"Where do you work?"

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
New answers for the incessant question:

"I don't." Presumption is that you're unemployed, and the subject quickly changes or the conversation terminates. The burden of the decision is on the interrogator, who may just decide to leave you alone now. Or you may have to read further for other answers...

"At home." Presumption is that you're (1) unemployed, (2) an at-home parent, (3) a sadly deluded victim of the work-at-home industry, or (4) a combination of the above. The subject quickly changes or you'll be left alone.

"I'm an at-home parent." Conversation quickly darts away from unemployment to the joys of raising children.

"Oh, I spend most of my time surfing or fixing up my house." See "I don't", but now the conversation can move to surfing or home improvement.

"I'm a writer." You must not be able to hold a real job, but at least you can hold up your end of the book club.

"I'm taking care of (my wife's parents)(our family investments)(our rental property)." You're still an unemployed bum, but now you have a purpose in life that's worth discussing.

FWIW, my interrogator eventually brought up the fact that he worked in a shipyard. I mentioned that I'd been in the Navy, and we had quite an enjoyable conversation about shipyards, our families, and that other eternal question-- "But waddya DO all day?!?".

and that other eternal question-- "But waddya DO all day?!?".

I have started answering this one like - "Pursuing my own interests, instead of my former employers' interests"

When I get "the question", I tell them "Whatever I
want!" This is literally true, as I can do
anything I really want. I just can't do everything.

John Galt

Darn!

After eleven yrs of ER, I don't get asked as much anymore. Sigh --- but I'll keepin mind some of the good zingers posted -- just in case somebody asks.

I'm still working for hopefully a short time longer. I work in a brewery in quality control. At one point I was required to sample two or three brews early in the morning. Did this for a long time and I really don't like beer any more. The morning naps were not what the boss has wanted. Before that I was a fisheries biologist and sampled fish by every imaginable mechanical device possible. I don't like to fish any more. Lesson - don't make your hobby your career.

For early retirement I've preparing my answer and would go something like, "I'm taking some time off to find my inner child."

A few weeks ago I was at a luncheon and the news director of the local NBC affiliate came over and sat next to me. He asked me what I did. I told him I was sick of work by age 38, started saving aggressively, learned how to invest, and recently retired at 51. Turns out he wants out too but can't afford to leave. He seemed fascinated by the concept of ER, but had no clue how to even begin; talked about his "financial planner". Anyway, we had a nice visit.

I've had similar encounters and usually find that the other party would bail in a heartbeat if they knew how, or even knew it was possible. Maybe this isn't the norm, but I actually enjoy telling people exactly what I did and why.

Yeah Bob_Smith, I love telling people how I did it, and
it is not to generate envy, I am just fascinated by the process. Of course it comes pretty naturally to me as I love
talking about myself in any venue. You could ask my
wife :)

John Galt

My favorite one-liner was, "work? Yeah, work is ok, but I just don't seem to have time for it any more..." :D (Course then I started studying SWR's and realized I still needed to do a bit of work.)

Good news yesterday -- the company I founded years ago is going public and I'll finally get liquid on those founder shares, so maybe I'll be able to be full time ER after all!

ESRBob

Hello ESR Bob and congrats on "getting liquid" on your
founder shares.

In 1993 when I semiretired, I decided it would be very difficult to sell off my small (private) company as a going
concern. Thus, I dismantled it and sold it off piece by piece. Took me over 2 years, but it worked out quite well.

John Galt

Sage post Nords!

At the last party I went to, a 40th birthday for the wifes brother, I told everyone "I'm wendys wife!".

That was pretty funny.

Hey TH, looks to me like you started cocktail hour
a bit early :)

John Galt

Well heck no! Since the wife cant imbibe anymore due to impending child-dom, I'm not allowed to anymore either.

Almost a full month entirely dry. Unmodified reality sucks! :eek: :D

A full month "entirely dry":confused::confused::confused::confused:??

Man, that is way too much reality for me. I would have to take the "Hemingway exit" :)

John Galt

Well heck no! Since the wife cant imbibe anymore due to impending child-dom, I'm not allowed to anymore either.

TH,

No, she's wrong, I looked it up. Since she is not imbibing anymore you have to make it up and Drink twice as much. If you don't, the ecomomy could crumble and put your child's future in danger. :D

Reality is for wimps too weak to deal with drugs and alcohol. :D

I've tried reality...

Believe me, it's overrated. :p

A very good friend told me the other day that he believed "living" was overrated. His theory was that
if there is an afterlife he will make it into heaven. If not,
he'll just be dead and that willl be that. He is a smart
guy and it was not cocktail hour when he said this.
I prefer to think we are all "strutting and fretting our hour upon
the stage" in the end to just fade away like an old soldier or a "poor player". In the vast stream of
history (recorded and otherwise) we are all
insignificant. You better have some money while you
remain here though :)

John Galt

John,
Is your friend in ER or not? If he is, he'd better get himself some projects! seriously, try to help him get involved in something -- kids sports, animals, training/ certifying boy scout merit badges, something because he is sounding pretty depressed and possibly suicidal. If he is working, he probably needs a sabbatical. Or he could just have a really wry sense of humor. Couldn't let this one slide though in case he really needs help.

ESRBob

Hello ESRBob! I don't think my friend is suicidal or
even depressed. I've known him like forever. He is
gainfully employed (farmer) and seems happy with
that. He and his wife seem perfect for each other.
Kids turned out fine; good students, good people.
It's just that he startled me a bit with that. Maybe
it's a real non-issue and I just got blindsided a
little. Sure hope so.

John Galt

New answers for the incessant question:

"I don't."  Presumption is that you're unemployed, and the subject quickly changes or the conversation terminates.  The burden of the decision is on the interrogator, who may just decide to leave you alone now.  Or you may have to read further for other answers...

"At home."  Presumption is that you're (1) unemployed, (2) an at-home parent, (3) a sadly deluded victim of the work-at-home industry, or (4) a combination of the above.  The subject quickly changes or you'll be left alone.  

"I'm an at-home parent."  Conversation quickly darts away from unemployment to the joys of raising children.

"Oh, I spend most of my time surfing or fixing up my house."  See "I don't", but now the conversation can move to surfing or home improvement.

"I'm a writer."  You must not be able to hold a real job, but at least you can hold up your end of the book club.

"I'm taking care of (my wife's parents)(our family investments)(our rental property)."  You're still an unemployed bum, but now you have a purpose in life that's worth discussing.

FWIW, my interrogator eventually brought up the fact that he worked in a shipyard.  I mentioned that I'd been in the Navy, and we had quite an enjoyable conversation about shipyards, our families, and that other eternal question-- "But waddya DO all day?!?".

Hey I like those answers Nords. You must have been asked that alot I take it? I'll try some of those out and see what kind of reaction I get. Thanks.

Ten years ago I got a lot of comments and questions.
Now, it rarely comes up, I assume because I look
like I could be retired. Yesterday my dad said "hey isn't
so-and-so retired?" I said "yeah, about a year now."
Dad says, "He's pretty young." I pointed out that he was in my class in high school. Dad says, "Yeah but he looks a lot younger". Ouch!

John Galt

An old 'friend' tried to reassure me today, said something like: don't worry, you'll find a job soon. Most just don't get it. If I wanted a job I'd stay where I was. I think alot of my peers, my age bracket anyway, assume that the retirement is really unemployment! :mad:
Gotta start using these posted lines instead of my response during the spring (I'm a tax preparer, sorry too busy to do yours, call me next year, I'm taking most of the spring off... even though I had plenty of time ... just lack of motivation)

My parents took a while to accept my ER, especially my
mother. For years she would clip ads for jobs in the paper and send them to me. I don't recall any friends who were unable to "get it", although a few were profoundly shocked.
I think this was partly due to the short interval
between the germination of the idea and harvest time.
Anyway, I've always had a different view of "work"
than most folks. I never worried whether I had a job or not. I think this was due to my outsized ego :)

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom