Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If you can stand island living, Mayne Island is in the rain shadow of the Malahat and gets 330 days without rain each year. It is on the BC Ferries regular circuit so it is easy to get off island and if you travel Monday-Thursday as a walk-on (or bike), it is free. This means you can go to other Gulf Islands or Victoria/Vancouver.

The biggest problem facing property owners is the deer population. They are protected and they eat all your plants and trees. So you have to build fences to keep them out. Great for kayaking.

Parksville and Qualicum are also in a rain shadow but the prices are a lot higher.
Sequim, Washington in the rain shadow (near Port Angeles) is being pushed for retirement.

My quirky mind (I am lefthanded) would put me nearer the HOH Rain Forest and 12 FEET yes that's feet of rain per year. There's always Forks and Vampire watching or whatever the Chamber of Commerce is pushing to capitalize on the Twilight popularity.

heh heh heh - another ice storm like 07, tornado or a couple of really bad winters 'might' encourage me to move. But not yet.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If you can stand island living, Mayne Island is in the rain shadow of the Malahat and gets 330 days without rain each year. It is on the BC Ferries regular circuit so it is easy to get off island and if you travel Monday-Thursday as a walk-on (or bike), it is free. This means you can go to other Gulf Islands or Victoria/Vancouver.

The biggest problem facing property owners is the deer population. They are protected and they eat all your plants and trees. So you have to build fences to keep them out. Great for kayaking.

Parksville and Qualicum are also in a rain shadow but the prices are a lot higher.
I just looked it up and according to what I read Mayne Isl. gets 157 rain days on average. Not sure where you got the 330 without from. Also 7 days of snow. And the highest average summer temp seems to be a low 62.78F

Parksville and Qualicum, again according to a quick look-up, get less hours of sunshine than Nanaimo.

Not disputing your facts just telling you what I just looked up. The web is wonderful..... at least till Monday...

The Saanich Peninsular seems to have the best all round weather in the Area, but is also not cheap. We could probably stretch a little higher on property but it probably would not to be prudent to do so. We have not had a mortgage for the last 20 years and NEVER want one again. I would rather shovel snow than pay a mortgage. But hopefully we will have to do neither.

SWR
Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Sequim, Washington in the rain shadow (near Port Angeles) is being pushed for retirement.

My quirky mind (I am lefthanded) would put me nearer the HOH Rain Forest and 12 FEET yes that's feet of rain per year. There's always Forks and Vampire watching or whatever the Chamber of Commerce is pushing to capitalize on the Twilight popularity.

heh heh heh - another ice storm like 07, tornado or a couple of really bad winters 'might' encourage me to move. But not yet.
DW and I visited Sequim ~10 yrs ago on a vacation to check out potential retirement places. Our conclusion about Sequim: there is no 'there' there. Port Townsend on the other hand is worth checking out. It's also in the rain shadow of the Olympic mtns, and gets <30" of rain a year.

I have to say that when we visited Victoria, it was so beautiful, we discussed immigrating.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Port Townsend on the other hand is worth checking out.
With friends, (who had a boat), sailed down from Salt Spring to Port Townsend for their Wooden Boat Festival in the mid 1990s........enjoyed walking around up on the hill and looking at the 'original' homes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
and still managed to spend almost half more than a third my life in Caracas, where we originally planned to retire.

Places can change, the great qualities of today may be different 5 years from now. Best keep an open mind and have options.
We spent several years in Caracas in the early 80's. What a wonderful place! The people were very nice, the restaurants and the food in general were absolutely incredible. Also, weather was just about perfect. Too bad the place took sort of a left turn.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #26

We have lived in Albuquerque, Atlanta, and Texas (various places.) We will probably stay where we are unless our daughter's family, with our 5 grandchildren, move far away. If that should ever happen, we would certainly consider moving nearby. Right now they live 90 miles away, which is close enough to see them 3-4 x a month. We all get along really well.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #27
gone traveling

I won't list cities as in most states there were multiple ones:

NY, AZ, CT, MA, TX

We will stay in TX for now, as DD is in school here and DS also works here.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I just looked it up and according to what I read Mayne Isl. gets 157 rain days on average. Not sure where you got the 330 without from. Also 7 days of snow. And the highest average summer temp seems to be a low 62.78F
It was some self promotion from their chamber when we were there. It might have been days with some sunshine but they also claimed that they were officially desert from lack of rain! That will teach me to fact-check! Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I doubt I will ever leave Colorado now that I am here. Since you seem to be allergic to winter weather, I would at least take a trip to Malta. I could have wiled away the rest of my days there if I did not have kids and lots of other attachments in the States.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in Middle Ga. Ga. is easy on taxes, cost of living is decent (for the areas we care about), health care not to bad, etc. We are looking at South Eastern Ga. (St. Mary's area) - keep the benefits of Ga., closer to Florida for the relatives and be closer to the water / shore... The
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I came down here to Florida to finish my degree at U of Miami met my wife here and stayed ever since.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Personally, I doubt I will ever leave Colorado now that I am here. Since you seem to be allergic to winter weather, I would at least take a trip to Malta. I could have wiled away the rest of my days there if I did not have kids and lots of other attachments in the States.
What attracted you to Malta?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
What attracted you to Malta?
I was there on vacation since at the time the Lira was stupidly cheap vs. the USD and I was attracted to the unique culture and the Med climate/lifestyle. We found the lifestyle very much to our liking and the climate was wonderful. I am an avid fisherman when I have time, which Malta offers in spades. And as a history buff with an interest in the Templars and related orders, there was a lot to learn about the Knights of St. John/Knights of Malta. It is sunny 300+ days a year, very cosmopolitan, pretty laid back (especially on Gozo), and for an extremely Catholic place the only place we really had religion pushed at us was when we visited the churches/basilicae/cathedral (fine by me as I am Catholic).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #34

I have lived in different European countries also before coming to the US a few years ago. When I finally retire, I'd like to spend a third of my time in the US where I have a condo, a third in Europe where I have another condo, and the last third in Central America for missionary activities.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Kansas City or Lawrence KS
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #35
Confused about dryer sheets

Kansas City or Lawrence KS

We moved to KC in 2007 from Michigan...and what a surprise! Nice place. Big small town with wonderful restaurants, University of Kansas medical center, lots of sunshine and very friendly people. Great revitalized downtown called Power and Light district...Legends outlet shopping and Kansas Speedway is NASCAR circuit. Best BBQ ever from Jack Stack..try the Crown BBQ rib . Cost of living is reasonable, many new housing developments and brand new shopping areas. It is clean and rush hour is almost non -existent. KC does have winter, and it can be cold...but a 3 hour drive puts you in Arkansas where it is much warmer. This is the place where the "skies are not cloudy all day"... Also University of Kansas is about 30 minutes away if you like to audit classes. I was pretty sure no one would write about KS... Very boring...but only to those that have not lived here.
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #36

I've lived in:

Northern England
London, UK
Boston, MA
Annapolis, MD
Sunnyvale, CA
Boston, MA

My family are in the UK so my ER plans are to move back there to be closer to my mum as she gets older. Other consideration are healthcare, I want access to the NHS as I get older, the lower cost of living and being homesick for the UK.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I've lived in:

Northern England
London, UK
Boston, MA
Annapolis, MD
Sunnyvale, CA
Boston, MA

My family are in the UK so my ER plans are to move back there to be closer to my mum as she gets older. Other consideration are healthcare, I want access to the NHS as I get older, the lower cost of living and being homesick for the UK.
Interesting, the family pull is strong. I am also English born and raised in the London area, but have no intention of moving back. In fact it would have to be on the bottom of my list even for Healthcare (Which is my biggest retirement concern). I do visit on occasion, but the family ties have long departed. Yes I miss the "real" beer . Sense of humour and the general British up beat outlook on life, but I do not miss England as a place to live. America has been very good to us and I would hate to have to leave simply for affordable healthcare. But I may have no choice. Nice to hear someone else has healthcare as a concern.

SWR
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I've lived (most because of military):

WI, several cities, towns, and villages growing up
TX*2
IL*2
NM*3
Northern FL
Denver, CO (Current)
Okinawa

Did a lot of time in Europe and are considering Ireland, France, Italy, and Germany for retirement, but if they don't work out coming back to USA, not much of a sun worshiper, but also done with snow and HOT.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Interesting, the family pull is strong. I am also English born and raised in the London area, but have no intention of moving back. In fact it would have to be on the bottom of my list even for Healthcare (Which is my biggest retirement concern). I do visit on occasion, but the family ties have long departed. Yes I miss the "real" beer . Sense of humour and the general British up beat outlook on life, but I do not miss England as a place to live. America has been very good to us and I would hate to have to leave simply for affordable healthcare. But I may have no choice. Nice to hear someone else has healthcare as a concern.

SWR
I've worked my entire career in the US and I suppose if I was still with my ex-wife or had children I wouldn't be thinking of moving back to the UK. In fact I wouldn't be thinking of ER either as my costs would be so much higher. I have some great friends, and love living in Boston as there's so much to do and no shortage of real beer. I have US citizenship, but in the end I'm not American and like you I miss the British sense of humour and general outlook on life. So given the freedom to live anywhere I'll move back to North Yorkshire, probably Richmond as that's close to my mum and I can make sure she's ok and it has a good cultural life and there's some excellent bike riding on the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Brooklyn, NY
The Bronx, NY
San Antonio TX (while in USAF)
Centralia, IL (USAF)
Springfiled, MA (USAF)
Holyoke, MA (USAF)
Labrador (USAF)