Join Early Retirement Today

"Where do you work?"
Old 06-14-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"Where do you work?"

New answers for the incessant question:

"I don't." Presumption is that you're unemployed, and the subject quickly changes or the conversation terminates. The burden of the decision is on the interrogator, who may just decide to leave you alone now. Or you may have to read further for other answers...

"At home." Presumption is that you're (1) unemployed, (2) an at-home parent, (3) a sadly deluded victim of the work-at-home industry, or (4) a combination of the above. The subject quickly changes or you'll be left alone.

"I'm an at-home parent." Conversation quickly darts away from unemployment to the joys of raising children.

"Oh, I spend most of my time surfing or fixing up my house." See "I don't", but now the conversation can move to surfing or home improvement.

"I'm a writer." You must not be able to hold a real job, but at least you can hold up your end of the book club.

"I'm taking care of (my wife's parents)(our family investments)(our rental property)." You're still an unemployed bum, but now you have a purpose in life that's worth discussing.

FWIW, my interrogator eventually brought up the fact that he worked in a shipyard. I mentioned that I'd been in the Navy, and we had quite an enjoyable conversation about shipyards, our families, and that other eternal question-- "But waddya DO all day?!?".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Where do you work?"
Old 06-14-2004, 02:30 PM   #2

Quote:
and that other eternal question-- "But waddya DO all day?!?".
I have started answering this one like - "Pursuing my own interests, instead of my former employers' interests"
Old 06-15-2004, 04:18 AM   #3

When I get "the question", I tell them "Whatever I
want!" This is literally true, as I can do
anything I really want. I just can't do everything.

John Galt
Old 06-15-2004, 06:24 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Darn!

After eleven yrs of ER, I don't get asked as much anymore. Sigh --- but I'll keepin mind some of the good zingers posted -- just in case somebody asks.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still working for hopefully a short time longer. I work in a brewery in quality control. At one point I was required to sample two or three brews early in the morning. Did this for a long time and I really don't like beer any more. The morning naps were not what the boss has wanted. Before that I was a fisheries biologist and sampled fish by every imaginable mechanical device possible. I don't like to fish any more. Lesson - don't make your hobby your career.

For early retirement I've preparing my answer and would go something like, "I'm taking some time off to find my inner child."
Old 06-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few weeks ago I was at a luncheon and the news director of the local NBC affiliate came over and sat next to me. He asked me what I did. I told him I was sick of work by age 38, started saving aggressively, learned how to invest, and recently retired at 51. Turns out he wants out too but can't afford to leave. He seemed fascinated by the concept of ER, but had no clue how to even begin; talked about his "financial planner". Anyway, we had a nice visit.

I've had similar encounters and usually find that the other party would bail in a heartbeat if they knew how, or even knew it was possible. Maybe this isn't the norm, but I actually enjoy telling people exactly what I did and why.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:33 AM   #7

Yeah Bob_Smith, I love telling people how I did it, and
it is not to generate envy, I am just fascinated by the process. Of course it comes pretty naturally to me as I love
talking about myself in any venue. You could ask my
wife

John Galt
Old 06-16-2004, 04:59 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My favorite one-liner was, "work? Yeah, work is ok, but I just don't seem to have time for it any more..." (Course then I started studying SWR's and realized I still needed to do a bit of work.)

Good news yesterday -- the company I founded years ago is going public and I'll finally get liquid on those founder shares, so maybe I'll be able to be full time ER after all!

ESRBob
Old 06-16-2004, 05:18 AM   #9

Hello ESR Bob and congrats on "getting liquid" on your
founder shares.

In 1993 when I semiretired, I decided it would be very difficult to sell off my small (private) company as a going
concern. Thus, I dismantled it and sold it off piece by piece. Took me over 2 years, but it worked out quite well.

John Galt
Old 06-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

ESRBob-- what's that stock ticker?  (ntip)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sage post Nords!

At the last party I went to, a 40th birthday for the wifes brother, I told everyone "I'm wendys wife!".

That was pretty funny.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #12

Hey TH, looks to me like you started cocktail hour
a bit early

John Galt
Old 06-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Well heck no! Since the wife cant imbibe anymore due to impending child-dom, I'm not allowed to anymore either.

Almost a full month entirely dry. Unmodified reality sucks!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #14

A full month "entirely dry"??

Man, that is way too much reality for me. I would have to take the "Hemingway exit"

John Galt
Old 06-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Well heck no! Since the wife cant imbibe anymore due to impending child-dom, I'm not allowed to anymore either.
TH,

No, she's wrong, I looked it up. Since she is not imbibing anymore you have to make it up and Drink twice as much. If you don't, the ecomomy could crumble and put your child's future in danger.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Man, that is way too much reality for me. I would have to take the "Hemingway exit"
Mariel or Earnest?

Cut-throat...I tried that. It was a no-go...
Old 06-16-2004, 10:52 PM   #17

Reality is for wimps too weak to deal with drugs and alcohol.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've tried reality...

Believe me, it's overrated. :P
Old 06-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #19

A very good friend told me the other day that he believed "living" was overrated. His theory was that
if there is an afterlife he will make it into heaven. If not,
he'll just be dead and that willl be that. He is a smart
guy and it was not cocktail hour when he said this.
I prefer to think we are all "strutting and fretting our hour upon
the stage" in the end to just fade away like an old soldier or a "poor player". In the vast stream of
history (recorded and otherwise) we are all
insignificant. You better have some money while you
remain here though

John Galt
Old 06-17-2004, 02:14 PM   #20

John,
Is your friend in ER or not? If he is, he'd better get himself some projects! seriously, try to help him get involved in something -- kids sports, animals, training/ certifying boy scout merit badges, something because he is sounding pretty depressed and possibly suicidal. If he is working, he probably needs a sabbatical. Or he could just have a really wry sense of humor. Couldn't let this one slide though in case he really needs help.

ESRBob