Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Southeast including Louisiana and Florida

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • Texas

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • All others and non-US

Votes: 40 24.2%

• Total voters
So far, less than 7%. However, that is larger than it sounds. If our members were distributed equally among the 50 states, then one would expect 2% in each state.
Then again, maybe the people living in the dozen or so states not included here (except for "other" just said screw it and didn't bother voting.

I always love how distorted people see the country based on where they live. Washington and Oregon get separate selections, while nearly the entire rust belt and midwest are lumped into "Other". Anybody else does this, WA and OR would either be included with CA or if they're lucky, be in Pacific NW. If anyone would remember to include them.

If a NYer did it, you'd probably see New York City, upstate NY, Boston, other New England, Florida, midwest, west coast, other.
Yep. Many years ago, when I lived in Ithaca, NY, I was visiting friends and family in Utah (where I now live). A friend commented to me, "Oh, my son also lives back east, in Missouri." :D

So far, less than 7%. However, that is larger than it sounds. If our members were distributed equally among the 50 states, then one would expect 2% in each state.

My addled analytical brain wonders how it would have turned out if we had processed the data on the basis of members/state divided by state population. THAT would be revealing in terms of where we have all ended up. :confused:

I'm guessing it wouldn't come out evenly distributed, but I have no SWAG on the actual distribution we would get.

Another geographical question I always puzzle over is how many of us (me, for instance) made changing states a major part of our retirement plans. I'm guessing that it would be a higher percentage than the general population. The stats I've seen indicate that most people retire in place. I'm guessing that's less true for us but have nothing to back it up.

I'm from RI, lived in Providence and Boston (mostly Providence) for 38 years and have lived in Kansas City, MO for 24 years. Still think of myself as a New England person - but checked "other" since "flyover state" wasn't a choice :D

Culturally it is very different here...

A hint.......

mississippi-map.jpg

One of the two states to which I have never been. Louisiana is the other.

Then again, maybe the people living in the dozen or so states not included here (except for "other" just said screw it and didn't bother voting.

I didn't vote--"other" covers most of the country, so it didn't seem like it would be very helpful to be lumped into it. But it did show Ha the numbers for his area, so it gave him the information he was looking for, so that's good.

Last edited:
Being in the "other" category isn't so bad. About 10 or 15 years ago one of the major atlas makers (I think Rand McNally) brought out a new version and forgot North Dakota. :confused:

I didn't vote--"other" covers most of the country, so it didn't seem like it would be very helpful to be lumped into it. But it did show Ha the numbers for his area, so it gave him the information he was looking for, so that's good.

Well...it wasn't meant to be so speicalized, and actually I don't think it was. I didn't want categories so small that almost no one would be present. And after all, so far California, Nevada, Washington and Oregon are have not many fewer than the entire "other" category- which after all includes the entire world outside of the named states and regions.

Also, I didn't want to answer a million questions- like is Oklahoma Southwest or Plains, or is it part of North Texas? I did have a college roomate from Oklahoma City who seemed to consider it an outer suburb of Dallas.

Anyway, if anyone wants to make another poll with a finer granularity, I will be happy to vote in it. Or even 2 choices- Kansas, and Other.:)

Ha

Anyway, if anyone wants to make another poll with a finer granularity, I will be happy to vote in it. Or even 2 choices- Kansas, and Other.:)
Ha
I might vote on another poll as well, but only if I can have a hissy fit...or two...or three.... :rant:

:LOL:............;)

One of the two states to which I have never been. Louisiana is the other.
My wife and I made a special trip about 4 years ago to North Dakota, for the sole purpose of completing our goal to visit all 50 states. (Landing in airports did not count, not that we ever landed in a ND airport! :))

My wife and I made a special trip about 4 years ago to North Dakota, for the sole purpose of completing our goal to visit all 50 states. (Landing in airports did not count, not that we ever landed in a ND airport! :))

There are airports in ND?

States I haven't been to (yet): Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Not too bad - only missing 8 out of 50.

Audrey

There are airports in ND?
I don't know. But you can drive a motorhome across it, although it might take a while. And watch out for those giant wheat combines on the road!!!!!

I think I saw more pheasants than people, too.

Audrey

States I haven't been to (yet): Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Audrey

I find it interesting sometimes that I have been to more countries than I have been to US states...and I am American.

R

I am missing Alaska, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, North Carolina, and Michigan. (That's 7... I am surprised.) I can, also, include Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands as visited and we have Guam [-]scheduled [/-]penciled in for the next year or so.

I am missing Alaska, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, North Carolina, and Michigan. (That's 7... I am surprised.) I can, also, include Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands as visited and we have Guam [-]scheduled [/-]penciled in for the next year or so.
Don't forget American Samoa!

Audrey

Audrey
Interesting, I've met many well-traveled people who have never been to my home state, Wisconsin. Yet! I've mentioned the guy on the train before; he said he had been to every state in the lower 48. Sometime later he asked where I was from and said, "I've never been there." So now we refer to WI as a foreign county since that guy didn't include it in the 48.

I confess we were following the Lewis and Clark trail along the Missouri River. That took a while!

We have a number of relatives living in ND -- we were both born there. So North Dakota kind of gets short shrift during our frequent visitations.

The Corp of Discovery route, however, is definitely on our TD list. I have an ancestor, John Shields, who was the oldest member (32 years old) of the L&C Expedition. My cousin, Dennis Boyd, is the (teminology may be off a bit) Director of the North Dakota Lewis & Clark Bi-Centennial Commision. I am waiting until all the hoopla dies down before making the journey from St. Louis to the Oregon coast to sign the Descendents Log.

Last edited:
I am waiting until all the hoopla dies down before making the journey from St. Louis to the Oregon coast to sign the Descendents Log.
I admit to being clueless about the celebration. Meriwether Lewis was a distant cousin, so I might have to add signing the log onto my to-do list. Where can I get some more info on that?

The hoopla had already died down in 2007. You shouldn't wait too much longer as I wonder how long they can really afford to maintain those wonderful visitor centers.

Audrey

I admit to being clueless about the celebration. Meriwether Lewis was a distant cousin, so I might have to add signing the log onto my to-do list. Where can I get some more info on that?

Well, that's interesting. I really had no information other than from those extended family members who signed the book. I was told it was at the Visitor Center marking the point where the CoD reached the Pacific Ocean. A Google search gave me sensory overload so... :D

Back
Top Bottom