Where Travel in Sept & Oct?

ItDontMeanAThing

Full time employment: Posting here.
Where I live Sept and Oct are by far the wettest months. The only place on my personal list of destinations that's not too hot or wet at that time are parts of Japan. I'm looking for suggestions which meet both cost and weather criteria.

I'm a budget traveler who is just fine with staying in guesthouses and assembling meals from markets. I go upscale if the cost of travel allows. Anyway, I'd like to keep it under 100 USD a day, not counting airfare to and from the country.

High temperatures between high 60s and low 80s, night time lows don't matter much. Dryer is better, if it rains then concentrated in # of days or hours per day is better.

I travel mostly for photography and food, so I've found most destinations interesting. Yes to museums, wandering narrow streets, sidewalk cafes, natural wonders (if the walking is less than 3 miles), harbors and coastlines, and stuff that happens / exists there that's like no other. No to festivals, amusement parks, shopping, adventure sports and any place in high season. I don't need suggestions about SE Asia.

I would suggest San Francisco. The weather is warm and dry in September particularly, but it is still very nice in October. The food and scenery are both world class. Budget-wise, you may have to be a bit creative though.

Me too. Lived in the Bay Area my first 39 years and we "played tourist" a lot, especially those months. September is the warmest month of the year in SF and just to the north is harvest time in Napa and Sonoma. Hiking in Point Reyes, Muir Woods, Stinson Beach. Many things to see and do that are inexpensive. Or try walking the Golden Gate Bridge or taking in the view from Coit Tower. A unique view of the bay can be had from Angel island, if you take a ferry from Sausalito. a nice place for a picnic and great walking and hiking.

Hotels are the same there as everywhere. Some expensive, some not. You don't need a car in the city, and parking can be expensive. BART, the trolleys, buses and the cable car will get you anywhere. A car is handy for traveling north (redwoods and wine country) and how expensive can it be to hike in the woods? There's loads of state parks too if you want to camp. Armstrong State Park has redwoods.

If you have time and want to see Giant Sequoias without going to the big southern national parks, take highway 4 east from Martinez to Angels Camp and Calaveras State Park. It's a beautiful low traffic drive. It takes about 4 hrs, you see some if the Sacramento River delta, the Central Valley, the foothills, gold country, then near Angels Camp, Calaveras Big Trees State Park.

The best part: virtually no chance of rain, and the temperature is generally perfect..

Try a color tour in northern Michigan in September.....leaves are gone in October. Traverse City, Michigan has great hotels and restaurants...on the water of one of the great lakes. Check for best weeks, I guarantee you'll love it......we do it every other year.....total relaxation......great place to spend a day sailing on the lake.

Oh, I should mention: 1)I don't have a drivers license so will rely on public transportation, 2) I lived in the US for 54 years so now other cultures and their countries are more appealing for travel.

What about the Mediterranean? Southern Spain, northern Morocco, southern Italy, etc... Temperatures should still be in the 60s/70s in September and October. September would be the drier month though.

Oregon and Washington coasts are very nice in September. October can be a bit dicey.

Same with Colorado mountains.

What about the Mediterranean? Southern Spain, northern Morocco, southern Italy, etc... Temperatures should still be in the 60s/70s in September and October. September would be the drier month though.
Ah, Italy. Sicily beckons (a grandmother was from Sicily). Climate is agreeable, costs ... yikes? I'll look into it, thanks.

Morocco and Spain? We think alike. I've already penciled them in for next April and May. It's the hottest part of the year where I live, a time when many expats head for the home country.

Try Indonesia. In most of Indonesia (the majority of the country which is below the equator) the climate is the exact opposite pattern of Thailand. So the dry months are in the North American summer. It is also the coolest time of year there. It's an easy flight from Thailand.

I live in the Philippines and have never been there but I am thinking of going there with my girlfriend this summer just to get away for awhile during the rainy season.

Indonesia is the fourth most populated country on the planet.

It's a 30 day visa on arrival for US passports.

The Eastern coast of peninsular Malaysia also has the opposite weather pattern, and there are some good beach destinations there, but I don't know much about it except that those areas are pretty conservative with respect to Islam compared to Western peninsular Malaysia.

You mention that you don't drive. With that in mind I recommend Portland and Seattle until mid-October. Both cities have excellent transit and decent public transportation between them - Cascades train and BoltBus.

If you are inclined to include San Francisco fly to SFO.

Ditto Meditteranean. Watch for pickpockets though. Language isn't much of a problem. Did a cruise 4 years ago. Loved Florence, Sorrento, and Santorini the best. Went in July though, due to school schedules. 105-110 degrees. I heard Sept and Oct were much better.

September and October are spring in the Southern Hemisphere. Many years ago I had a wonderful trip to South America in October. Iguazu Falls was particularly impressive in full flood!

Peru & Bolivia, perhaps. The likelihood of rain in Cusco gradually increases from early September onward, but even late October is relatively dry compared to December thru February.

MN? I'm serious :) Those are our best months. The fall colors can be spectacular. Love the north shore at that time.

If you've never been to Oktoberfest in Munich, it should definitely be on your list. September 20 through October 5 this year.

Munich is a great city, and very easy to get around on public transport.

Absent a hurricane, New Orleans usually has great weather in October. The everyday rains stop, the temperature moderates and you usually have great days. If you like old US homes, then there are a number of plantation homes to visit or if wildlife if your thing, the alligators are pretty active before they start to shut down for the winter.

Try Indonesia. In most of Indonesia (the majority of the country which is below the equator) the climate is the exact opposite pattern of Thailand. So the dry months are in the North American summer. It is also the coolest time of year there. It's an easy flight from Thailand.
Indo is on the second tier of my travel list. Wouldn't go in Sept - Oct because of their burning season. Anything west (downwind) of Borneo gets hammered. I blogged about it at Postponed Singapore – Malaysia Trip | Four Letter Nerd

If you've never been to Oktoberfest in Munich, it should definitely be on your list. September 20 through October 5 this year.

Munich is a great city, and very easy to get around on public transport.
Agreed, it's a great destination, though haven't been since 1986. I was lucky to visit with a woman who was born there.

@Meadbh and anethum

Thanks. Some South American countries are on on my travel list and Iguazu falls is on my Bucket List. The flight duration and cost, changing planes in California airports near friends and family I haven't seen since 2008 and wanting to spend a week each in several towns in Latin America to check them out as possible places to live means more than I can fit into 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom