Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

To be sure there are indeed bigots everywhere...but one can get a sense of a place by looking at the local scene politically--and you have to decide how you feel living in a place that chooses to have that kind of political leadership. In some places no particular political stripe will be dominant--it will shift back and forth. In others the dominant political atmosphere is quite evident. And it makes no difference whether you personally are a political person or not...it will have an impact on the area's atmosphere and your lifestyle including taxes or even what days the stores are open.
This is not to say one is better or worse--just as with everything different strokes for different folks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
To be sure there are indeed bigots everywhere...but one can get a sense of a place by looking at the local scene politically--and you have to decide how you feel living in a place that chooses to have that kind of political leadership. In some places no particular political stripe will be dominant--it will shift back and forth. In others the dominant political atmosphere is quite evident. And it makes no difference whether you personally are a political person or not...it will have an impact on the area's atmosphere and your lifestyle including taxes or even what days the stores are open.
This is not to say one is better or worse--just as with everything different strokes for different folks.
I'll go one step further and say in my search so far the most interesting urban areas seem to be in states or cities with a long history of liberal majority legislatures. But the best of them are prohibitively expensive for us at least, and almost all of them seem to be in states I'd be afraid to relocate to as their the most fiscally unsound (CA, NY, OR, IL, NJ, MI, AZ, NV, WI, FL, RI, etc.) which can only mean higher taxes/fees and maybe less govt spending/services. I'm starting to think we need to find a crunchy conservative city/state and just visit the interesting areas.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'll go one step further and say in my search so far the most interesting urban areas seem to be in states or cities with a long history of liberal majority legislatures. But the best of them are prohibitively expensive for us at least, and almost all of them seem to be in states I'd be afraid to relocate to as their the most fiscally unsound (CA, NY, OR, IL, NJ, MI, AZ, NV, WI, FL, RI, etc.) which can only mean higher taxes/fees and maybe less govt spending/services. I'm starting to think we need to find a crunchy conservative city/state and just visit the interesting areas.
It's hard to find a state that does not have 2-10 cities and larger towns that would not keep an open-minded person occupied happily for a lifetime. People are not dull; where there are people there is interest, unless of course one's ideas of what is interesting have been formed by travel brochures and magazines.

The one thing to avoid in my opinion would be weather that you hate, and also tight communities that have little inmigration, especially of people in your age group. Pretty ugly to be essentially locked out of the life of your chosen home.

A conservative fiscally sound state with plenty of appealing cities and towns would be Texas, though the recent really bad weather down there might give one pause. Austin is not the only attractive spot in Texas, Dallas and Forth Worth have really appealing areas, as do Houston and San Antonio and El Paso and smaller places with universities, like Denton.

The same is true almost anywhere.

Ha
Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's hard to find a state that does not have 2-10 cities and larger towns that would not keep an open-minded person occupied happily for a lifetime. People are not dull; where there are people there is interest, unless of course one's ideas of what is interesting have been formed by travel brochures and magazines.

The one thing to avoid in my opinion would be weather that you hate, and also tight communities that have little inmigration, especially of people in your age group. Pretty ugly to be essentially locked out of the life of your chosen home.

A conservative fiscally sound state with plenty of appealing cities and towns would be Texas, though the recent really bad weather down there might give one pause. Austin is not the only attractive spot in Texas, Dallas and Forth Worth have really appealing areas, as do Houston and San Antonio and El Paso and smaller places with universities, like Denton.

The same is true almost anywhere.

Ha
Note I said the "best of them." I've lived in San Antonio & Dallas and visited all the others. If not for the weather I'd love to live in Austin, but it's gotten more costly than other cities in Texas. But again, based on my experience there is no city in Texas that can come anywhere near matching New York, San Francisco or even Chicago in terms of culture, restaurants, etc. No contest. And NY, SF & Chicago are already outrageously expensive and in states that seem almost certain to increase taxes even further - I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10 foot pole. But there's more to it than interesting people IMO.

For another example, moderate weather and reasonably COL are factors for us. We are currently focused on Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. To me Chapel Hill is far more appealing than the other two, but Chapel Hill is noticeably more expensive and noticeably more liberal. They seem to correlate to some extent from my research so far, but maybe I'm kidding myself? Believe me, I'm still looking...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Note I said the "best of them." I've lived in San Antonio & Dallas and visited all the others. If not for the weather I'd love to live in Austin, but it's gotten more costly than other cities in Texas. But again, based on my experience there is no city in Texas that can come anywhere near matching New York, San Francisco or even Chicago in terms of culture, restaurants, etc. No contest. And NY, SF & Chicago are already outrageously expensive and in states that seem almost certain to increase taxes even further - I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10 foot pole. But there's more to it than interesting people IMO.

For another example, moderate weather and reasonably COL are factors for us. We are currently focused on Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. To me Chapel Hill is far more appealing than the other two, but Chapel Hill is noticeably more expensive and noticeably more liberal. They seem to correlate to some extent from my research so far, but maybe I'm kidding myself? Believe me, I'm still looking...
And I wanted Uma Thurman, but she wouldn't give me a discount.

Ha
Old 09-18-2011, 03:20 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Midpack, we have friends who live in Wisconsin in the summer, Arkansas in the spring and fall and PV in the winter. It seems they have discovered there is no one place that satisfies them. Eventually they will forego WI when there businesses there are sold.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dunedin, FL

I've been meaning to post and ask forum members what experience or knowledge they have of this location-Dunedin, FL. Seems like this thread is as good a place as any.

It's near Clearwater Beach, Fl on the gulf coast. I've read some very positive things about it but, would be very interested in hearing about first (or second) hand experiences.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I've been meaning to post and ask forum members what experience or knowledge they have of this location-Dunedin, FL. Seems like this thread is as good a place as any.

It's near Clearwater Beach, Fl on the gulf coast. I've read some very positive things about it but, would be very interested in hearing about first (or second) hand experiences.

I have only been to Dunedin a few times but I absolutely love it . Quaint city , great location and lots of gorgeous older homes . It is above Clearwater near Tarpon Springs .The traffic is pretty heavy there but once season comes it's pretty heavy almost anywhere in Florida.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have only been to Dunedin a few times but I absolutely love it . Quaint city , great location and lots of gorgeous older homes . It is above Clearwater near Tarpon Springs .The traffic is pretty heavy there but once season comes it's pretty heavy almost anywhere in Florida.
We stayed there at the Best Western on the water. Very nice. Not as hectic as places further south. The Toronto Blue Jays have their practices there.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds to me as though the Chamber of Commerce has you on retainer...
As opposed to the Hill Country Welcome Committee...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote