New England 13 7.88%
NY-NJ-PA 9 5.45%
DC-Maryland-Virginia 13 7.88%
Southeast including Louisiana and Florida 19 11.52%
Texas 23 13.94%
All others and non-US 40 24.24%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I always love how distorted people see the country based on where they live. Washington and Oregon get separate selections, while nearly the entire rust belt and midwest are lumped into "Other". Anybody else does this, WA and OR would either be included with CA or if they're lucky, be in Pacific NW. If anyone would remember to include them.

If a NYer did it, you'd probably see New York City, upstate NY, Boston, other New England, Florida, midwest, west coast, other.
Been said before:

New Yorker.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Okay. I put Rockies (including Arizona & New Mexico) because on most days here, in Denver (not today), I can see the Rockies. I can never see Arizona or New Mexico from here, however, unless I am living in my other house... in which I get to see all 50 states (well, except Hawaii).
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Been said before:

Attachment 9198
I suppose there are reasons to live west of the Hudson, but I can't think of any.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What happened to the Midwest in this poll?
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Or like this:
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Some days I'm confused as well.
I didn't see the "state" of confusion listed anywhere. Is that in fly-over country?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
What happened to the Midwest in this poll?
I would have put it, but I am never sure what or where it is; other than it definitely includes Iowa and Illinois.

Choose "other", as it is also other.

Ha
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I suppose there are reasons to live west of the Hudson, but I can't think of any.
I suppose there are reasons to live west of the Rocky Mountains, but I can't think of any.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I am glad so many people are happy where they are. I remember coming out to California from Boston long ago. I drove all the way over several days from a few blocks from Fenway Park to Malibu. I parked and went down to the beach and there were all these lovely blond women in bikinis. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I still think California as it was is close to perfect-California to me means LA beach communities and maybe east to LaBrea, and most of the Bay Area. These really good things were affordable to even a young guy with a so-so income in those days

But although it took a while for me get over pining for all the sun down south, I would never want to leave Seattle now.

Ha
Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cal-NV, them’s gambling words.

Photo Thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6391.jpg (626.3 KB, 7 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Cal-NV, them’s gambling words. !
You a Cal Neva fan too? I am with that place since I first went in the 70s. My Reno spots are Cal Neva and the Eldorado.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I always love how distorted people see the country based on where they live. Washington and Oregon get separate selections, while nearly the entire rust belt and midwest are lumped into "Other". Anybody else does this, WA and OR would either be included with CA or if they're lucky, be in Pacific NW. If anyone would remember to include them.

If a NYer did it, you'd probably see New York City, upstate NY, Boston, other New England, Florida, midwest, west coast, other.
Yeah, I would probably bundle much of northern California, Washington and Oregon into something I vaguely think of as "rainy, not quite Canada, and they grow a lot of weed there." The right hand corner (Maine, et.al.) would be something like "lobsters and maple syrup come from here-land".

So, I guess my map is wrong then.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The map isn't real big, but I don't see the Guadalupe River, the world's most hyped creek. Or Colorado and New Mexico, where all Texans must go to survive summer.

Ha
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You a Cal Neva fan too?....
Borderline! psst, I'm very good at keno. LOL
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #35

Quote:
The map isn't real big, but I don't see the Guadalupe River, the world's most hyped creek. Or Colorado and New Mexico, where all Texans must go to survive summer.
Click on the bar and it gets bigger. The Guadalupe ain't there, but Colorado is there as "Red" (Colorado is somehow transmorgified from Color Rojo Spanish for Red color(ed)). And Nu Messyco is there next to the free-state of El Paso/Juarez.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I see now, much more complete.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I remember going to college "back East" (aka New Jersey) and talking to someone who had spent their entire ~18 years on this planet in and around New York City. They once went "way out west" to Pittsburgh.

2Cor521
(Texan by birth, Idahoan most of my life)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #38

I checked DC-MD-VA since that's where we came from and the WV Panhandle is full of urban refugees from there, although now we try to avoid going anywhere near it.

Being able to drive twenty miles without encountering a traffic light can get one spoiled.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #39

Quote:
I am glad so many people are happy where they are. I remember coming out to California from Boston long ago. I drove all the way over several days from a few blocks from Fenway Park to Malibu. I parked and went down to the beach and there were all these lovely blond women in bikinis. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I still think California as it was is close to perfect-California to me means LA beach communities and maybe east to LaBrea, and most of the Bay Area. These really good things were affordable to even a young guy with a so-so income in those days

But although it took a while for me get over pining for all the sun down south, I would never want to leave Seattle now.

Ha
No kidding. I grew up and went to school in Oregon. In 1979 it was time to find a programming job, which on the West Coast meant Seattle, Silicon Valley, or Los Angeles. Interviews yielded identical offers from all 3 locations, but while the first 2 reminded me of home, Hughes Aircraft put me in a hotel in Manhattan Beach, where I could walk to the beach. 80 degrees in January, lots of bikinis. Very easy choice for a 20 year old.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #40

Ferrol-Covas, Galicia, Spain. Aside from certain parts of USA, I don´t want to live anywhere else as an alternative. What can I do, I am absurdly colonised by you!