Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Upload them to Google Docs and post a link?

Let's see if this works. Never did this before. The comparison info is all from Sperling's Best Places site and should be current. Some of the other data may be getting a bit old also.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can view it but the columns need to be widened so you can see the headings.

Good start though.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Let's see if this works. Never did this before. The comparison info is all from Sperling's Best Places site and should be current. Some of the other data may be getting a bit old also.

not sure why you don't have Boise as a ski location - we have a really good local ski hill and are "close" to several others, Tamarack, Brundage, SV, etc
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Great work there. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
not sure why you don't have Boise as a ski location - we have a really good local ski hill and are "close" to several others, Tamarack, Brundage, SV, etc
The ski locations I used are for an idea I tossed about here last summer. Considering ski resort towns where we could live in the spring/summer/fall and then rent out to skiers during peak season while we snowbird. I don't think OP is interested in that concept though.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The ski locations I used are for an idea I tossed about here last summer. Considering ski resort towns where we could live in the spring/summer/fall and then rent out to skiers during peak season while we snowbird. I don't think OP is interested in that concept though.
ah - thanks for putting this together BTW - yes Boise is not really a resort town like driggs or mccall

mccall is Boise North btw...
Old 05-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #87

Quote:

Nice, thanks for sharing! Somewhat surprised on the poor air quality in some of those places.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #88

I would NOT recommend anyone retiring in the over-populated towns like Orange County, CA, Oceanside etc. Way too many people, too much traffic, lots of road rage, not my idea of a peace and quiet retirement. I'd much rather live in the hills than the concrete jungles. There are a few decent options in CA that are not the major metropolitan areas though.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
4-5 hours is a serious drive. Plus you have to be there 2 hours before an international flight so 6-8 hours you have to set out?

And where do you leave your car? Long-term parking at SFO out here is $10-15 if not more now. For a 2-week trip, that adds up.

I live closer to SJC, which is an international airport. But there aren't as many direct flights to Europe or Asia as there is out of SFO, so you typically get longer trips and more expensive.

That is also true for domestic flights. No directly flights to NY from SJC so longer flights, often more expensive.

So I fly out of SFO and usually get rides but even if I didn't, I would pay the expense for an hour transfer there instead of a 15-minute drive to SJC.

There's 2 of us so that's a $1,000 saving. If it was much less than that I wouldn't think it was worth it, but that's a pretty serious chunk of change. When I'm retired and I have more time than money then it will definitely be worth it.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #90

Quote:
4-5 hours is a serious drive. Plus you have to be there 2 hours before an international flight so 6-8 hours you have to set out?

And where do you leave your car? Long-term parking at SFO out here is $10-15 if not more now. For a 2-week trip, that adds up.

I live closer to SJC, which is an international airport. But there aren't as many direct flights to Europe or Asia as there is out of SFO, so you typically get longer trips and more expensive.

That is also true for domestic flights. No directly flights to NY from SJC so longer flights, often more expensive.

So I fly out of SFO and usually get rides but even if I didn't, I would pay the expense for an hour transfer there instead of a 15-minute drive to SJC.
At least at Houston and San Antonio, and I suspect other airports if you stay a night in a hotel/motel on each end, they will provide parking while you are gone for a fee. In addition they will deliver you to the terminal when you leave and pick you up when you return and take you to the hotel. Then an early morning flight is no problem. Here is a link to a web site that lists cities that have such an option:Airport Hotels - Park Sleep and Fly Packages | Free Airport Parking That just makes the trip a couple of days longer, which if retired should not be an issue. For example I now live five hours from Houston, and about 7 from DFW, and rather than go thru San Antonio, I would take advantage of the service at IAH, or DFW. (Not that I fly anymore but this does cut the problem of connecting flights). This then extends the circle significantly.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Reno ended up on some list as having bad air quality. Overall, the air quality is good. we do go through times such as forest fires or inversions when it is bad. Since I have asthma I stay inside during those times or wear a special mask.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Reno ended up on some list as having bad air quality. Overall, the air quality is good. we do go through times such as forest fires or inversions when it is bad. Since I have asthma I stay inside during those times or wear a special mask.
we (Boise) sometimes get smoke during fire season and sometimes get inversions during the winter - the rest makes up for it IMO

I suspect Reno and Boise have similar climates. I need to get down there and visit. I'm pretty sure I could retire in Reno.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

We actually are taking an RV trip this summer with a week in Boise and a week by the Salmon River. Reno has a mild 4 seasons. I moved here 20 years ago for work and just love it. I have lived in the Midwest and east Coast before. Nothing compares to here. I am really looking forward to seeing Idaho as everyone says it is very beautiful.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote