Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Man...that's a shame. I'm sorry.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Man...that's a shame. I'm sorry.
Thanks bbbamI. We were very much looking forward to this trip, but hey, stuff happens. At least we're not stuck in some airport somewhere trying to find a way home like so many others are right now.

Is is just me or has the past year included an unusual number of natural disasters?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Is is just me or has the past year included an unusual number of natural disasters?
I think this sums it up.....
Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Purron,

I am sorry to hear that your trip is a no go. I do not blame you in the least. In fact I was worried about you when I revisited this thread earlier today after seeing the latest on the ash cloud. I think you made a wise decision.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I think this sums it up.....
Thanks for giving me something to laugh about
Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
Purron,

I am sorry to hear that your trip is a no go. I do not blame you in the least. In fact I was worried about you when I revisited this thread earlier today after seeing the latest on the ash cloud. I think you made a wise decision.
I appreciate this so much. While Rome is not directly impacted, it's just a mess all over Europe. Vacations should be relaxing. I had my fill of stress from working for over 35 years.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Good decision. Rome is amazing (visited in 1975) and it will still be there when the dust has settled. Literally!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We cancelled our trip to Rome due to the travel chaos caused by the volcano. We'll try to recover our deposit or use it on a future trip.
That is too bad... but a wise decision, nonetheless. I am unsure how to console you... maybe this will help:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I did hear this morning that they had canceled most flights into northern Italy, So the conditions must be worsening in Italy now. Yes, Rome will still be there when the conditions are right.
I would definitely not want to go at present and wonder if I could make it home in any reasonable time. It's to scary. Though Italy would be a great place to be stranded, a couple of weeks extra might put a big whole in by LBYM budget.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That is too bad... but a wise decision, nonetheless. I am unsure how to console you... maybe this will help
It did help
Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At least we're not stuck in some airport somewhere trying to find a way home like so many others are right now.
Yep, thank your lucky stars this all happened before you hopped the pond.

I heard a news report saying it could be two weeks or more before some folks can get a flight home - and that's only if the volcano and winds cooperate, which it doesn't appear to be happening. What a nightmare, especially for those traveling with children.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I am so sorry your trip is a no go !
Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, thank your lucky stars this all happened before you hopped the pond.

I heard a news report saying it could be two weeks or more before some folks can get a flight home - and that's only if the volcano and winds cooperate, which it doesn't appear to be happening. What a nightmare, especially for those traveling with children.
Wow - two weeks. I exchanged emails with my BiL the day before yesterday and he said he was stuck in London. I hope he has a hotel room and isn't stuck at the airport. He hasn't written back yet, I hope he's not stuck on a cot at Heathrow with a dead Blackberry.

It does seem like there have been a lot of seismic events recently. Lot of press generated behind it all, and even some claims that an increase is due to climate change in some fashion I didn't quite understand. But some reading around on the net and I found that according to the people who track all of this that seismic activity is unchanged, it's just that we're more in tune with what is happening. From the USGS:
Quote:
We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.

A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate earthquakes more rapidly and to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years. The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in the environment and natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 17 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year.
Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I've heard one science commentator say it's all about Location, Location, Location. As far as volcanoes go, they happen regularly, but the last one that caused global changes was Mount Pinatubo (which caused a band of ash right around the Equator and a drop in temperatures globally for a year). The problem with this unpronounceable volcano in Iceland is the way the wind is blowing. As of this morning, seismologists were saying it could go on belching ash for months. Maybe this will signal the rebirth of the passenger shipping industry....now that would be a disruptive enconomic event!