Where to find a ER Home?

When I read the desired traits, a song popped into my head.

So wherever Paradise is, you will want to get there before the parking lot goes up.

Good luck on your search. We were fortunate and knew years ago, where our retirement area would be if health etc. allowed.

We thought we knew where we wanted to spend the rest of our lives, but now we aren’t so sure. Our beach community is changing a lot - some positive and some negative changes. We are changing too as we get older. We’re thinking of putting our things in storage, renting out our condo, and renting in some other areas for a while to see if we can find anywhere we like as well or better. If not, we can just move back into our condo.

Yes - the list has some criteria that are not all in sync. And it is difficult to get both of us on the same page. We definitely plan to check out a few places before making the move. I am glad to see that we are not the only one who are going through this process. Thank you everyone for your input.

Not everyone has the same boxes to check. We live in Ventura County, CA. It was 74 here yesterday with blue sky. We live in a +55 park (not for everyone) that has some amenities, i.e. clubhouse, pools.
I have year round citrus, and will be putting in my tomato plants Saturday. We live on our SS (not taxed) and pensions, so are not too hard hit by income taxes here.

Sous, do you own the land your house is on? Some of the parks here have sold the land and people had to remove the homes and find somewhere else to live.

Sous, do you own the land your house is on? Some of the parks here have sold the land and people had to remove the homes and find somewhere else to live.
No, we pay space rent. In CA, if the owner wants to sell the park, we can form an LLC and buy it fom them. We also have a very active lobby to protect us.

NW Phoenix. Anthem, New River, Cave Creek.

It's a dry heat. No where near the humid heat of Texas and Florida.

True - it's a dry heat. But first time I got into my rental car in a parking lot, the "dry heat" blistered my fingers when I touched the steering wheel. I never understood why such areas (high sun load with 105 degree temps for months) do not provide covered parking at malls, shopping centers, etc. Maybe even use these covered places for, oh, I don't know, solar panels? YMMV

NW Phoenix. Anthem, New River, Cave Creek.

It's a dry heat. No where near the humid heat of Texas and Florida.
Interesting. A child of ours has worked in Austin, TX, and in Chandler, AZ. Both locations in parts of the spring and summer. Much prefers Austin's weather. Now, Houston is a different story.

Well, that will limit the options, generally to very high priced real estate areas.

That’s true only if one has a very narrow definition of what temps are “moderate.” If that definition is limited to “Mediterranean” climates, the real estate in the US is mostly very expensive. But, such climates are rare throughout the globe so, I’m not sure that’s a good definition of “moderate.” In this case, the OP’s definition of “moderate” is what counts. If it’s somewhat wider than “Mediterranean” then, the US has a number of lower COL choices with moderate climates, the Southeast being a good place to find many of them.

True - it's a dry heat. But first time I got into my rental car in a parking lot, the "dry heat" blistered my fingers when I touched the steering wheel. I never understood why such areas (high sun load with 105 degree temps for months) do not provide covered parking at malls, shopping centers, etc. Maybe even use these covered places for, oh, I don't know, solar panels? YMMV

Sure, but it gets to 105 in a lot of areas. Most with high humidity too.

You also avoid tornadoes, hurricanes, typhoons, blizzards. You don't avoid some cool weather, some occasional snow. But it is a blip compared to other areas.

You avoid dark/black colored car exteriors and interiors. Use car shades. Heck, I use those in Fargo, ND in the summer. We get to 90, 100 here with humidity. I can burn my fingers here when the sun is blasting.

Just tossing out some ideas. I think there are 0.0 locations that meet all their criteria. A 2 home approach will likely be needed to avoid both heat and cold/snow. Maybe even 3 because the cold can reach everywhere except maybe the Florida Keys. At least for short times.

Another thing to contemplate.... if one spouse hates heat, and the other hates cold, then as Huston55 points out, depending on definitions it may be nearly impossible to find an affordable place that meet these criteria.

But wait!! There's another possible approach. If no climate suits both, then why not instead consider the overall cost of climate control in the potential location? What I mean is, that maybe the couple could look for an affordable area that also has very low heating/cooling costs.

The idea is that if they lived in such a place, they could just use the (very affordable) AC or heat as much as desired when indoors, and when going outside bundle up or shed clothes as needed. Spend lots on warm coats or skimpy swimsuits, for comfort. Also, buy a house with a garage to help keep your car at a reasonable temperature.

OK, I seriously doubt that anybody will like this solution. But it makes sense to me so I thought I'd suggest it.

It would be a lot easier (and cheaper) to find a place that fits your temperature and other requirements for 9 or 10 months of the year. Then, go on a trip for the other couple of months.

I didn't see any mention of adult children by the OP and where they are living (my apologies if I missed it). Sometimes, there is a desire to be living nearby. Maybe not in the same city, but possibly in the same state, or at least a driveable distance away for a visit. In those instances, some serious compromises might be needed.

You don't say either where you live presently or what it is that you like or don't like about it. That may be a good place to start.

We traveled quite a bit all over the US for decades. It was on 2-4 week vacations so never in one spot for very long. But it did give us a flavor of the cities and towns everywhere we traveled. I also made an extensive list of all our priorities for a retirement move and searched for 5-6 years only to realize that we were already living where we wanted with all the items on our list checked off.

We even stayed in our comfortable little home that is in a prime location for us (2 short blocks to the ocean in a desirable town in a desirable neighborhood) even though we could easily have sold it and bought a newer and larger home. We travel instead.

Sometimes you find that you are already home.

Cheers!

I've seen conflict in the lists almost every poster has for the perfect ER spot.A lot of the time two people are making the lists.. you'd be like a dog chasing it's tail using the lists some people make.

I see your point, but disagree. I am also curious about the OP question, and have already found a half dozen leads on this thread to places I had not considered before.

Another thing to contemplate.... if one spouse hates heat, and the other hates cold, then as Huston55 points out, depending on definitions it may be nearly impossible to find an affordable place that meet these criteria.

But wait!! There's another possible approach. If no climate suits both, then why not instead consider the overall cost of climate control in the potential location? What I mean is, that maybe the couple could look for an affordable area that also has very low heating/cooling costs.

The idea is that if they lived in such a place, they could just use the (very affordable) AC or heat as much as desired when indoors, and when going outside bundle up or shed clothes as needed. Spend lots on warm coats or skimpy swimsuits, for comfort. Also, buy a house with a garage to help keep your car at a reasonable temperature.

OK, I seriously doubt that anybody will like this solution. But it makes sense to me so I thought I'd suggest it.

This is what I was thinking except only in one direction. I’d much rather live in a warmer climate and use air conditioning. At least when you go out, you don’t have to shiver, bundle up, whatever. Plus, cold can be down right painful. Find a place that’s nice most of the time and if you’re stuck in the house a couple months of the year, at least they are not the months the freeze you when you go out.

I also agree with a prioritization of the list. We have grown children near us and grandkids very nearby. We’re not moving anytime soon. Some priorities become deal breakers. I wouldn’t make weather a very high priority item especially because as has been mentioned, there are not many perfect weather places on earth, let alone in the US.

Reactions: W2R

It can work. Where we snowbird, if it gets hot/humid, we walk/bike in early morning and spend the PM indoors under a/c. We do the reverse when back home up north in colder weather-wait for the sun to warm us up and walk/bike after noon.

Reactions: W2R
I can’t stand being indoors during the day. I need a place where I can be outside every day, comfortably, from 8am to 5 pm. Daytime temps range between 50 and 90 year round. Low humidity. Mostly sunny. With good hiking and biking trails. Room for a workshop. Not crowded. And with enough amenities to satisfy DW. The best solution that I have found so far is Sedona, Az. DW doesn’t care so much about being outdoors, but her list of amenities can not be found in any place that I would consider. So the standoff continues.

