When a LEO retires.....

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
I know there are other LEO's here, so I thought I would share something I received yesterday. Enjoy what you have earned, my brothers.

When a good man leaves the job and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet others, who may have already retired, wonder. We wonder if he [she] knows what they are leaving behind, because we already know. We know for example that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times. We know in the law enforcement life there is a fellowship which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breathe that remains in his frame. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the law enforcement world with a respect for what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing. Never think for one moment you are escaping from the life. You are only escaping the job and we are merely allowing you to leave active duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment that Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called children of God, and you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

retiredbop said:
... you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.
And here I thought you were talking about USMC.

In retirement you now have the time to join other fraternities, too...

Nords said:
And here I thought you were talking about USMC.

In retirement you now have the time to join other fraternities, too...

Heck I thought he was talking about people born the end of July and Most of August!

I am a LEO and so is my wife! :)

Nords, I belive that post could have easily applied to anyone who has committed a portion of their live to military service. Those of us who have put it on the line with our fellows (be it US mil or LEO/firefighters) have shared something the sheltered will never fully understand.

I salute all such persons.

Hmm, I'm a Leo too, but my Uncle is the LEO RetiredBop is refferring to.

DW is born in first part of December, can't remember what that sign is ( I never trusted that pick up line).

Leos rule! :D

Generous and warmhearted
Creative and enthusiastic
Broad-minded and expansive
Faithful and loving :) :) :)

On the dark side....

Pompous and patronizing
Bossy and interfering
Dogmatic and intolerant :eek: :eek: :eek:

From Astrology on line

ROFLMAO! Meadbh, Ive never placed much stock in that Astrology stuff, but that suits the majority of folks in my profession very well. Self included.

Astrology is pretty simple, but the cause and effect are reversed. All your life you read and are told about the 'qualities' of your 'sign', and since they're generally positive or at least 'delightfully devilish' characteristics, you begin to adopt them.

If someone threw in an additional sign "the schmuck" where you "often are a butthead and eat from the wrong end of the spoon", I doubt you'd see much adoption for folks born in that period...

WOW...I have been lurking on the Early Retirement Website for some time now but have never posted before. My wife and I are police officers in Ohio and I hope to retire soon(32 years service). This post really caught my eye and compelled me to respond...didnt realize there were so many brothers in blue on this site. Uncanny how many of us are also married to LEO's ! Cut-throat...have always enjoyed your posts..didnt realize you were also a LEO. It's interesting how LEO's are drawn to the outdoor sports ..I'm a fellow trout fisherman,hunter, backpacker,etc. Best wishes to all the other members in the saftey forces out there!!

akrono said:
WOW...I have been lurking on the Early Retirement Website for some time now but have never posted before. My wife and I are police officers in Ohio and I hope to retire soon(32 years service). This post really caught my eye and compelled me to respond...didnt realize there were so many brothers in blue on this site. Uncanny how many of us are also married to LEO's ! Cut-throat...have always enjoyed your posts..didnt realize you were also a LEO. It's interesting how LEO's are drawn to the outdoor sports ..I'm a fellow trout fisherman,hunter, backpacker,etc. Best wishes to all the other members in the saftey forces out there!!

Well, just so you understand, I am Leo in that I was born in late July. Professionaly I was a Software Developer. - Never have given anyone a ticket! :)

Cut-Throat said:
Well, just so you understand, I am Leo in that I was born in late July. Professionaly I was a Software Developer. - Never have given anyone a ticket! :)
A geek with a fly! Now you scared akrono away and he will never post again.

LEO, left handed, INTJ, en-ga-neer in a former life-

woe is me or whoopee??

heh heh heh - WITH a Curmudgeon Certificate.

Thanks to all of you front line LEO's.

I'm a second line Law enforcement person. I'm an Assistant D.A, the second part of the Law and Order TV show. We see some of the things you front liners see after it's been prettied up a bit. Still after trying numerous murder, rape, and child molestation cases my view of the people in this world is a bit skewed. I love the job, but one day when I retire (hopefully sooner rather than later), I want to w*rk or volunteer with a place where everyone is happy. Right now I'm thinking ballpark usher or playboy mansion gardener. My wife says I'll live longer being an usher ! :D

Thanks to all the poilice/fire/military guys and gals out there, reitred or not!

Mudd

Mudd said:
I want to w*rk or volunteer with a place where everyone is happy. Right now I'm thinking ballpark usher or playboy mansion gardener. My wife says I'll live longer being an usher ! :D
Hmmm, live longer in marital bliss or die happy pursuing my interests... I'm thinking, I'm thinking!

Mudd said:
Thanks to all of you front line LEO's.

I'm a second line Law enforcement person. I'm an Assistant D.A, the second part of the Law and Order TV show. We see some of the things you front liners see after it's been prettied up a bit. Still after trying numerous murder, rape, and child molestation cases my view of the people in this world is a bit skewed. I love the job, but one day when I retire (hopefully sooner rather than later), I want to w*rk or volunteer with a place where everyone is happy. Right now I'm thinking ballpark usher or playboy mansion gardener. My wife says I'll live longer being an usher ! :D

Thanks to all the poilice/fire/military guys and gals out there, reitred or not!

Mudd

My MIL is a probation officer, it's definitely made her a little more cynical and paranoid. It's comforting to know when Tori is being babysat her grandma is a 46 year old who does kick box aerobics and is a good shot. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom