Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
do you have indoor plumbing?
Yep, when it rains...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, when it rains...

my wife's Texarkana branch didn't have it indoors for a good long while - Wife is gearing up while I hunker down for 2 bathroom remodels...life was so much simpler and cheaper in them old days...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for the original post since it turned into a property tax debate for a few states/cities...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Sorry for the original post since it turned into a property tax debate for a few states/cities...
Never apologize for the forum's ability to hijack one of your threads - it happens almost every time...
Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

my wife's Texarkana branch didn't have it indoors for a good long while - Wife is gearing up while I hunker down for 2 bathroom remodels...life was so much simpler and cheaper in them old days...
If I ever have to redo the kitchen again, we will start living in the camper in the driveway while the "magic" happens. What a mess...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #26

I've always heard living in a house while you're remodeling ranks right up there with divorce in terms of stress levels.

Hmmmm. Wonder if remodeling contractors could make some money on the side selling client lists to divorce lawyers...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Back OT, my property tax is about 1.9%, sales tax is 8.25%, and income tax is 0%. DFW, TX suburbs...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Back OT....
The nerve of some people...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If I ever have to redo the kitchen again, we will start living in the camper in the driveway while the "magic" happens. What a mess...
Amen. The controlled chaos around here tipped out of the control band yesterday and my wheels came off for about an hour. Everything that used to be in my kitchen cabinets is spread all over the house, my kitchen is still a war zone, and my yard is strewn with little islands of sand, stucco mix and color coat.

I didnt see a date on the OP's report, but it must be old. The median Sacramento home value is listed at ~165k and its closer to $275k right now even after the pull back in prices.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I didnt see a date on the OP's report, but it must be old. The median Sacramento home value is listed at ~165k and its closer to $275k right now even after the pull back in prices.
Quote:
Sperling's Best Places, an online service that lets you compare cities by climate, cost of living, crime rate, and access to cultural and leisure activities, compiled a list of median sale prices for a 2,000-square-foot home sold last year in each of the 51 cities.
Sperling is clearly not one of the "best places" to get this data, and apparently Kiplinger's is living up to their usual standards. A 2000 sq ft home in Honolulu would sell for at least twice this "estimate", pushing 3x in some neighborhoods, and it's well documented by state resale data that the median single-family home price has been north of $600K for at least two years.

It bothers me that the study quotes sales tax in $$ instead of percent without reassuring readers that they've accounted for wildly varying costs of living in all their areas. For example Honolulu's "sales tax" is actually a regressive 4.5% excise tax and the cost of living is roughly estimated to be 20-30% higher than most Mainland cities of comparable size.

If we can spend five minutes machine-gunning holes in their data from across the nation, what does that imply about the study's overall quality?

I haven't seen a good "tax-friendly states" ranking since Bloomberg Media ditched their "Wealth Management" magazine. It's been at least two or three years now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #31

Midpack: This comes courtesy of Want2retire some months ago:

http://www.jpaulknight.com/investing/wealthfriendly.pdf
Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I haven't seen a good "tax-friendly states" ranking since Bloomberg Media ditched their "Wealth Management" magazine. It's been at least two or three years now.
I don't really think you could do a "good" and relatively accurate one unless it accounted for a lot of different lifestyles and personal situations. In particular I see a function of three primary inputs:

* Higher income or lower income?
* Big/expensive house, small/cheap house or renter?
* Spendy or very thrifty/LBYM?

There are some other minor variables, such as how pension income is treated, how investment income is treated, how personal property is treated and what senior tax breaks may exist state by state. But IMO, these top three are the big ones.

A state which might be good for retirees with *one* set of inputs from these three variables may be a terrible choice with a different set.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #33

Here's the original 2003 article - it is out of date which explains the wrong data I hope.
Where You Stay = What You Pay - Kiplinger.com
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote