Join Early Retirement Today

When's dinner/lunch
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

When's dinner/lunch

Not ER'd yet but was wondering when you eat? Of course there's all the jokes about the age of the 4:30 dinner crowd, but today we had lunch/ dinner at 3:30, mainly because that's the only time we could get our Father(in-law) into a popular restaurant, and it agrees with me. I think this dovetails with the "what hours do you sleep" thread, but when we ER I can see getting up around 8:00ish, getting in a run, having a good healthy breakfast, doing whatever, having a snack, then fixing a combined late lunch early dinner. Fewer calories and grocery bills?
Ksols is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We eat lunch together at a local restaurant, usually around 2:30 or 3:30. This is wonderful because restaurants are not crowded at 3:30, and parking is plentiful.

Dinner is usually around 8 PM for me.

I like your idea of a combined lunch and dinner! We usually split our lunch for fewer calories.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Because of my work schedule I try not to get out of bed until at least 1pm. I eat lupper(lunch/dinner) at about 2:30. Have a small snack at work at 7:30 then "lunch" at work at about 11:30pm. I get home at 5:30am and have breakfast. Not a very typical or traditional schedule. So what! On my days off I never eat just because of the time of day. I eat when i'm hungry. I may eat only 1 meal and a couple of snacks or I may eat 4 or 5 meals. When i'm retired i'll eat when i'm hungry and sleep when i'm tired not based on a predetermined time that is "normal".
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not eat breakfast, except maybe from some fruit or a bagel/cream cheese. If I am not hungry, I stick to coffee/milk/sugar and drink a Boost.
Mr B and I usually have a light lunch around 12 when he returns from his coffee session. If he gets home later, I go ahead and have a very light snack (fruit, string cheese, cheese/crackers and/or ChexMix) so we can eat together at 2 PM or so.
He is on doctors orders to improve his diet, exercise and try to lose about 10 lbs. He's getting there.
I am trying to get him to change over to eating a larger healthier midday meal. I rarely cook large dinner meals anymore to reinforce getting away from the "starve all day and eat big portions for the evening meal" habit he has had for too many years (pre-Freebird era ). So far so good.
He also likes to eat dinner out , but I pointed out this habit of HIS was defeating MY weight loss goals. So we agreed to eat out only once a week, and only on a day when we skimped on the midday meal. If we had a large midday meal, no eating out at night.
To avoid being a complete PITA, I relented and agreed to go to 25 cent chicken wing night once a week on Tuesdays at the Legion. We keep ourselves limited to 10 wings each.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breakfast around 8:00 am
Lunch around 12:00 am
Snack around 3:00 pm
Dinner around 5:00 pm
Snack around 7:30 pm
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksols View Post
Not ER'd yet but was wondering when you eat?
In college I ran across the motto "Eat 'til you're tired, sleep 'til you're hungry."

In ER we pretty much graze all day, except when we're napping...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Lunch is around 2-3:00 pm. Dinner is around 7-8:00 pm.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

breakfast around 8 am
lunch around noon
dinner around 6 pm

But I almost always do the senior citizen 4:30 dinner when I'm dining out or getting carry out at our condo in Arizona. Usually crowded at that time out there.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In college I ran across the motto "Eat 'til you're tired, sleep 'til you're hungry."

In ER we pretty much graze all day, except when we're napping...
Same here on grazing all day.

I typically have four meals a day though, starting with breakfast around 6:30am (after my daily run), then at approx 10:30am, 3:30pm, and 7:30pm, with fruit in between. I am fairly active and try to eat somewhat healthy so have never had weight issues.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
gone traveling

OK - I'm going to be the PIA in this thread (among many others ).

What does it matter what I do? If you are content with "your schedule", so be it.

You don't need to follow my "options" of where I live, or what I spend related to vacations, trips, housing, relocation, etc. "schedule" in lifestyle, related to what I eat, nor when I eat. What works for you? That's most important IMHO...

What is most important, IMHO? Live your life, as you wish. Nobody else matters ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We eat breakfast about 8, eat fruit at 12 when we get home from the gym, then eat our main meal about 2. In the evening we snack while watching TV; our snacks consist of fruit, laughing cow cheese and crackers, frozen fruit bars. We both lost about 30 pounds since January.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #12

After so many years of rotating shift work the terms "breakfast", "lunch", "dinner" became somewhat meaningless. So if I got off work at 6:00 AM, and either grilled a couple of burgers or ate a bowl of cereal and went to bed I didn't notice that my body cared.

So we just kind of eat whatever looks good when we're hungry and don't mind the clock much.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Agree...you are. I enjoy reading what others do, thank you very much.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What does it matter what I do? If you are content with "your schedule", so be it.
You don't need to follow my "options" of where I live, or what I spend related to vacations, trips, housing, relocation, etc. "schedule" in lifestyle, related to what I eat, nor when I eat. What works for you? That's most important IMHO...
What is most important, IMHO? Live your life, as you wish. Nobody else matters ...
My goodness. It may not matter to you when we eat our cornflakes, but we'd appreciate them more if they weren't pissed in.

I think the OP was just asking for a little friendly mentoring on creative ideas of how to live their ER life. I guess telling them to go live their own life is one version of that creativity.

Oh, wait, I get it-- you're bucking for a curmudgeon certificate?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

I usually have breakfast at 8:30 on gym days . The rest of the time it is 9:30 . Lunch is very light when I am hungry usually between 11:30 and 1 . Dinner if I'm cooking is 6 or 6:30 . If we go out it's usually early and lots of time we share .When I eat lunch out with my gym pals I skip supper . It's just too much food. I stopped snacking entirely except for an occasional piece of fruit or a glass of V-8 juice . Of course if for some reason there happens to be chips in my house all bets are off .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Oh, wait, I get it-- you're bucking for a curmudgeon certificate?
I already have one, TYVM (and I'm quite proud of it).

Stay off my grass, BTW ...
Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme

No offense, but isn't that the whole point of a forum? Find out what other people do? I was a little giddy about what it will be like when it happens.
Ksols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

The best deals at almost all restaurants are for the lunch meal and the fact is that even at the lunch meal most American restaurants' serving sizes are twice what a senior citizen ought to be eating. So, DW and I often get the lunch special and take home carryout boxes for dinner. LBYM?

Back in the day when I was eating out with work associates, I would always clean my plate, no matter how much was on it or how stuffed I was.

I blame this on my first grade teacher. She had a chart on the wall with every one's name on it. Whenever you cleaned your lunch plate at the school cafeteria, she would place a gold star by your name. I had more gold stars than anyone else in my class.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksols View Post
No offense, but isn't that the whole point of a forum? Find out what other people do? I was a little giddy about what it will be like when it happens.
You sound as if you are on Twitter, in which every action must be "reported" moment to moment, to others.

Am I wrong?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You sound as if you are on Twitter, in which every action must be "reported" moment to moment, to others.
Am I wrong?
Hey hey hey, I find Twitter to be a useful communications tool. It was particularly apt during the tsunami watch after the Sendai earthquake.

Definitely curmudgeon class.