where to move within 2hrs of nyc

mathjak107

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
well its coming down to that time where we need to decide where to have our final home in 2-3 years.living in the new york city area we wated to try to live within 2 hours of the kids..our preference is down south but not wanting to live so far away from our children at this point we are looking for some ideas.basically we would like a master community with pool and club house and maintained grounds. i thought we found the perfect area in northampton pennsylvania,until i looked at photos from the last hurricane and thought it was new orleans...being hunters and sportsman i think id have to rule new jersey out as thats worse than new york is in policies..so basically i guess we are down to upstate areas of new york,pennsylvania and connecticut....open to all suggestions

Most areas outside of lower Fairfield County in Connecticut are reasonably priced, that is, considering prices in NYC. Coastal areas in New Haven County have some beautiful beaches, lots of decent restaurants and big box stores. People seem less frantic and friendlier.

There are certain towns throughout the state that are much more expensive than others, e.g., Washington, Kent, Essex, where the median house price is a Fairfield County-type price.

mathjak107 said:
northampton pennsylvania,until i looked at photos from the last hurricane 

I'm a bit confused. I've lived in the Lehigh Valley (Northampton is part of that area) all my life (50+ years). I can count on one hand the number of "hurricanes" we have experienced. I have yet to see any similarities of any of those occasions with N.O. The exception being of course is along the Lehigh River (primarily in the city of Easton) a few times when local roads were under water. Again, that is the exception, not the rule. I won't say that it will not be more prevelent in the future (global warming?) but who knows the future?

rs0460a said:
I'm a bit confused.  I've lived in the Lehigh Valley (Northampton is part of that area) all my life (50+ years).  I can count on one hand the number of "hurricanes" we have experienced.  I have yet to see any similarities of any of those occasions with N.O.  The exception being of course is along the Lehigh River (primarily in the city of Easton) a few times when local roads were under water.  Again, that is the exception, not the rule.  I won't say that it will not be more prevelent in the future (global warming?) but who knows the future?

well i was looking at the forks township website..the fire dept has all these cool pics of all the events and accidents.they have pictures from last april that really bummed me out..they even comment how frost road was closed due to flooding and frost road is the road that leads to the housing area we were looking at..if you know anything about that area im really interested to hear about it.i loved the pics .its called riverview estates......

I agree with rs0460a's comments.  I'm about 15 miles from Forks Township and while I'm not familiar with Riverview I know that the recent flooding in Easton was an abnormality.  I coincidentally read a newspaper last week that a recently completed planning study for Easton concluded that it really is a suburb of New York City and should be developed as such. While I much prefer to travel to NYC, you should realize that Philadelphia is almost exactly the same distance away.

I'd vote for eastern upstate NY. Plenty of woods, mountains and lakes for outdoor activities, and two hours from NYC, and not much farther from Boston. Hurricanes and floodings are not part of our folklore. Thunderstorms get played up a lot because there's not much else, except of course for snow, which has been pretty mild the last few years.

just curious what areas upstate have know master communities for 55+ at this point? even if theyre not 55+ id be interested in checking them out...we are very flexible as to where we go.it should be a fairly lower tax structure though than where we are now in nyc...as well as retireeee friendly

was it easton that flooded that area or did it come from the delaware over by 611?....the blurb in the website said frost road had been closed from 611 on inward because the area flooded....i really like that forks township area from what ive seen on line although we havent gone there yet.i also like bucks county but that area seems very highly priced

Isn't PA high on the list of most expensive places to retire (due to taxes and such)?

mathjak107 said:
should be a fairly lower tax structure though than where we are now in nyc...as well as retireeee friendly

You know that PA dosen't tax distributions on IRA's/401K's?  Also, we have several 55+ communities in "the Valley".

I hate to mention this, since of the massive influx of folks from NY/NJ.  Yes, my home has doubled in value since I built it in '94, but for me it dosen't make much difference (since they will be carrying me out in a box, anyway).

Our area has been mentioned in several retirement books (one being "Retire on Less Than You Think - Fred Brock) and the area is well on its way to becoming "retirement friendly" (our #1 "company" locally is the Lehigh Valley Hosipal Center - a teaching hosipal, and a good "resource" in additional health programs for the "old folk")

- Ron

Florida sounds perfect, 2 hr plane trip and your there. If you would rather drive, enjoy the cold weather.

I plan on moving from NYC area to Florida this year, hot weather here I come.

West of Allentown, PA, Fogelsville, No issues with hurricanes or flooding here. I live on top of a small hill and do not have water problems.  2 hrs from NY which is close enough for me.

job

As far as eastern NYS, I had a country house on a 45 acre property around Liberty NY and sold it for nothing over 7 years ago before real estate boom took off, my timing sucked. But now the prices there have also gone up dramatically so it wont be cheap to buy there.

rs0460a said:
You know that PA dosen't tax distributions on IRA's/401K's?  Also, we have several 55+ communities in "the Valley".
Our area has been mentioned in several retirement books (one being "Retire on Less Than You Think - Fred Brock) and the area is well on its way to becoming "retirement friendly" (our #1 "company" locally is the Lehigh Valley Hosipal Center - a teaching hosipal, and a good "resource" in additional health programs for the "old folk")

That was where the author of "Where will we live when we retire? A guide to continuing care communities" moved.  One of their requirements was to be within 2 hours of NYC.

Brat said:
That was where the author of "Where will we live when we retire? A guide to continuing care communities" moved.  One of their requirements was to be within 2 hours of NYC.

For me, there is no advantage to be close to "the city". For my wife, who goes to NYC several times a year (plays, shopping, XMAS pagents) and being close to Newark (aka "Liberty") Airport for our travels is a plus.

It's like the old Donnie/Marie song (don't remember the sequence) of "city girl / country boy"...

- Ron

Hmmm, almost anywhere in the area you stand the risk of eventually being overwhelmed by the steady pace of development in the region. Having said that, take a look at Ocean County, NJ, especially the western part of the county where it runs into Burlington (?) County (areas near Whiting, etc.). Lots of planned communities, still relatively rural (including hunting, etc.), not that far from NYC (plus you could fly from Philly or Atlantic City), still reasonably priced, and the Pine Barrens are beautiful. I also like Wayne County, PA, but the winters are considerably colder and I am not sure how many planned communities you are likely to find.

mathjak107 said:
just curious what areas upstate have know master communities for 55+ at this point? even if theyre not 55+ id be interested in checking them out...we are very flexible as to where we go.it should be a fairly lower tax structure though than where we are now in nyc...as well as retireeee friendly

I've never looked into it, so can't offer an exact first hand experience. But I can tell you it's a wonderful unplanned community where I am in southern Albany, close to Delmar. It's a very mixed residential community, but more than half over 55. Being just 43 :), I can see how the sidewalks and delis, post office, bank, drugstore, within walking distance make this a very viable place to retire. Unexpectedly, some combination of state/fed resources saw it the same way and made this a newly designated microcosym to design local systems that support retirees staying here. I'm in the geographic area, but I plan to volunteer.

My taxes have hardly changed in 12 years, so I don't say anything when I hear people talk about NY taxes. It depends on where you are, I guess.

kate

My kids (in the DC and Boston areas) love that we live in South Carolina. They come down several times a year and enjoy the beach, warmer fall to spring weather, nature walks & our kayak, absence of traffic, and slow pace of life here. This isn't the same as having Sunday dinner together twice a month, but it works for us. And with my winge-y back, I wouldn't want to walk on icy sidewalks--let alone drive in the snow--any more. Brrr!

another nice development i like is the 4-seasons at farmington pa.
anyone familiar with it?..

astromeria said:
My kids (in the DC and Boston areas) love that we live in South Carolina. They come down several times a year and enjoy the beach, warmer fall to spring weather, nature walks & our kayak, absence of traffic, and slow pace of life here. This isn't the same as having Sunday dinner together twice a month, but it works for us. And with my winge-y back, I wouldn't want to walk on icy sidewalks--let alone drive in the snow--any more. Brrr!

You live in Charleston?

Ha

Charleston County as well. And shhhhh Astromeria, don't tell everyone how awesome it is here or we'll be over-run! :D
But having more early retirees might be a good thing, except they'll take over the public libraries! :D
"Native" Sarah

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom