Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I've heard that Albuquerque is a wonderful place to retire. Lots to do and a reasonable cost of living.
It snowed the last two times I drove through - over Christmas Holidays on my south Sierra Vista, San diego, Vegas.

heh heh heh -

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
@W2R
Yeah, I agree. One really needs to visit areas mutiple times and during different seasons. FYI, based on my multiple visits, I've found that San Diego has only two seasons; warm and pleasant, and warmer and pleasant.

And yet, of all the many places where I have lived, San Diego was my least favorite. I guess I just prefer a smaller town, with lower cost of living and more humidity in the air. That dry air was so hard on my skin. The thread originator might love it, though. Thank goodness we all aren't looking for the same things (or that place would sure be crowded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
It snowed the last two times I drove through - over Christmas Holidays on my south Sierra Vista, San diego, Vegas.

heh heh heh -
Well, maybe it would be too cold for the thread originator, then.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And yet, of all the many places where I have lived, San Diego was my least favorite. I guess I just prefer a smaller town, with lower cost of living and more humidity in the air. That dry air was so hard on my skin. The thread originator might love it, though. Thank goodness we all aren't looking for the same things (or that place would sure be crowded).
Interesting. My wife and I have friends there and have visited multipe times, although never for longer than a week. We've always felt that we wouldn't mind living there (as opposed to L.A., where I don't think we would be very happy).

In any case, we like our small town in Northern California just fine and have no plans to relocate.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Interesting. My wife and I have friends there and have visited multipe times, although never for longer than a week. We've always felt that we wouldn't mind living there (as opposed to L.A., where I don't think we would be very happy).
Perhaps so. Frank and I each independently vetoed the entire state of California when we were thinking of places to retire. (Nothing against California - - between the two of us, we also vetoed probably a dozen other states.) There are other states that interest us more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino
In any case, we like our small town in Northern California just fine and have no plans to relocate.
That is tentatively where we stand with regards to New Orleans. For the present, we have no plans to relocate. However we are leaving the door open and could always change our minds again.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

W2R, I guess if you need humidity for your comfort, you found the right place. Tampa area is probably not much different relative (pardon the pun) to humidity. We do play golf any day we want but always tee off by 8AM and done at noon. About this time every year I start looking forward to October. To me that's what Florida is all about. The great months, October, November, December, (January can be chilly), February March, April and May. At least those are the months I like. This area is considered the sub-tropics whereas my son in Naples is in the tropics and he loves that. To each his own.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Perhaps so. Frank and I each independently vetoed the entire state of California .
Cost of living ?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Cost of living ?
There's one of a million reasons for us! It's a good one, but just scratches the surface. All in all I guess that (having both lived in California), like many others we just happen to find we would much prefer to live someplace else.

Isn't it wonderful that retirees have so many options?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #48

Quote:
And yet, of all the many places where I have lived, San Diego was my least favorite. I guess I just prefer a smaller town, with lower cost of living and more humidity in the air. That dry air was so hard on my skin. .
Wow, I live in the Bay Area but SD would be at the top of my list. DD is in college there.

I've also lived on the East Coast and in the Mountain states and think that I would be ok anywhere BUT

- I give everywhere except coastal California one strike for weather, and
- I give everything east of Denver an additional strike for humid summers

I hate hot, humid summers.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
W2R, I guess if you need humidity for your comfort, you found the right place.
That's for sure! I'm the one who likes the humidity. I'm not sure he does, but he will tolerate it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
Tampa area is probably not much different relative (pardon the pun) to humidity. We do play golf any day we want but always tee off by 8AM and done at noon. About this time every year I start looking forward to October. To me that's what Florida is all about. The great months, October, November, December, (January can be chilly), February March, April and May. At least those are the months I like. This area is considered the sub-tropics whereas my son in Naples is in the tropics and he loves that. To each his own.
October is heavenly here, too. Still, we wouldn't appreciate it nearly as much had we not been through the heat of the summer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Wow, I live in the Bay Area but SD would be at the top of my list. DD is in college there.
That's nice to have her relatively close to you (although I admit that California is a big state).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
I've also lived on the East Coast and in the Mountain states and think that I would be ok anywhere BUT

- I give everywhere except coastal California one strike for weather, and
- I give everything east of Denver an additional strike for humid summers

I hate hot, humid summers.
Great! Then you are in the right place for YOU.... so be happy there! I'll leave you the whole state to enjoy.

Like all states California has some nice aspects, I admit, in this case scenery, wildflowers, and tidepools. It's just not a state that appeals to me overall.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the great suggestions. We will drive to the west coast next month onwards and try out some of these places that you have suggested.

@meekie: Thanks. We will now research San Diego too

@IBWino, @omni550: Portland weather might be a concern but will check it out

@TexasProud: Yes, I should have written that as a criteria, good Public Transportation

@REWahoo: Thanks. Austin is also now high on our list. The last time I visited, wasn't too walkable, but could be that we were in a more suburban location

@FinanceDude: We have never been to Charleston, is it diverse enough? Will look into it

@Lisa99: Thanks for the info on findyourspot.com. Will be spending some time on that. I do look at the Walkability Score, will see how I can find those walkable pockets. I too have found that the Walkable areas end up being unaffordable in an otherwise reasonably priced city

@DblDoc: Somehow we eliminated the Seattle area because of the rain/wet climate, but will research Bellevue

@kcowan: Will be trying some of these places soon enough

@Packman: We would like to manage with one car and only use it occasionally and walk or take public transport most of the time (to enjoy the outdoor/ambiance, get in better shape). Colorado might still be too cold, although a lot better than Chicago.

More to follow.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #52

Without being nasty- I might worry about the Cultural/intellectual diversity of some of the places mentioned- especially compared with Chicago. We have New York friends who took health care jobs on a large metro major health center... Other than the intellectual challenges at work for example at their kids sports games, etc they have to bite their tongues and listen to the enthusiastic blather about some pretty stupid stuff...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #53

Quote:
- I give everywhere except coastal California one strike for weather
Too bad they get TWO strikes for earthquakes...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
@W2R
FYI, based on my multiple visits, I've found that San Diego has only two seasons; warm and pleasant, and warmer and pleasant.
Except for the gray in May and the gloom in June!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #55

Here's a map of the US with a different view of recommended places to live, based on a single attribute. I've been resisting for a couple of days but can't hold back...The Price Of Weed in the US | The Big Picture
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here's a map of the US with a different view of recommended places to live, based on a single attribute. I've been resisting for a couple of days but can't hold back...The Price Of Weed in the US | The Big Picture

Another reason to pick Sarasota ,fl. .Low weed prices !
Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Knew there was a reason some member hangs out on a cool soggy NoCal coastline. Which reminds me to check on the growhouse special sale..
Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Almost every day I'm surprised and delighted by the quality and variety of the education I receive from this forum.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

re Albuquerque wind: The spring (April-May) can be very windy, but the other season make up for it. Right now we have the afternoon monsoon electrical storms, followed by double rainbows. The cloud formations can be stunning too.

There is no perfect place. Everyone has their own list of "can't live with this, can't live without this". For us it was humidity - hate humidity. My hair could never live in Austin, I would be so depressed having flat hair all day long!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit that except for the cost of living and the vast number of people I enjoyed my short time in London and NYC... both had very good cultural things to do, both had great public transportation, both had decent weather most of the time (did not like the winters, but if I was retired I would think about being a snow bird)...

Another place that I visited that seemed nice was Paris (but was never there in the winter).... and Madrid (again, not during winter)... I would think Paris is very very expensive, but Madrid might not be.... to bad I do not know the language... well, thinking about it, most of Europe is cold during the winter... so maybe not a great place...

I have heard that Italy is also a great place, but have not been there so can not comment...

I would also seriously look at Australia and New Zealand... I think either of these would be a great place to stay from what I hear....