I can’t stand being indoors during the day. I need a place where I can be outside every day, comfortably, from 8am to 5 pm. Daytime temps range between 50 and 90 year round. Low humidity. Mostly sunny. With good hiking and biking trails. Room for a workshop. Not crowded. And with enough amenities to satisfy DW. The best solution that I have found so far is Sedona, Az. DW doesn’t care so much about being outdoors, but her list of amenities can not be found in any place that I would consider. So the standoff continues.

I could have written this. My wife has no interest in outdoors. Cold, heat, doesn't matter in AC or a heated home for her. She "loves" winter, summer, spring, rain, heat, sleet. Indoors they are all beautiful! :)

Yet, we live where being outside is not fun 6-7 months out of the year. :mad:

Someday. Sedona is beautiful. I like the idea of being north of Phoenix, but close enough to enjoy spring training baseball, concerts and other activities.

Warmer than Sedona, but not by much. Close enough for an easy drive to Sedona or the Grand Canyon. :D

I see your point, but disagree. I am also curious about the OP question, and have already found a half dozen leads on this thread to places I had not considered before.

Are you single or a couple? My entire post said they should start talking together and ranking their lists in order of importance, otherwise it could be like a dog chasing it's tail. I'm glad you found new places to look for but doubt one of them will end up being 100% perfect. Sometime perfect is the enemy of the best choice...

This is what I was thinking except only in one direction. I’d much rather live in a warmer climate and use air conditioning. At least when you go out, you don’t have to shiver, bundle up, whatever. Plus, cold can be down right painful. Find a place that’s nice most of the time and if you’re stuck in the house a couple months of the year, at least they are not the months the freeze you when you go out.

I also agree with a prioritization of the list. We have grown children near us and grandkids very nearby. We’re not moving anytime soon. Some priorities become deal breakers. I wouldn’t make weather a very high priority item especially because as has been mentioned, there are not many perfect weather places on earth, let alone in the US.

Exactly, now if you aren't perfectly steady on your feet as you age (worry about footing on icy sidewalks and parking lots) or if you have arthritis ...MN would not be a good choice.

We wandered around for several years hunting a decent place to hunker down. Had a number of conflicting wishes, as OP does. Turned out that a decent country/city, remote/populated, medical care available marker was proximity to a Costco. Weather was a problem. We were in rural Oregon, which has fantastic summers and all kinds of green as well as good people and great views. Kinda say adios to the sun in the fall though and it is soggy. We made an offer in Prescott Az, higher and cooler than Phoenix, but that fell through. Ended up buying a second home in La Quinta Ca, which is run screaming hot in the summer but blue skied and beautiful in the fall through spring. Now we transit between the two places (hah - I just added an "a" by mistake between the "p" and "l") and enjoy fantastic weather year round. Open doors and windows almost all year.
It is a bit of a problem making health insurance work; and we do have the driving back and forth to deal with. Also the stocking and furnishing of an extra place, but it works for us. I've been talking about getting another place in a low/no state tax location, but friends and insurance kinda put the kibosh on that plan. Fun problem to have OP.

Charleston SC. Great city, close to beaches, wonderful healthcare, great college, lots of culture. A bit hot in summer, but mild winters. You get 4 seasons as opposed to FL. Check it out

Charleston SC. Great city, close to beaches, wonderful healthcare, great college, lots of culture. A bit hot in summer, but mild winters. You get 4 seasons as opposed to FL. Check it out

Charleston is very HCOL. More reasonable places to live is Savannah area or Beaufort, SC.

I can’t stand being indoors during the day. I need a place where I can be outside every day, comfortably, from 8am to 5 pm. Daytime temps range between 50 and 90 year round.

50? FIFTY? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....
6978-albums71-picture1763.gif

OK, I guess since you have a tolerance of temperatures throughout a 40 degree range, that is another option (but maybe not for everyone).... :D Now, 60-95 year round sounds better but that pretty much means Hawaii (which is my original home but the cost of living in Hawaii is so high).

Exactly, now if you aren't perfectly steady on your feet as you age (worry about footing on icy sidewalks and parking lots) or if you have arthritis ...MN would not be a good choice.
+1 That would not work for me - - that ice sounds dangerous. I am pretty sure I would slip and fall on it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom