Join Early Retirement Today

Re: "Where do you work?"
Old 06-17-2004, 02:06 PM   #21

Hello ESRBob! I don't think my friend is suicidal or
even depressed. I've known him like forever. He is
gainfully employed (farmer) and seems happy with
that. He and his wife seem perfect for each other.
Kids turned out fine; good students, good people.
It's just that he startled me a bit with that. Maybe
it's a real non-issue and I just got blindsided a
little. Sure hope so.

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2004, 07:08 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
New answers for the incessant question:

"I don't." *Presumption is that you're unemployed, and the subject quickly changes or the conversation terminates. *The burden of the decision is on the interrogator, who may just decide to leave you alone now. *Or you may have to read further for other answers...

"At home." *Presumption is that you're (1) unemployed, (2) an at-home parent, (3) a sadly deluded victim of the work-at-home industry, or (4) a combination of the above. *The subject quickly changes or you'll be left alone. *

"I'm an at-home parent." *Conversation quickly darts away from unemployment to the joys of raising children.

"Oh, I spend most of my time surfing or fixing up my house." *See "I don't", but now the conversation can move to surfing or home improvement.

"I'm a writer." *You must not be able to hold a real job, but at least you can hold up your end of the book club.

"I'm taking care of (my wife's parents)(our family investments)(our rental property)." *You're still an unemployed bum, but now you have a purpose in life that's worth discussing.

FWIW, my interrogator eventually brought up the fact that he worked in a shipyard. *I mentioned that I'd been in the Navy, and we had quite an enjoyable conversation about shipyards, our families, and that other eternal question-- "But waddya DO all day?!?".
Hey I like those answers Nords. You must have been asked that alot I take it? I'll try some of those out and see what kind of reaction I get. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:55 AM   #23

Ten years ago I got a lot of comments and questions.
Now, it rarely comes up, I assume because I look
like I could be retired. Yesterday my dad said "hey isn't
so-and-so retired?" I said "yeah, about a year now."
Dad says, "He's pretty young." I pointed out that he was in my class in high school. Dad says, "Yeah but he looks a lot younger". Ouch!

John Galt
Old 06-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

An old 'friend' tried to reassure me today, said something like: don't worry, you'll find a job soon. Most just don't get it. If I wanted a job I'd stay where I was. I think alot of my peers, my age bracket anyway, assume that the retirement is really unemployment!
Gotta start using these posted lines instead of my response during the spring (I'm a tax preparer, sorry too busy to do yours, call me next year, I'm taking most of the spring off... even though I had plenty of time ... just lack of motivation)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:01 AM   #25

My parents took a while to accept my ER, especially my
mother. For years she would clip ads for jobs in the paper and send them to me. I don't recall any friends who were unable to "get it", although a few were profoundly shocked.
I think this was partly due to the short interval
between the germination of the idea and harvest time.
Anyway, I've always had a different view of "work"
than most folks. I never worried whether I had a job or not. I think this was due to my outsized ego

John Galt