Join Early Retirement Today

Where to golf retire?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where to golf retire?

We sold our business earlier this year. FI and (semi) RE has been achieved.

We've been looking for that perfect house / town to move to. Here is what we are looking for.

1: Somewhere in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas or Missouri
2: Home on or near golf courses (hopefully one membership with at least a couple of courses)
3: Newer home under 350K
4: 1 hours drive to "real" health care options

7 months of looking and kicking tires has lead to a dead end.

Any ideas?
fireorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireorbust View Post
We sold our business earlier this year. FI and (semi) RE has been achieved.

We've been looking for that perfect house / town to move to. Here is what we are looking for.

1: Somewhere in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas or Missouri
2: Home on or near golf courses (hopefully one membership with at least a couple of courses)
3: Newer home under 350K
4: 1 hours drive to "real" health care options

7 months of looking and kicking tires has lead to a dead end.

Any ideas?

You just described Bella Vista, AR

https://bellavistapoa.com/
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I know.

Been there several times and can't find a house. The good ones sell quick.

Also concerned about the POA / Property owner infighting and the flooding issues over the past couple of years.

Rates for golf seem reasonable considering the number of available courses.

Hoping there are other options out there that we haven't discovered yet.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not in the right state, but a hidden golf treasure. In the “Sedona” of Colorado. Great healthcare close, college town, great food, close to Telluride, Ouray, Moab. Lower living costs, for Colorado.
http://redlandsmesa.com
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I suggest.looking into one of The Cooper Communities out of Hot.Springs,.AR. They have substantial golf course properties around Hot Springs and Hardy in Northern Arkansas. They also have a.beautiful lakefront property on the Little Tennessee River in Vonore, Tennessee--south of Knoxville.

Another city with especially great golf is.Crossville, Tennessee. Their biggest development is.a Fairfield Community with numerous courses and clubs.

We live in the Tennessee River at.Muscle Shoals down the street from two Robert.Trent Jones courses that play 8050 yards from the back tees. They are.part.of the Alabama Golf Trail. Another Robert Trent.Jones course is a mile across the lake in sight of our house.

There are just so many golf.communities around.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need to be real careful if buying a golf course property. I had been looking at a place in South Carolina prior to retirement, visited it a couple times and really liked the area. As I got closer to retirement I noticed there were some really good deals on homes for sale in the development. It set off some red flags so researched it some more and found out there were some serious issues with the HOA and many of the homeowners. They did a major renovation to the golf course and ran into financial difficulties because of it causing huge increases in golf and HOA fees. Also changed the membership rules that made it very unappealing for new members to join which made it difficult for current homeowners to sell their homes so home prices dropped drastically. I'd be very leary of moving into any development that had financial ties to a golf course.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireorbust View Post
I know.

Been there several times and can't find a house. The good ones sell quick.
--Numerous empty lots still available. Buy a lot and build your own.

Also concerned about the POA / Property owner infighting and the flooding issues over the past couple of years.--I have owned there for years. Just sold my course side townhouse on contract for deed. No issues with POA. Flooding is an issue IN THE AREA but not for homes built anywhere other than low lying dry creek areas.

Rates for golf seem reasonable considering the number of available courses. --Rates for golf and other amenities are reasonable. The area just south has built up a lot over the past 20 years with Walmart, JB Hunt and Tyson all head quartered near by. Univ of Arkansas just south of there has a ton of things to do.

Hoping there are other options out there that we haven't discovered yet.
I am heading there again in September to play gold and visit my 86 yr old DM.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Monkey Island Oklahoma on the Grand Lake O' the Cherokees or Grove OK are good places to consider. Google 'Shangrila'.

Joplin Mo is 40 minutes away with Freeman and Mercy medical centers.
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Check out lake of the Ozarks area. Lot of good golf and close to decent healthcare.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #10

I realize I am spoiled by good weather living in California but all those places, listed above, have less than ideal weather. Too cold in winter and too humid summer. Any place with California weather without California cost of living?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I realize I am spoiled by good weather living in California but all those places, listed above, have less than ideal weather. Too cold in winter and too humid summer. Any place with California weather without California cost of living?
Portugal....
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
Portugal....
It is on our list for sure.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Check out lake of the Ozarks area. Lot of good golf and close to decent healthcare.
Thanks. This is the only place we have not visited yet (except for Portugal).

We may run over there this weekend.

Played Patricia Island course a couple of weekends ago at Grand Lake, OK. Couple of houses there looked good too...

Just want to explore all possibilities before we pack up and move.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California,_Missouri

Too hot and humid in the summer and too cold in the winter? Stick around, it will change.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for Hot Springs Village AR. I own a townhouse on the lake. It is a gated community so no crowded lakes or golf courses. They have 9 golf courses and 10 lakes. Housing is cheap per sqft and taxes are very low compared to most places.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Not in the right state, but a hidden golf treasure. In the “Sedona” of Colorado. Great healthcare close, college town, great food, close to Telluride, Ouray, Moab. Lower living costs, for Colorado.
http://redlandsmesa.com
I have never heard anyone describe the area around Grand Junction as the 'Sedona of Colorado'. LOL. That gave me a chuckle. It's a place to shop for cars, liquor, and storage sheds. Gas & oil are the main industries, and one out of five people are at or below the poverty level. There's a reason living costs are lower there.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I have never heard anyone describe the area around Grand Junction as the 'Sedona of Colorado'. LOL. That gave me a chuckle. It's a place to shop for cars, liquor, and storage sheds. Gas & oil are the main industries, and one out of five people are at or below the poverty level. There's a reason living costs are lower there.
LOL. You need to get out of dodge once and awhile and expand your mind.

The area was named one of Wine Enthusiast's top 10 world wine destinations.
https://www.winemag.com/top-10-wine-...-colorado-usa/

The Colorado Monument, which backs up to the Redlands Mesa course I linked to is as stunning as Yosemite, but without the crowds.
https://www.nps.gov/colm/index.htm

The farm to table food scene is spectacular with all the fresh fruits and vegetables that come from the Valley. In fact there's a great farmers market in town tonight.

Add in year round outdoor temps and you have a great combination of desert and lush valley to enjoy.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Familiar with the area and all of the above. We 'pass through' the area on our way to other places. Never saw it through the lens you're looking at it with, and can't get past the facts I posted & gritty feel of the place. To each his own.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Where do you live now? Need to be near there for family? When I think of those states except Texas, I think tornados, crappy weather, low income.

If you are a golfer, how about staying where you are and buying a winter condo in Florida. Great weather from November-April. Great golf courses.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Familiar with the area and all of the above. We 'pass through' the area on our way to other places. Never saw it through the lens you're looking at it with, and can't get past the gritty feel of the place. To each his own.
If you don't venture off HWY 50, you're doing a disservice to yourself.
People also confuse Clifton with Grand Junction. That is an armpit. No doubt about it. We avoid driving through it as well. We like to take the roads through the vineyards or south past the monument. Gorgeous.

Your facts are off too. Of top employers in Mesa County, none are oil and gas related.
https://www.gjep.org/resource-center/leading-employers/
As for poverty, you are only overstating it by 25%.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rado/PST045217