appealed to me. I have no idea why.

On a normal day however, I'm most likely to be consuming coffee or water with a bit of salt in it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #30

Guess.... ;o)

Actually, a friend introduced me to really fine rums about 2 years ago as well and I've really been enjoying them. Rule of thumb so far is that mainland rums tend to be better than island ones and anything aged with a used barrel (ex. sherry for example) is nasty.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #31

strong coffee with milk or cream.
water

Or if alcoholic (the drink, not me, lol)
red wine
grapefruit vodka martini (mixed stronger than a greyhound and served in a martini glass).
prosecco.

That's my order of preference. I drink water more than anything else. Gave up sodas years ago.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Bud Lite in a can, served warm.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

B&B (Benedictine & Brandy, packaged together in the bottle) is my favorite winter sipping drink. In about 30 seconds it goes from your lips to your toes and warms everything in between.

Bourbon & ginger ale for more basic drinking. Eagle Rare is about as high as I go for that, I feel bad mixing anything pricier.

For beer I really like Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. More than one, and I'll switch to something like Sam Adams Winter Lager or a couple of the local microbrews.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

For out of the norm stuff, my favorite is a vanilla rum liqueur made only in St Maarten by the Guavaberry Emporium. Drink it straight up. Good stuff! We generally by 4-6 bottles every time we go.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #35

Normally I drink my coffee black. But I do like it with a lot of sugar (or sweeter) and cream.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
For out of the norm stuff, my favorite is a vanilla rum liqueur made only in St Maarten by the Guavaberry Emporium. Drink it straight up. Good stuff! We generally by 4-6 bottles every time we go.
We'll be there for a day in February on the Independence of the Seas. I'll have to try it, though I don't think they'll let me bring some back on to the ship.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #37

Carbonated water is my favorite. I have a Sodastream machine and make my own charged water. For alcoholic beverages either Patron coffee flavored tequila or Lucid absinthe
Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
strong coffee with milk or cream.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of strong coffee by adding milk or cream?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We'll be there for a day in February on the Independence of the Seas. I'll have to try it, though I don't think they'll let me bring some back on to the ship.
You can, but you have to "check it in" which means they take the bottles away from you and then return them to you the last night on the ship.

Note - they have a small store in that area when you first get off the ship. We don't usually stop there, so not sure if you can taste test there or not. If you go into town where the main store is, you can taste test to your hearts content. They have a wide variety of other liqueurs and rum....but the vanilla is by far my (and my son's) favorite. And if you get anything, they will box it up and actually deliver it to the ship for you....
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #40

Tap water is what I drink most of.

Half a bottle of Coke in the morning.

Hot tea with a teaspoon of honey in wintertime to take off a chill.

Once in a great long while coffee.

But if money and sobriety are no object, Long Island Iced Tea. Unfortunately I have a tendency to drink those as if they were regular iced tea. Along about the third one I realize the error of my ways....