Join Early Retirement Today

Re: When will gas prices alter driving habits??
Old 04-30-2007, 04:16 AM   #41
gone traveling

Looking at over 3 dollars a gallon this week here in the raleigh for reg unleaded. Crude is now above 66 dollars a barrel.

There is no stopping the price run up now for the summer driving season.

Get ready for 4+ a gallon.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we refuse to develop known reasources in the US and refuse to allow construction of new refinery capacity this should not be a shock to anyone. Our consumption of gas is 9.1 million gal/day but our refinery capacity is only 8.7 million gallons per day. OOPS an inconvient truth
Old 04-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie
Since we refuse to develop known reasources in the US and refuse to allow construction of new refinery capacity this should not be a shock to anyone. Our consumption of gas is 9.1 million gal/day but our refinery capacity is only 8.7 million gallons per day. OOPS an inconvient truth
Isn't that 9.1 million BARRELS a day?? Or are we thriftier than I thought as a country............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We are going to need new refineries and alternative fuels pretty d** quick. If Bin Laden and Co. had been successful last week, we would be paying $16.00 a gallon today. Let's ask the presidential hopefuls about their energy plans.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Isn't that 9.1 million BARRELS a day?? Or are we thriftier than I thought as a country.

Just trying to help everyone's carbon foot print. It seams to me that you are correct. It was barrels not gallons. Just means we are even further behind the supply/demand curve.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie
Isn't that 9.1 million BARRELS a day?? Or are we thriftier than I thought as a country.

Just trying to help everyone's carbon foot print. It seams to me that you are correct. It was barrels not gallons. Just means we are even further behind the supply/demand curve.
I think the world consumes something like 30 billion barrels a year, so we better find something pretty soon..............

Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

At some point we'll say, "Remember when gas was @2.99/gal ?" Of course, we'll all be dead or walking by then

Guess the answer is to just to keep getting on, by getting on. Doesn't seem like anyone has a clue! The Feds don't, the Presidential wannabees, don't.

We have found the enemy, and it's US! Deplorable, that this great nation, is so incompetent and incapable of making a decision, to rectify this issue.
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid
At some point we'll say, "Remember when gas was @2.99/gal ?" Of course, we'll all be dead or walking by then

Guess the answer is to just to keep getting on, by getting on. Doesn't seem like anyone has a clue! The Feds don't, the Presidential wannabees, don't.

We have found the enemy, and it's US! Deplorable, that this great nation, is so incompetent and incapable of making a decision, to rectify this issue.
You are so darn right!!

Americans are so dumb and wasteful! Yes just wait gang no railroads no real way to get from point A to B when the oil runs out OR when Bin laden and scum bomb Some oil infrastucture !!

Just like when I see 19 cars idling at the bojangles fast food driveup window waiting for a darn biscuit!

BANG Look at this and its only april 30th

http://marketwatch.nytimes.com/custo...d=NYT&dist=NYT

3.02 a gallon!!!Are you angry yey? Are you getting rid of your wasteful vehicles??

Every useless politician running for president has no vision! Not a one republican or democrat!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Every useless politician running for president has no vision! Not a one republican or democrat!
New Guy, you are such a fence sitter! Why don't you just come out and say what you mean some time?

Ha
Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quite frankly, I am not too worried about the cost of gasoline. The fact is, we have the technology today to get me to work at 100 mpg, if not 150 mpg. That means that I effectively could pay four times more for fuel per gallon and spend the same amount of money per year, as I currently get 25 mpg. Do you really think fuel will reach $12/gallon? At this point alcohol will actually make sense.

Now, I am certain that I will not like my 150cc scooter as much as my car, but the reality is we have been living a fossil fuel fantasy for about 100 years and it will end. Life will not end and we will still drive to work.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gas prices don't really concern me as I‘m retired. No commuting miles. I have 3 motorcycles that get 40 to 55MPG. Most of my neighbors will stop driving before I do.

I feel sorry for the working poor that have to get to work to make $7 bucks an hour.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude
Gas prices don't really concern me as I‘m retired. No commuting miles. I have 3 motorcycles that get 40 to 55MPG. Most of my neighbors will stop driving before I do.

I feel sorry for the working poor that have to get to work to make $7 bucks an hour.

Well one concern is you will pay more for food in the stores and anything else that needs to be shipped by truck. Any service sector will also pass on the increased prices to the consumer.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
ust like when I see 19 cars idling at the bojangles fast food driveup window waiting for a darn biscuit!
We have already established that most people here including yourself would not change your habits until gas reaches somewhere around $5/gal. So if they waited in the drive thru when gas was $1.50/gal, what surprises you about them waiting in the drive-thru when gas is $3/gal.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt
We have already established that most people here including yourself would not change your habits until gas reaches somewhere around $5/gal. So if they waited in the drive thru when gas was $1.50/gal, what surprises you about them waiting in the drive-thru when gas is $3/gal.
I would make some serious changes at $4.00. When it went to around $3.00 early in 2006, I traded an SUV for a Honda Accord, and saved $840 in gas last year.........

Old 05-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

the post-katrina gas run-up had me perusing the want-ads for a few months (I currently have a 60 mile round trip commute ), though I didn't find anything that could match the bennies (financial and otherwise) I get here. We ARE looking for homes closer to my w*rk, as I intend to stay there till FIRE. At least one of our cars is probably going to be replaced with a hybrid, though we both drive fairly efficient cars.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
Well one concern is you will pay more for food in the stores and anything else that needs to be shipped by truck. Any service sector will also pass on the increased prices to the consumer.
And just when I was feeling so good...