Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When does ER get hard?

Whenever Mrs. ER wears her skimpy French maid's uniform.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #62

I went from working full time to a very part time position about two months ago. I have to admit, I've love the ability to do things at my leisure since I gave up the full time position. I now sleep until I feel like getting up. I do a very lengthy exercise routine in the morning, then I come back and drink my coffee, eat some breakfast, and read the entire newspaper front to back.

I usually put in a few hours a day of work just to keep myself stimulated, but I don't fret about how hard I'm working or what pace I'm going at. I just do enough to keep myself busy without feeling stressed. It's been an incredibly positive experience for me.

My biggest challenge now is that I've never done volunteer work before, and while I know I would enjoy doing it, I've been struggling to figure out what to do and how to find it. I hope to keep working on that until I find just the right thing. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the leisurely days, take lots of naps, and do whatever I feel like doing each day until I'm ready to move on to the next thing. Life in "Semi-ER" has been great for me. No regrets!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I went from working full time to a very part time position about two months ago. I have to admit, I've love the ability to do things at my leisure since I gave up the full time position. I now sleep until I feel like getting up. I do a very lengthy exercise routine in the morning, then I come back and drink my coffee, eat some breakfast, and read the entire newspaper front to back.

I usually put in a few hours a day of work just to keep myself stimulated, but I don't fret about how hard I'm working or what pace I'm going at. I just do enough to keep myself busy without feeling stressed. It's been an incredibly positive experience for me.

My biggest challenge now is that I've never done volunteer work before, and while I know I would enjoy doing it, I've been struggling to figure out what to do and how to find it. I hope to keep working on that until I find just the right thing. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the leisurely days, take lots of naps, and do whatever I feel like doing each day until I'm ready to move on to the next thing. Life in "Semi-ER" has been great for me. No regrets!
Ready, you are doing your routine in the order as that gets you in a better frame of mind for the day. Regretfully, I am too lazy and do it backwards. I get my coffee going, walk out to the driveway in my boxers and get the paper. Take the coffee and paper back to bed and read it cover to cover. Then I drag out the IPad and check the net and emails, and eat. Next thing I know it's noon already and then I go work out. Now it's 2 o'clock, and I haven't ate lunch or got anything done yet!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #64

Quote:
My biggest challenge now is that I've never done volunteer work before, and while I know I would enjoy doing it, I've been struggling to figure out what to do and how to find it. I hope to keep working on that until I find just the right thing.
There are so many volunteer opportunists out there that it should be relatively easy to find one that ties in with your interests. Just be prepared for a lengthy application process. What with interviews, reference checks, police background checks, orientation sessions, training programs, health screening (for hospitals etc.), it often takes longer to start working for free than to work for wages! But be patient, it's all worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
When does ER get hard?Whenever Mrs. ER wears her skimpy French maid's uniform.
Are you familiar with the French Maids' "How to Give CPR" video? You might enjoy it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Are you familiar with the French Maids' "How to Give CPR" video?
I am now.
Thanks, Milton.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Like Brewer12345, this is the part that has me a bit scared, as well. Up until this past week at work, my plan was to retire anywhere between 2016 and 2020, (age 46 to 50), depending on the economy, my own financial situation, how well-balanced the BS buckets are, etc. Well, last week, let's just say the kitty litter hit the fan.

I got so fed up that I almost turned in my badges and walked out. Several times. Ended up taking off Friday to cool off. It didn't work. I'm supposed to meet with my immediate supervisor, who's as useless as teets on a boar, and another manager who feels my pain and is rooting for me. But right now I'm so fed up that I'm thinking of taking Monday off as well. I don't even want to look at that building, let alone go in it. So I might just tell them let's meet for lunch nearby, or something.

So in my case, obviously, I'm running away from something, rather than to something. Firecalc says I have about a 95% chance of making it. I'm scared of the potential change, but at the same time, giddy about the possibilities.

This is probably an obscure reference, but I feel kinda like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode, just before he broke his glasses. There's "Time Enough At Last!!"
So what happened? I was on vacation for the past week in a place where I would have to drive a solid half an hour just to get a cell signal, so I missed lots of things.

For the record, my direct boss is easily the best manager I have ever worked for, but he has a boar tit above him and a relentless micromanager above the tit. So even with a sympathetic, pragmatic and generally pleasant person directly above me, it does not matter. I've been ready to turn in my ID weekly in the past 3 or 4 months, but I am hanging on until the end of the year. If I did not have that light at the end of the tunnel, I would be going nuts.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
It was never hard
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
It was never hard

It just is not hard. We are 7 years in. There are still times when we look at each other and the knowing grin appears on our faces. OK sometimes we do the ER happy dance, but only in public, and only if we think folk might be watching... ER is simply a wonderful thing. It will never be hard.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

But getting used to the idea is hard. I have a few more working days left, but I'm using up my remaining vacation days, so I will never again have to go to work on a Monday. But yesterday, I kept "forgetting" that I don't have to sit around on Sunday evening dreading going to work on Monday.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
But getting used to the idea is hard. I have a few more working days left, but I'm using up my remaining vacation days, so I will never again have to go to work on a Monday. But yesterday, I kept "forgetting" that I don't have to sit around on Sunday evening dreading going to work on Monday.
I have been retired for almost 2 years. After working at big companies for over 20 years, I still feel a little shudder come Sunday nights. And, similarly, I still get a rush on Fridays. I wonder when, or if, those feelings will ever go away.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I have been retired for almost 2 years. After working at big companies for over 20 years, I still feel a little shudder come Sunday nights. And, similarly, I still get a rush on Fridays. I wonder when, or if, those feelings will ever go away.
That's funny - I am finding the opposite now. I can't wait for the weekdays to come so that I can ride my bike and do my shopping without all the crazy traffic that comes with the weekends. It's so busy in my town on the weekends that I tend to stay in most of the time to avoid the craziness, and can't wait until Monday for things to slow down again so I can leave the house and play!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That's funny - I am finding the opposite now. I can't wait for the weekdays to come so that I can ride my bike and do my shopping without all the crazy traffic that comes with the weekends. It's so busy in my town on the weekends that I tend to stay in most of the time to avoid the craziness, and can't wait until Monday for things to slow down again so I can leave the house and play!
Don't get me wrong. I love hanging around my neighborhood on weekdays, especially in the morning. . There is never a crowd at the gym. Or the supermarket. And I have the park all to myself. It is awesome.