Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My grand-dad had a "shop" in his basement, (It's now my shop in our basement).

I didn't know people still called them "shops".

When he died, I wrote this and thought I'd share:

In Your Shop

Little collars from little dogs
Screws and bolts and countless cogs
Hammers and wrenches hung up on nails
...and labeled and marked should memory fail.

Saws and files and boxes and cutters
Straps and sheeting and all sort of clutter
Locks and hinges from long lost doors
...and two of each of “who knows what for!”

These things you could not throw away
They hold your spirit still today
You’re in the things you wrapped with care
...and in the things no longer there

I stand in what you called your “shop”
Sometimes I stand right there and stop
And watch you, close my eyes until
...I even hear you breathing. Still.
Thanks, marko...

My dad left a similar legacy. Shops and barns have been a family thing for generations, kinda de rigueur in South Louisiana. Grew up working with him in a barn originally built to raise cattle, but used as a workshop long after we'd eaten the last cow. Built almost completely of cypress, it would probably still be standing at the Heat Death of the Universe if the rats hadn't taken up residence. All the tools and parts were moved into the house (it's a sprawling sort of place), and my dad spent his last years just refining the collection. I took a picture of it when home for his funeral:

Two years later, it's all still there. I think it gives Mom some comfort, and it's not in her way. Gives me a little comfort, too....

To the original topic, a shop will be an important part of my time in retirement. Right now, it's one of the fragmented sorts described by a couple of others; woodworking and small mechanical in a corner of the garage, and electronics/model railroading in a corner of the basement. Both need cleaning/sorting/triage, but I figure some manifestation will be a part of every place I live until expiry.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This subject hits home for me. My hobby is old cars, and I need lots of shop space. I currently have not only the 2 car attached garage on my house, but also a 26x48 detached. The detached is my work area, and also tools, car and parts storage. I have thought about what to do for when I move, since I am only at current location because of work. Will move to retirement place, still figuring out exactly where.

I will likely just have the SFH with a bigger detached shop garage. But for OP, one thing to think about is renting a small commercial warehouse type place. Many have a 1/2 bathroom, but no sleeping quarters. They are usually rectangular and several in a row on a property. Used a lot by businesses for storage or a work area, not really set up for a retail sales type location. They have all the electrical you need as far as capacity and circuits. The 1/2 bath gives you a place to clean up or use restroom. No real limits on hours you can work, as most neighbors are gone in evenings and night.

Another concept that some have done is the "warehome", where basically you have a large bldg with living quarters at one end. Won't fly in many areas where zoning is for SFH, so you need to find an area that allows this. Also make sure your wife would go along with it, it does not mean the house portion is unfinished or not nice. But it does mean not having a std house or condo type living situation.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I will likely just have the SFH with a bigger detached shop garage.
When we were looking for a home I quickly dropped the requirement for an existing large shop--there were just not many homes like that on the market. So, we found a house with space on the lot to build one (and zoning/rules that would allow it--might be an issue with the growing number of HOA czarist empires). I'm not under any illusions that we'll ever get our money back for the attached shop, but that's not why we built it. The price was pretty reasonable, really.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
When we were looking for a home I quickly dropped the requirement for an existing large shop--there were just not many homes like that on the market. So, we found a house with space on the lot to build one (and zoning/rules that would allow it--might be an issue with the growing number of HOA czarist empires). I'm not under any illusions that we'll ever get our money back for the attached shop, but that's not why we built it. The price was pretty reasonable, really.
Same thing for me at my current house, looked for something with a big shop and none met our reqts or likes. I built the garage after we moved in to house, confirmed OK for detached shop before purchase. Well, a contractor built the bldg and then I did the work wiring and finishing out the interior. Saved a bit of money doing that labor myself. My shop cost will never be 100% recovered in increased sale price of the lot, but having it right here at home is very nice. It should also help the house sale in future since the shop matches stucco/trim/metal roof styling of the house.

I agree about HOA, to me they are the creation of the devil. My neighborhood does have some restrictions, but detached bldgs are allowed. Most of the rules are for house min size, setbacks, exterior finish/appearance, etc. Fairly mild vs some of the Stepford Wives type HOA neighborhoods where they control everything from the color of your house to the trees you can have. Forget that, not for me

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote