Join Early Retirement Today

Where the next boom will be (4th qtr. 2009 unemployment projections)
Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where the next boom will be (4th qtr. 2009 unemployment projections)

Here are the unemployment projections for 2009 4th Quarter from the Council of Mayors for 350+ cities, so your city should be on or near one of these:USCM -[MI.Report].MEC
(**Scroll to page 9 for the projections. This study just came out this month of January, 2009, so it has up-to-date information.)

So, if California, Florida and other States where retirees and job seekers alike have been flocking for years and years are going to have such horrid unemployment, my question is:

Where do you think the next boom area will be for retirees and those seeking work? Texas? Alabama? Louisiana? New Hampshire? All these States seem to be pretty healthy considering the competition.
Any opinions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Here are the unemployment projections for 2009 4th Quarter from the Council of Mayors for 350+ cities, so your city should be on or near one of these:USCM -[MI.Report].MEC
(**Scroll to page 9 for the projections. This study just came out this month of January, 2009, so it has up-to-date information.)

So, if California, Florida and other States where retirees and job seekers alike have been flocking for years and years are going to have such horrid unemployment, my question is:

Where do you think the next boom area will be for retirees and those seeking work? Texas? Alabama? Louisiana? New Hampshire? All these States seem to be pretty healthy considering the competition.
Any opinions?
Not Louisiana. We have been losing population, rather than gaining it. Will the last one to leave please turn out the lights? The extra work available here is associated with hurricane rebuilding.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Only 5.0% projected unemployment in Northern Alabama for Q4 2009. Things still look pretty good around here. Still seeing "Help Wanted" signs.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - don't know but I saw a lot of windmills going up driving thru Texas last December plus they say oil shale in the Dakota's is drawing wildcatters.

It's fairly quiet in Toganoxie though - and do not tell anyone I mentioned it.

Corn and hogs are not totally in the dumps yet.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #5

Personally, I'm guessing Texas will be the next boomer. Texas has been so romanticized in movies and songs that it's influenced alot of people I think.
Texas is the #2 State for retirees to go right now after Florida, BUT, with Florida in such a disarray and high unemployment coming this year there, I think the Florida for retirement group will slow down alot. Just my guess.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Where do you think the next boom area will be for retirees and those seeking work? ............
Any opinions?
You may be asking about two different areas.

Retiree's (who don't have to work) will continue to go to Florida /California.

Those who need a job will go where their prospects are best. Where is the best pace for orchid growers (just kidding because of your name). People who want have to work will go where the jobs are.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, and Thailand.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #8

Boy! There is so MUCH on the net and on blogs now about how dangerous Mexico is with drug cartels and an economy crashing. I should think that would scare many away until that situation is cleared up.
Haven't heard anything about Costa Rica, Panama or Thailand, but I am sure Akaisha/Billy would know as they visit Thailand alot (I think).
As for Florida or California: You don't think that a crashing economy and high crime will scare away geezers? Interesting. I'll give that one some thought...
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Boy! There is so MUCH on the net and on blogs now about how dangerous Mexico is with drug cartels and an economy crashing. I should think that would scare many away until that situation is cleared up.
You mean discussions like this one in our Travel forum? Kidnappings and Violence in Mexico

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Haven't heard anything about Costa Rica, Panama or Thailand, but I am sure Akaisha/Billy would know as they visit Thailand alot (I think).
As for Florida or California: You don't think that a crashing economy and high crime will scare away geezers? Interesting. I'll give that one some thought...
Thank goodness I tan easily. Put a large sombrero on my head, a bottle of corona in my hand, and some "No, senior" from my mouth, and I can pass for 3rd world.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Anything to do with building infrastructure, it's all we have left. Thus the mexican cement giant Cemex looks good, producers of rebar etc.

As for where, people will still go south and west when they retire, they are down but not out. Prices in the SW are dirt cheap for homes. Once the credit unfreezes retirees will quit their overpriced homes in the NE by selling for less and buying for less in S and SW. Old farts like warm weather.

jug
Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #12

Hmmm...seems the popular opinion here is starting to look like most think that the high unemployment rate will only encourage retirees to go towards the cheap housing in Florida and California if I am reading this right. Guess none of those retirees lived thru the high crime rate Houston had in the early to mid-'80's when it was over 10% and crime was rampant (burglary, theft, robbery, all the fun things).
As for Mexico, read that 200 people have been killed this January alone from drug wars. Glad I'm not in the drug business myself. I do know from the WSJ that heads of policemen are cut off and left where people are finding them. Fun times!