Texas 23 13.94%
All others and non-US 40 24.24%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
My wife and I made a special trip about 4 years ago to North Dakota, for the sole purpose of completing our goal to visit all 50 states. (Landing in airports did not count, not that we ever landed in a ND airport! )
There are airports in ND?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
At least one big one, with a runway 13,197 feet long. Minot Air Force Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

States I haven't been to (yet): Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Not too bad - only missing 8 out of 50.

Audrey
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't know. But you can drive a motorhome across it, although it might take a while. And watch out for those giant wheat combines on the road!!!!!

I think I saw more pheasants than people, too.

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
States I haven't been to (yet): Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Audrey
I find it interesting sometimes that I have been to more countries than I have been to US states...and I am American.

R
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I am missing Alaska, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, North Carolina, and Michigan. (That's 7... I am surprised.) I can, also, include Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands as visited and we have Guam scheduled penciled in for the next year or so.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But you can drive a motorhome across it, although it might take a while.
You can do it one day, if need be. I couldn't do that with Texas or Montana.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am missing Alaska, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, North Carolina, and Michigan. (That's 7... I am surprised.) I can, also, include Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands as visited and we have Guam scheduled penciled in for the next year or so.
Don't forget American Samoa!

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't forget American Samoa!
Yeah! In my dreams.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can do it one day, if need be. I couldn't do that with Texas or Montana.
I confess we were following the Lewis and Clark trail along the Missouri River. That took a while!

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Audrey
Interesting, I've met many well-traveled people who have never been to my home state, Wisconsin. Yet! I've mentioned the guy on the train before; he said he had been to every state in the lower 48. Sometime later he asked where I was from and said, "I've never been there." So now we refer to WI as a foreign county since that guy didn't include it in the 48.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I confess we were following the Lewis and Clark trail along the Missouri River. That took a while!
We have a number of relatives living in ND -- we were both born there. So North Dakota kind of gets short shrift during our frequent visitations.

The Corp of Discovery route, however, is definitely on our TD list. I have an ancestor, John Shields, who was the oldest member (32 years old) of the L&C Expedition. My cousin, Dennis Boyd, is the (teminology may be off a bit) Director of the North Dakota Lewis & Clark Bi-Centennial Commision. I am waiting until all the hoopla dies down before making the journey from St. Louis to the Oregon coast to sign the Descendents Log.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am waiting until all the hoopla dies down before making the journey from St. Louis to the Oregon coast to sign the Descendents Log.
I admit to being clueless about the celebration. Meriwether Lewis was a distant cousin, so I might have to add signing the log onto my to-do list. Where can I get some more info on that?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

The hoopla had already died down in 2007. You shouldn't wait too much longer as I wonder how long they can really afford to maintain those wonderful visitor centers.

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I admit to being clueless about the celebration. Meriwether Lewis was a distant cousin, so I might have to add signing the log onto my to-do list. Where can I get some more info on that?
Well, that's interesting. I really had no information other than from those extended family members who signed the book. I was told it was at the Visitor Center marking the point where the CoD reached the Pacific Ocean. A Google search gave me sensory overload so...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The hoopla had already died down in 2007. You shouldn't wait too much longer as I wonder how long they can really afford to maintain those wonderful visitor centers.
Yeah... Tempus Fugit. I really have to get a grip on that.