Where to ER in the Caribbean?

hopeisnotaplan

Recycles dryer sheets
I'd like to hear about your experiences or thoughts on which Caribbean island(s) are best for permenant residence in ER. I'm limiting to Caribbean mostly for easy access back to the states and the tropical lifestyle. Consider healthcare, cost of living, economic stability, laws regarding expats and all the other things you may value in a decision like this. I'd also consider the FL keys in the discussion which would eliminate a lot of the expat issues.

I think you have to tell us what you want. Caribbean versus Florida Keys sounds like you are not sure what you are looking for beyond warm weather. British heritage? Or Spanish, French, Dutch?

Ever been to the Keys? Better yet ever been to the Keys with a hurricane headed in?

FIL built their dream home on Marathon Key, look East to the Atlantic, West for the Gulf
Beautiful home in paradise.

Then came hurricane Andrew, while it didn't come ashore there, FIL/MIL were out of the Keys in six months. Seems even with all lanes going North there was nowhere to run to. BIL flew down in a single engine plane to rescue them. He wasn't amused, flying VFR into a hurricane.

I think you have to tell us what you want. Caribbean versus Florida Keys sounds like you are not sure what you are looking for beyond warm weather. British heritage? Or Spanish, French, Dutch?

I didn't say too much about what I wanted because I think it would limit the responses to a more narrow lane. I'm really interested in what those who have lived it or researched the topic in prep for ER find important.

Since you asked though...scuba, golf, great food...ability to at least converse in English without too much trouble. (I'm not asking posters to use these criteria...that's just a little about my lifestyle)

First thing I'd do is check the crime stats, (especially involving expats), on any Caribbean island you might consider relocating to.

I would consider Belize before many of the Caribbean islands, honestly. We have a friend who retired there and has had a good transition. He gets health care on trips home (veteran) but really has a great lifestyle down there.

Belize also offers the chance to drive there (as does all of Mexico, at least half of whose coast is Carribbean) but for English, Key West, Barbados and St Lucia are top of list. There is also the Virgin Islands.

As a speculation, Cuba might be interesting.

Belize also offers the chance to drive there (as does all of Mexico, at least half of whose coast is Carribbean) but for English, Key West, Barbados and St Lucia are top of list. There is also the Virgin Islands.

As a speculation, Cuba might be interesting.

St. John USVI is beautiful, quiet, and basically crime free which is a strike contradiction to the crime ridden sisters of USVI. Rather expensive to own there though. May have to pack you in ice with a heart attack and hope you make to STT hospital in time though as they only have a clinic on island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd like to hear about your experiences or thoughts on which Caribbean island(s) are best for permenant residence in ER. I'm limiting to Caribbean mostly for easy access back to the states and the tropical lifestyle. Consider healthcare, cost of living, economic stability, laws regarding expats and all the other things you may value in a decision like this. I'd also consider the FL keys in the discussion which would eliminate a lot of the expat issues.

Maybe it's just me, but since you are an American citizen I'd favor American territory. Dealing with foreign laws and practices seems like a big deal, especially in the unlikely, but possible case were something goes wrong.

Given that, I'd rank the keys highest simply because of logistics. There something to be said for just having a truck delivery your stuff and supplies to you. Likewise, buying things is so much cheaper and easier on (virtually) the US mainland.

Next I'd choose St John. If it's within your budget you couldn't find a nicer location. The people there are friendly. Crime isn't the problem it is in some other spots. Its beaches are simply amazing. The views are fantastic. If I could afford it, I'd buy a winter house there.

The other USVIs are nice, but not as nice as St John. Crime can be an issue depending on exactly where you are. Beaches and views are still quite spatular.

Porto Rico is a bit of a governmental basket case. This leads to many other problems. Still, it's still the US and if you speak spanish, a less risky spot than many others in the caribbean.

Last edited:
I am not a knowledgeable Carribean guy, but from what I know it seems way overpriced for what you get in terms of quality, safety and lifestyle. When you say you want to be close to the US, do you mean close to Nashville? I would carefully think about how often I was going to visit and how long it really takes me to get to where I want to go. What I mean is that there (hypothetically) might be a daily non-stop from Cartagena to Nashville, and even though it's further, it may not be much more expensive or time-intensive to get there than getting from an expensive local airport in the Carribean with connecting flights.

When I retired I thought I would love the beach lifestyle. But I found that I quickly got bored and decided not to seek that out -- although like most I like living near a beach, I realized it was nothing essential for me personally.

I know these are just my personal opinions that may not apply, but just trying to add some food for thought.

When I retired I thought I would love the beach lifestyle. But I found that I quickly got bored and decided not to seek that out -- although like most I like living near a beach, I realized it was nothing essential for me personally...
Yes we live in PV but not on the beach. The only time we visit the beach for the day is when our holiday friends visit from up north. Besides climate, we would recommend you check out the infrastructure for expat groups that are suitable. This can make a huge difference in how much you like a place. Language becomes secondary when the English-speaking community is large enough.

Check out Las Terrenas in the Dominican Republic. It's very popular with expats from Europe and is starting to be discovered by Americans as well. I have a good friend who bought a condo right on the beach. He lives there 6 months each year and rents it the rest of the time, which supposedly covers all his costs. He's very happy there and talks about it incessantly. We've never been but we'll probably make a trip to stay with him next year.

boat. see them all, stay a while.

We are considering St. Croix and will head back there in fall, 2016 to look for locations. Planning on retiring in mid-2016. Thinking of living in St. Croix 3 months per year and will likely rent. Why St. Croix:

1. It is a US Virgin Island
2. Prices less than St. John
3. It is a Caribbean Island with many of the US amenities.

I've visited virtually every major island in the Caribbean, and there's no better weather in the world.

But I'd be moving to Puerto Rico. Flights to Miami and Atlanta are relatively inexpensive with Southwest Air flying in there. Your present pharmacies and health care providers are probably there. Restaurants you're familiar with on the mainland are also there. It's just a easy place to live.

Although Puerto Rico has large unemployment, I do appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit of their citizens. Give them a canopy and a gas grill and they're running a roadside restaurant. With a large ice cooler and 2 cases of water and they're selling water at stop lights. They'll do anything to make a living.

What tickles me is that just about all young Puerto Ricans speak Spanish and English. Then you run into the families raising their kids in 100% English. And you run into families that don't speak a word of English--even though they're watching Miami television every night.

Puerto Ricans are different from people on the mainland--operating on slow time. I once saw one gentleman stop his car in the middle of a major 4 lane highway and walk into a bank--leaving a long line of cars. It's just quite a unique place. And the inland Puerto Rico is very, very beautiful.

which Caribbean Islands have you visited?

Bamaman, I also like PR. In fact we are heading there Saturday for 5 days (Fajardo). However, I understand given the financial difficulties they are having they have imposed an 11.5% sales tax on many items. Also, they are experiencing substantial population loss which will result in property devaluation. I am sure this will all stabilize in 5-10 years but I would be concerned about buying anything there. At some point this will be a buying opportunity. Don't know when that point will be. One of the things I intend to look at is real estate values. Have been there many times in the past and I am curious where prices are now. Similar issue occurred on St. Croix 3-4 years ago when Exxon/Mobil closed on the island. I think it was the largest employer.

Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, St Croix and St John.
I've been to a few of those places, as well as Costa Rica and PR...and had myself plenty of fantasies about living in a few of them..

I don't think I could pull the trigger on full time residence in a 3rd world country as an expat...

How about you? Any of those places seem like a place you could LIVE, as opposed to visit on a vacation junket?

My son fantasized about living in Hawaii, and tried it and found that living in a place like that is completely different from being on vacation in a place like that. His experience more or less confirmed what I'd thought I'd feel like.

If you're considering one of the smaller islands spend some time in the local grocery and hardware stores. Make sure not only are the products you want are offered but make sure there are adequate quantities. We've found some island have limited supplies of even common household items. And the locals know when the boats come in and are waiting for them.
What about Bonaire? Beautiful island, still a Dutch protectorate, good groceries and supplies, awesome beach diving.

I've been to a few of those places, as well as Costa Rica and PR...and had myself plenty of fantasies about living in a few of them..

I don't think I could pull the trigger on full time residence in a 3rd world country as an expat...

How about you? Any of those places seem like a place you could LIVE, as opposed to visit on a vacation junket?

My son fantasized about living in Hawaii, and tried it and found that living in a place like that is completely different from being on vacation in a place like that. His experience more or less confirmed what I'd thought I'd feel like.

I think we're probably on the same page. If money were no object and I could live part time in the states and extended time in the islands that would be the preferred choice. I'm a couple years out from ER at about 50. Not sure how realistic it'll be to carry the cost of that lifestyle. I have a place in TN and FL now but I also have a nice paycheck coming in. I have some decisions to make on how to work it after ER.

1) Perhaps read Herman Wouk's 1965 novel Don't Stop the Carnival.
Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

2) I recall an episode of Herman's Head where the whole gang visits an island; Herman falls in love with, and ends up buying, a bar.

He soon finds that operating the bar is untenable, and is amazed when the previous owner offers to buy it back, (at a fraction of the price paid)........Herman asks him why he'd do that, since it's impossible to make a living from the bar........the answer was to the effect that "I don't make money by operating the bar, I make money by selling it to, and then buying it back from, people like you".

Perhaps spend a little (extended) time in the islands before making a relocation decision?

I have been told that Belize is the cheapest place to live in the Caribbean.

We have visited San Pedro and Palacentia. It seemed like Spring Break 365 days a year.

Is that what you want? If so, OK.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

2) I recall an episode of Herman's Head where the whole gang visits an island; Herman falls in love with, and ends up buying, a bar.

He soon finds that operating the bar is untenable, and is amazed when the previous owner offers to buy it back, (at a fraction of the price paid)........Herman asks him why he'd do that, since it's impossible to make a living from the bar........the answer was to the effect that "I don't make money by operating the bar, I make money by selling it to, and then buying it back from, people like you".

Perhaps spend a little (extended) time in the islands before making a relocation decision?
Welcome to Belize.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom