Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Having time to do things well.

Maintaining our house was a bother when I was working, hard to find the time so the quality of work suffered at times. Now our house looks better than ever, inside and out, and I didn't pay anyone - did the work myself.

Also only cooked things that could be done very quickly, after work. Now if I want something that takes a little more time, I do it. We're eating much better, and spending less.

I have been reading more too, really enjoy that.

Time...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Being able to plan a weekend trip or vacation without the constant threat that w*rk issues will cause a delay or cancellation....and lost deposits, cancellation fees, family grief.........

Not dreading phone calls at night or weekends that could be potentially the boss with some inane short fuse assignment or demands for me to head for the airport, ASAP.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I almost feel more relaxed reading all these postings... almost. Virtually every one of these is something I look forward too. Although I'm lucky to not have to fight traffic as the office is right in the suburb where I live. And my dog wakes me up about 5:30 every morning right now, but I guess that's good timing since I need to get up early anyway. I suppose by the time I retire, Leo won't be around to wake me up early anymore. Good and bad.

I just realized I used a 4 letter word in the title of this thread- sorry about my potty mouth. Still pretty new to the forum. If there is anyone out there that can edit the heading, feel free to clean up my filth.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
Do you have a favorite thing about not having to work?!
Freedom from nasty people. The inevitable, unavoidable, Gollum-like nasty people.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Freedom from nasty people. The inevitable, unavoidable, Gollum-like nasty people.
I take it you didn't get along with all your co-workers...
Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #26

I got along with almost everybody. But it takes only one bad egg to make your life miserable, if he's in the right position. Even worse, he seemed to keep following me around from job to job.

Finally I decided that there's something about corporate America that attracts, or even manufactures, @ssholes. It's a shame, because I never minded the work.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do you have a favorite thing about not having to work?
More control over my life...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

More time to spend with DW! More time with the kids. Time to do all the projects I want to do as the list just keeps on going. The ability to go to stores, the bank, and restaurants when they are not crowded. No BOSS. Time for long vacations one or two months at a time. Time to fish when the fishing is good. Time to help others when needed.

Notice the common item from above, I finally have control over my time!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Not having to get up early in the morning.
+1000. It feels so unnatural to get up before the sunrise (plus it's much colder out until the sun comes out) and to go to bed before I'm tired.

Sadly I still have a long ways to go before I can enjoy this
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #30

Getting up early is near the top of my list.

But the top reason is the damned commute on the trains. As I have mentioned many times in other threads, the long and sickening commute was my top reason for ERing. To give it further context, I was recently invited to attend an informal retirement luncheon for a former coworker at a friend's apartment (he lives near my former office but not walkng distance). I dislike so much the idea of making the trip again, even though it would be in the late morning, after the AM rush hour, that I am leaning strongly towards not going.

Other favorite reasons for not having to go to work are being able to do stuff at night after I come home from work, and being able to do errands during the day on weekdays.

At the recent school Scrabble tourney I ran last Wednesday, we were surprised by an appearance of a former (Scrabble) teacher/coach who retired after the last school year ended in June. We were talking about all the reasons she and I like about being retired and all of the ones mentioned in this thread were in her response. She so much enjoys being able to do errands during the day and meeting up with friends and relatives who do not work full-time.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #31

I enjoy doing whatever I feel like at the moment. Kind of like being an ADD teen again. Kind of does up the stress when I actually have to do something on a schedule though...
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

Or working in retail, this can be the 'customers' that you are trying to serve/help. Sometimes the customer is not right, but you have to grin and bear it.

Customer: The sky is purple.
You: I'm sure it was blue when I came in today.
Customer: I'm telling you the sky is purple, are you calling me a liar?
You: No sir, what else can I do for you?
Customer: Are you being condescending to me? I spend a lot of money here!

Some members of society are so mean and nasty that I wonder how they have made it through life so far? Life is too short to be that mean all the time, every time. It is sad when certain people come up to the counter and all 6 people working see who can say 'not it' first.

That will be one of my favorite things about not going to work, when that day comes.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 There's nothing better than rolling over in bed and realizing that you'd be at work if you weren't retired. Then drifting off for a few more minutes just because you can!
+1 more ... going to sleep when you are tired and waking up when you are refreshed ... ahhhhhhhhh
Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #34

Quote:
i just realized i used a 4 letter word in the title of this thread- sorry about my potty mouth. Still pretty new to the forum. If there is anyone out there that can edit the heading, feel free to clean up my filth.
fify
Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #35

Naps. When I want not when I can.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
fify
Thank you, kind sir.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #37
Administrator

So many of our responses revolve around sleeping in, and naps - - - I wonder if working people in other countries are as sleep deprived as most of us seem to have been when working. In my imagination, I visualize those in countries with institutionalized siestas as living an idyllic life during their working years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps their gripe is "Can't take my siesta when I want to, have to do it on a schedule"!

Amethyst

Quote:
So many of our responses revolve around sleeping in, and naps - - - I wonder if working people in other countries are as sleep deprived as most of us seem to have been when working. In my imagination, I visualize those in countries with institutionalized siestas as living an idyllic life during their working years.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Before I left for the USA I lived about 6 miles from the office, and car-pooled with 3 guys from the town I lived in. If I was driving I would leave the house at 8:10, otherwise I'd get picked up at 8:15. I'd be at my desk by 8:30.

Every lunchtime I'd go the the management club at Wilton Castle for a game of snooker and a pint. It was a 7.5 hr day, 1 hour for lunch, and I'd be home without fail by 5:30. I was in my mid 20's then and can honestly say that I really enjoying w*rking.

It only lasted for a few years before re-orgs, cost cutting etc meant I had to move on.

Photo is of Wilton Castle, which we visited while in England this year re-living some of those good memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (70.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #40
Administrator

Sounds wonderful, Alan! I might not have retired had I had such great working hours and environment.

Lovely photo, too. What a beautiful place.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote