Join Early Retirement Today
Re: when ER too early
Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally Posted by Azanon
I think if I play my cards correctly I will be able to retire at 40 years old.
Sweet, you're going to have at least 2 mil by then or the income power of 2 mil? Awesome man, gratz!

If not, .... you're insane. There are a lot of recklass people here; beware. There are also a lot of people here trying to make themselves feel better about their dumb move of pulling the trigger too early by suckering someone else into doing it.

I dunno about you, but i plan on making at least 85 as a health nut. 85-40 is a LONG time and I wouldnt risk that retirement timeframe without a huge wad of cash.

hmmm ok ... that seems loaded. however I don't really plan on doing this like everyone else. I am very conservative, and don't want to make any mistakes. thus I have many stages in my plan, and if you are interested I can share them.

(Stage one)

have my rentals paid off. This will pay all of my bill. If this was my only plan I would be able to sit in a room and watch the flys.

(Stage two)

Have my 401K hit $450K by the age of 40. I don't plan on touching it unitl 60. In fact I may continue to add to it via a SEP plan. This should continue to grow to $2M, unless I continue to contribute to my SEP in which case it will be larger. This will fully fund everything post 60.

(Stage three)

Live off my carwash proceeds. Assumming my bills are paid via my rental then this is $50-$100K of gravy I can use to travel and save for future investments.

(Stage four ... optional)

I would like to build some commercial realestate.

(Stage five)

Once I hit 60 I plan to sell the carwashes, and bank the money.

(stage six)

start pulling out my 401k

(stage seven)

start drawing SS, assumming my generation will be getting SS.

If all works out this will be more than enough money. If not then I have several back up plans.

If it all works out then I should have a networth of aproximatly $1.7M by forty, $3M by 50 and $6M by 60. But remember I don't really plan on cashing in all of my assets to use as investments rather I plan to leave them allone to live off them. Cashing them will cost me dearly in taxes, and feels a little more risky.

rw86347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has anyone else retired this early?
My husband and I retired at age 38, in 1991.

Do you regret it?
Not for one single day. It only gets better.

Stage one... Stage seven
Sounds like you have some common sense there, and aren't afraid either of working, or taking a risk.* You are in the plus column on both counts.

The best to you!

Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

In 1991 Billy and Akaisha Kaderli retired at the age of 38. They have lived over 2 decades of this financially independent lifestyle, traveling the globe.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote