Join Early Retirement Today

Where is everybody ??!!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where is everybody ??!!

By running standards, a beautiful morning to go for a run - 35 degrees, sunny, no wind. So, went out for my first weekday run as a retiree.
It actually took a while before I came to the realization that the streets and sidewalks were empty. Only then did I recognize that I am now in a "different world" 'coz seemingly everyone else was - ahem - otherwise busy. It was so blissfully quiet and peaceful and made the run that much more enjoyable.
I think I'm going to like this retirement thing....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're catching on quick

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
By running standards, a beautiful morning to go for a run - 35 degrees, sunny, no wind. So, went out for my first weekday run as a retiree.
It actually took a while before I came to the realization that the streets and sidewalks were empty. Only then did I recognize that I am now in a "different world" 'coz seemingly everyone else was - ahem - otherwise busy. It was so blissfully quiet and peaceful and made the run that much more enjoyable.
Just wait until Saturday when you realize that today is the day to stay home to avoid all the crowds going places...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Just wait until Saturday when you realize that today is the day to stay home to avoid all the crowds going places...
+1

I arrange my errands between 9 and 3 Monday through Friday. I leave the weekends to those other folks...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Mystang:

Just don't get carried away. With the freedom of retirement I upped the miles and at 61 developed a bad case of plantar fasciitis. I struggled with it since last summer, substituted mountain biking for some, and finally went to orthopedist last week to get it professionally looked at. They're hopeful to get it taken care of. Steroids, stretching, ice, etc. Just don't get carried away, and do some stretching before the runs and after. I always rolled my eyes at all those folks stretching, I'd just get out and hit it. No more. Good luck, enjoy....
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here in the Chicago suburbs, we seem to have the opposite situation. The streets, stores, restaurants, etc., are all busy weekdays. Whenever I'm out amongst the throngs, I'm wondering why all these people are out and about instead of inside working and paying taxes to support me.

Oh yeah, the streets, stores, restaurants, etc., are also busy evenings and weekends. But, I'd expect that.

We apparently have a significant chunk of the local population that is not tied up at the salt mine M - F day shift.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

In the Chicago boonies, it's like mystang describes. Very few people out and about - especially today in a snowstorm. But it's usually slow between the am and pm school rush hours on weekdays.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

I agree with youbet. I'm still working, but when I happen to have a day off I'm amazed at how busy the coffeeshops, restaurants, and stores are with working-age people. I think it is interesting how many people set up their one-man/woman shop in coffeehouses these days and work there all day.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post

Revelations 101. Enjoy the freedom.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

You should run in my neighborhood, as there are plently of very attractive stay at home Moms out running
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
You should run in my neighborhood, as there are plently of very attractive stay at home Moms out running

By the way, I should have added to this thread's title, or maybe start another one: "What time is it?" I already noticed my lack of caring about this heretofore all-important issue.