Join Early Retirement Today

Re: When will gas prices alter driving habits??
Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Price has not changed our habits, nor has it changed the driving habits of those with less income than ours. That's what I find so very interesting, that the use of gasonline does not seem to change much with price. People will turn the thermostat down to 55, will put in wood stoves, but won't stop taking the trip to the store for just a few items, pick up the kids at soccer/baseball/judo/dance practice, or just go out for a drive. At one time we thought that 2, then 2.50, then 3 a gallon would start to bite. Hasn't yet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Price will not change the behavior until I see 5 dollars a gallon. americans love their rides. Plus credit card charges for gasoline hide the price to some extent. Yes there are people building up significant balances on their credit cards when the prices go up. That will bite them in the rear some day.

I believe the driving habits will change when there are shortages of gasoline, which could happen any month. Hurricane in the gulf that hits Houston, War with Iran, terror attack in Saudi oil field etc.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Price will not change the behavior until I see 5 dollars a gallon. americans love their rides. Plus credit card charges for gasoline hide the price to some extent. Yes there are people building up significant balances on their credit cards when the prices go up. That will bite them in the rear some day.

I believe the driving habits will change when there are shortages of gasoline, which could happen any month. Hurricane in the gulf that hits Houston, War with Iran, terror attack in Saudi oil field etc.
Agree............ Also, I wonder why Toyota sells a hybrid minivan in Japan but not the US?? Perhaps the price of gas is higher in Japan??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
At $4/gal it would cost $5,000 or $1,250 more per year. That may sound like a lot, but it translates to only $104 more per month, and I'm not likely to change my habits for only $100 per month.

You have to put rising fuel costs in perspective.
Exactly. 10,000 miles in a 20mpg average car/SUV is 500 gallons per year. Changing where I go and what I do probably wouldn't happen until gas hit $10/gallon . . . even then it's an extra $3,500 per year ($5,000 total) which probably wouldn't make me change my driving habits significantly. Short term $5 or $6 gas sounds astronomical but I can't imagine driving less to save $1,000 per year or so.

Not to mention that my oil stocks would probably be soaring by then so I might actually drive more then . . .
Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #25

I don't know if it's the one you remember but one of those incidents happened at a gas station two blocks from my apt in Riverdale, MD.

Hey Mike, where in Riverdale was that apartment? When I was an infant, we lived in an apartment complex right off East-West Highway that bordered the B-W Parkway. I was too young to remember living there though, and can't recall the name of it. My Granddad and Dad still live over that way, so I go by there fairly regularly. Heck, I might even know the gas station if you named it!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Have a short commute, and don't joyride much, so gas prices suck, but don't hurt that much.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #27

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
in fact just got back from a top down, drive fast so it don't rain in the car, drive down to south beach and back.
LOL, I have a '67 Catalina convertible, and I discovered that too, that if you drive fast enough in the rain with the top down, the air flow just takes the rain right over the top of the car and the interior will stay dry!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #28

Have 2 weeks off in August. Had a planned driving trip up the Pacific Northwest. Part of canceling it and staying near home is due to the suspected fuel costs. Not like heading up to Lake Tahoe for a couple weeks is much of a downgrade :
Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Probably more than price, the gas lines of the 70s caused quite a few people to take notice. Small cars were big for a while back then. If we had instituted a substantial gas tax at the time our habits might very well have changed. Certainly there would have been an incentive for the manufacturers to develop more fuel efficient motors. As for today, remember, even at the seemingly high prices, fuel costs are merely keeping up with inflation (at least I have read that in several articles). A $1/gallon tax rising to $2 in 5 or 10 years would stimulate some changes.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I don't know if it's the one you remember but one of those incidents happened at a gas station two blocks from my apt in Riverdale, MD.

Hey Mike, where in Riverdale was that apartment? When I was an infant, we lived in an apartment complex right off East-West Highway that bordered the B-W Parkway. I was too young to remember living there though, and can't recall the name of it. My Granddad and Dad still live over that way, so I go by there fairly regularly. Heck, I might even know the gas station if you named it!
It was the Park Tanglewood apts. It was just off East West highway by the train tracks. (a potato chip truck got hit there by a train once - what a mess) I can't remember the name or brand of the gas station - it was a long time ago. The apts (and Riverdale in general, are a dump now).

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Gas consumption was down last year in the US. I hadn't expected that without a recession. I drive a little less and combine my trips more, but since I don't drive much to begin with, it doesn't make much difference.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #32

Our mass transit authority noted a 10-20% increase in bus ridership immediately after the $3+ gas hit following Katrina. Don't know if those numbers remained high or not. I expect these increases in gas prices to cause changes in behaviour on the margins. Folks might prefer a few more MPG in new car purchases. Folks might want to be a little more efficient in reducing/combining trips. Might be a reduction in trip quantity/length for vacation/recreation purposes. But only on the margins.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an SUV now which averages 18 mpg. I plan to purchase a Prius next year to replace it. I just do not want to keep sending my dollars overseas.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 AM   #34

Well gasoline prices are at or just above 3 dollars a gallon nation wide as of april 29.

Change of habits? Nope, there were still 18 cars waiting and idling on the drivethru window of the fast food bojangles and McDonalds yesterday morning! That was a total of 39 cars waiting to buy fast food garbage while burning 3+ a gallon gasoline!

What are these morons thinking?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:19 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

i paid 3.60 here in nyc for premium
Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
i paid 3.60 here in nyc for premium
Amazing, it is way before july 1. I bet we see gasoline over 4.50 a gallon.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Price will not change the behavior until I see 5 dollars a gallon.
Quote:
Change of habits? Nope, there were still 18 cars waiting and idling on the drivethru window of the fast food bojangles and McDonalds yesterday morning! That was a total of 39 cars waiting to buy fast food garbage while burning 3+ a gallon gasoline!

What are these morons thinking?
When I look at your two posts, it appears that you call yourself a moron. Is that what you meant?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

When I look at your two posts, it appears that you call yourself a moron. Is that what you meant?
Thanks for that..
Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

If gas prices go to $5/gal... we will be spending approximately $100 - $120/wk on gas. Ouch! I am sure there are those that would spend more. DW and I both drive approx 24k mi/yr. One car requires high octane (premium) it is a 4 cyl. The other is a 6 cyl.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #40

Ouch! Just filled up that gas-guzzler civic of mine for the first time in 3 weeks. $32!!! That's the first time I've broken $30 on a tank I believe.