Join Early Retirement Today

Where would your Ideal Retirement Location Be?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where would your Ideal Retirement Location Be?

For us, it is all about the weather, affordable healthcare & availability and reasonably priced housing. We have no direct family (Children etc.), so being near them is not a criterion.

Up to now other than a few other annoying and worrying (for us) US idiosyncrasies, the USA has offered us the best quality of life for all of the above since the ACA was passed. However, "if" affordable and readily available healthcare is taken from us, we will need to choose and alternative location.

We are both Canadians and I am also English, which offer quality affordable Healthcare, but fall very far short of the weather category.

We have been in the USA for over 30 years and certainly call it our home. However with the recent turn of events we have been (or will be) forced to look for a more suitable location.

I have scoured the internet and Equador, Colombia, Portugal, Spain and others do fit the bill.

I was curious if anyone here has experience of this big life decision that they could share, and in addition anyone who is thinking like we are?

We are 63 and 58 respectively and are pretty set in our ways. The idea is daunting just to think about. Year Round Weather is a Big Deal too.

Note: This is NOT a Healthcare thread, please refrain from commenting about it directly, other than if you cannot renew your current level of care in the years to come and what the alternatives (for you) are.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #2

Many pieces to the puzzle as you say yourself. In the end it is a personal decision and nobody else can really judge what's best for you ( and SO, if there is one). Healthcare is obviously important to most people, but for some, it is THE overriding factor ( seems to be the case for you). For others, it may not be #1. Also, some of us have more options than others. You have the choice to go to Canada or even UK (rest of Europe iffyer now). Others are pretty much "stuck" where they are (due to many resasons, including family, citizenship, etc). So, in the end, we'll all have to make our own choices.
All that said, Personally, I too have some choices that I could invoke if push came to shove and I'm thankful for that. However, life goes on for everyone somehow.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #3

Anywhere close to the grandkids.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

There are also places/countries where integration is acceptable & commonplace, and other areas where, try as you might, it will never materialize and you will always be viewed by some/many locals as a 'mark'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

For me its socialized/affordable healthcare, reasonable prices in general, climate (Koppen cfb), low population density, friendliness and decent standards of living. And last but not least: social structure.

That basically narrows it down to NZ, Australia, parts NW-Europe, and a few odd places that tend to be higher up in altitude.

My home country (Belgium) is also in cfb, but has a high population density and I'm not too fond of the culture. But it has my social structure built in.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
For me its socialized/affordable healthcare, reasonable prices in general, climate (Koppen cfb), low population density, friendliness and decent standards of living. And last but not least: social structure.

That basically narrows it down to NZ, Australia, parts NW-Europe, and a few odd places that tend to be higher up in altitude.

My home country (Belgium) is also in cfb, but has a high population density and I'm not too fond of the culture. But it has my social structure built in.
NZ & Australia are a little hard to get into, and do not offer the Healthcare to Non citizens.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We are just about to begin our retirement journey (6-30-17), and plan to remain in NC for the foreseeable future. However,our "contingency planning" includes Mexico (one of several expat regions), and possibly SE Asia. In either case, we have health care covered, so that's not a factor for us. MX keeps us in close proximity to the US; SE Asia is close to DW's home country (ROK).

I have, in the course of my careers, traveled extensively in those regions and have a good grasp of the trade-offs involved. So again, contingency only.

Invoking either plan A or B would be the result of long term portfolio devastation (of a magnitude larger than anything in history - so, unlikely, but not impossible). But, best to have a plan... As Ike said, "Plans are useless, planning is essential."
Old 06-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd have to say I'm already living there. Small mountain town, fantastic recreation and climate, good healthcare and a college. It's one of those places where we often find ourselves asking "why go somewhere else for a vacation?"
Old 06-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I'd have to say I'm already living there. Small mountain town, fantastic recreation and climate, good healthcare and a college. It's one of those places where we often find ourselves asking "why go somewhere else for a vacation?"
We could sat the same, if not but for the potential HealthCare concerns. We lived in Colorado for 3 years and the winters, even though better than some got to us, we do not ski.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #10

We're there... Love the town, love the people, love our home and Liberty Village. 100 yards away from whatever we may eventually need...
apartments, assisted living, bounceback rehab, nursing home... all part of the complex.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #11

I like mountains, but don't like winter. I like to be outdoors. I don't think I can handle extreme heat for 2-3 months. So I'm having a hard time finding a single location. But so far, Sedona Az is as close as it gets to ideal for me. But too far away from a city for DW.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Anywhere close to the grandkids.
+1
Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #13

I did forget to add that I like being 1 mile from the Ocean.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #14

If money were no object, we would continue living in the home we have now at the beach but maintain a second home on the Big Island. We would head to the Big Island whenever the weather was less than ideal here, or whenever the crowds overwhelm us, like on the weekends in summer.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stuck in NY because wife won't leave as long as her parents are alive and kicking but eventually anywhere from South Carolina to North Florida direct ocean front will be my destination. Health care, ACA or not is of no concern to me.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Someplace where I can walk to my own boathouse on keel-deep water.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Someplace where I can walk to my own boathouse on keel-deep water.
Palm Coast Florida.....

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...22_rect/14_zm/
Old 06-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are pockets of milder climate in Canada, such as the Okanagan Valley, where I live. If you stay away from the major population centres it is possible to find cheaper housing.

"Like much of Southern British Columbia, the Okanagan receives a mild climate, although the Okanagan is considerably drier than many other areas. It is located roughly between the temperate rainforests of coastal British Columbia, and the world's only temperate forest inland, on the western slopes of the Columbia mountains. Most of the Okanagan lies within the rain shadow of the Cascade Mountains to the southwest. Areas in the north end of the valley receive more precipitation and cooler temperatures than areas to the south. Generally, Kelowna is the transition zone between the drier south and the wetter north. Vegetation also ranges from cactus and sagebrush in the south, to Cedar and Hemlock trees in the North. The Okanagan Valley receives hot summers and moderately cold winters, although the latter are extremely mild by Canadian standards; south of and including the city of Kelowna, no month of the year has an average high temperature that is below freezing (0°C). Areas near Osoyoos and Oliver claim to be Canada's only desert, though they are really shrub-steppe and only semi-arid, and other parts of BC have similar climates and vegetation. Daytime highs in that region occasionally surpass 40 °C in the summer months.

Between 2000BC and 1900AD, the climate and vegetation of the Okanagan had changed little. However, historical records from the Pacific Agrifood Research Station in Summerland indicate that the Okanagan climate had warmed by about 1°C between 1908 and 1994."

- Wikipedia
Old 06-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I dream of moving to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. My DH however.....not so much.

Beautiful housing at great prices, although that is fast changing with all the retired expats moving there. I love the artsy culture of the area, the food, the lifestyle, and the reasonable cost health care. Plus, becoming a citizen is not difficult. If I were single that's where I would head. But I would choose DH a million times over being without him.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We already live there. Safe in the crook of the elbow of the strong right arm of Massachusetts. For three months we share our area with delighted summer people, then it all reverts back to us and our wonderful neighbors. We're just off mile 9 of the 22 mile rail trail bike path, so you can go by the cranberry bogs into Harwich and Dennis, or head off through Orleans to Eastham and Wellfleet. Just back from the new farmer's market by the windmill in Drummer Boy Park, then a trip to Hopkins House bakery with its lovely period front garden for something to bring to the book club meeting tonight.

Life just doesn't get better than this. We are content.