Join Early Retirement Today

What's your Plan "B"?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What's your Plan "B"?

Everyone who undertakes ER thinks it will work out fine, but what if it doesn't?* I'm talking about finances here...if your assumed SWR proves way too high ten years down the road, what is your preferred way of coping?* It seems to me that having a plan "B" is just as important as all the FireCalc/Spreadsheet crunching.* I'm not sure what my reaction would be but there are several obvious alternatives:

Cut spending to the bone (Possum Living)*
Get a job* *:P
Drop medical insurance* *
Drop house, car, life insurance
Turn to crime
Move to the tropics* *8)
Reverse mortgage
Welfare
Drop internet connection**

I think I'd try some combination of the first four.

RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What's your Plan "B"?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #2

I'm sure possum living or reverse mortgage would do it for me.

Note: no one who's retired or close to it should have life insurance.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can I call you Al?

My plan B is real estate. Maybe flipping houses. Our holdings (2 houses, 1 condo) are going nuts. So nuts that it is screwing up my asset allocation percentages. I don't want to be a landlord. So when/if the gravy hits the fan, I'll sell something. So far its a nice problem to have.

You can call me Betty.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Get a job. (both of us)
Cut spending. (cell phones, eating out, minimize charitable gifting)
Downsize the house.
Sell the "toys".

kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Duh?

Fish camp, beater vehicle, deck hand on shrimp boat/barter - no real names, no medical, homeowners insurance, liability only, shut off the electricity except when really needed, red beans and rice. If you are living on 12k a year or more - you are spending too frivolusly - or if you have kids - put them to work - picking crab meat - $14/lb to the 'class' resturantants - $ under the table if you 'want' to be a crook. Records if honest - it's up to you to pay taxes(aka SS is the big honker here).

We have/had people out this way squat in the swamp or along the bayou for thirty* years with creative housiing built from free scrap lumber.

I haven't even started the list - if want to meet strange and creative - get outta the city/burbs. BTY - it was a different crowd but same 'think outside the box principles' growing up in the State of Washington. The gypsies and Dukabor's were my favorite - the hobo camps near the Union Pacific railroad were pretty cool too.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #6

Asking about plan "B" may assume that plan "A" means stopping cold-turkey for retirement.* My plan "A" was semi-retiring before fully stopping.* I stopped taking new clients and gave up some of my clients to cut my workload in half.* Now I consider what I do more of a paid hobby rather than stressful work.

In case I have an unexpected expense or if I want to generate additional money for entertainment, I have everything in place to work a few more hours a week.* So I guess that is my plan "B."

When I get to the point where my SWR is 4% to 5%, I expect to take my self-employment hours down to an average of 1 to 5 hours per week.* When I can get it to 3%, I plan to be completely retired.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My plan "A" looks pretty good, but I do have a plan "b", "c" and "d".

Plan B cuts spending. With no debt and no large spending needs, I simplify our diet a little, cut excess insurance, drop the cable tv and internet, and a few other cuts brings our annual rough spending down to ~12-16k. And we're living a fairly ok lifestyle at that spending level...I could do it for a couple of years easily and 5 without losing a lot of sleep over it.

Plan C has me getting a part time job doing something fluffy that I at least somewhat enjoy. If I can make 5-10k a year, we can go back to our current spending plan. I can make 5-10k a year cutting lawns and walking dogs fer chrissakes. The wife adds one day to her current 3 day work week. We're flush again.

Plan D sells the house, at todays prices we clea $400k for it after costs, no capital gains as we've lived in it for 2 years. Rents on a 2000 square foot house on 5 acres are in the 1400-2000 a month range. Do the math, the 400k invested in something really racy like Wellesley or a 5 year CD will throw off enough interest to pay the rent. Wait a while. If the economy is really bad, real estate prices probably decline, 5 years later I might be able to buy back the same house for less, pocket some money, and continue back to plan A.

That "no debt" thing really gives you a lot of options if the doody hits the air movement device...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Plan A. Live on 12-25k/yr. Let history do it's thing(1993 - 2005).

Plan B. Try to believe FireCalc and spend 75k/yr.

Plan C. Go back to work and research how to live to 102 instead of 92 so I can be cheap longer.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

What I am debating is whether to maintain my law license after I retire in case I need to go back to working. It costs a lot to keep up with the credits.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #10

Unclemick is still my hero. Love his "plan B" list

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I started to say I'd sell the house and move back on the water, but then I realized I have a golden goose sitting right here.

If worst comes to worst, I'll start charging th and JG a penny per post, and increase my standard of living.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
If worst comes to worst, I'll start charging th and JG a penny per post, and increase my standard of living.
With that increased flow of income, there will be more than enough to help the "young dreamers" forum members with their plan B.

MJ
Old 05-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
You can call your plan B "JG Pennies"

REW
Old 05-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #14

• do a few more hours as a trainer for the county ....
  • cut travel time or 'reinvent' as a guide
  • do more home remodeling myself and hire out less
#2 & 3 should cut my expenses in half :P
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWanabe
You can call your plan B "JG Pennies"
Groaaaannnn...

Sorry Dory, I'm too cheap to pay by the penny...I like the 'unlimited fixed cost options'. Besides, if I figure in my annual donations the last two years, I think I'm paying a little more than a penny a post already! :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Plan A is the LBYM in retirement, so if things crash, I expect to have a cushion to fall back on -- much like Unclemick although I don't think I could be as frugal as he. That's my Plan B

Martha, I'm going to keep my license, but that's plan D.

Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:13 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

As a fairly young Firee I have been thinking a lot about plan "b" (and c).
Back to work is always an option but leaving that out of the equation I, like BUM, have the option of selling or renting out some RE. RE was supposed to be 1/3 of my net but is racing towards being 1/2....

My(single) rock-bottom budget (incl. intl health insurance) is $1k/mth in Thailand. Even in a weak rental market I should be able to get that from rental income while my other investments recover.
A small part time hobby business could also help - but the key is that I am able to reduce my spending to the $12k/year mark.

Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

If we need a cushion to preserve/ grow our principal for future years, we will both pick up seasonal jobs- if we each make an extra few thousand per year, that will give us a substantial cushion and might be kinda fun.
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:35 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

After 11 yrs - hindsight being what is - I think plan A could use some rework in my case - less overkill on frugal.

I've read somewhere- the first ten years are the hardest.

Heh, heh, heh.

Prudent caution going forward - but lighten up a little - take the other end of the no. 2 pencil and erase plan B - for now.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
I think plan A could use some rework in my case - less overkill on frugal.
Please say it isn't so. You're my extreme frugal mentor.

MJ