Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Who does NOT want to travel after FIRE?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad I read this thread. I was beginning to think I couldn't retire unless I had an insatiable appetite for travel. The fact is my wife and I are homebodies and we are okay with that. I look forward to sitting on my deck, drinking good wine, grilling and tending to my fruit trees. In the afternoon I'll probably even read something now and then.

setab

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey stop it, this thread is wierding me out

I want to travel. Maybe get a boat and go around the world. Or go live on a canal boat in England. Or change countries each year. Travel, travel, travel.

Now the problem is....my wife. She initially agreed with me but with the arrival of our first grandchild she suddenly wants to move nearby our older son and not be gone for too long periods of time. Its this sudden change that gets me.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #23

Conditions under which I would enjoy traveling:

Warm weather
Good fishing/boating
Good friends
Good sex
Someone else is paying

Otherwise, forget it. I'd rather stay home.

JG
Old 12-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #24

I love to travel and believe that's one of the goals of retiring. That said, I do agree with the sentiments of some here, i.e. that once you've seen a museum or two, that's enough. You can gee whiz historical stuff or unique places, but after a day or two it gets old. I think the idea is to be a real traveler, not a tourist. Those, like the Terhorsts and Billy and Akaisha, have the correct idea. Stay awhile. Take it easy. When you're retired, there is no rush. Oh, and travel does make your home seem nicer, once you return.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #25

I love traveling, but I have to say after just returning from a ski trip in Canada, I really hate using the airlines - I feel so invaded after practically stripping down for them and having someone rifle through my bag. Being treated like a criminal every time gets really old after awhile.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Hey stop it, this thread is wierding me out*

I want to travel. Maybe get a boat and go around the world. Or go live on a canal boat in England. Or change countries each year. Travel, travel, travel.
Yeah, me too!

I love to travel. One of the main reasons I want to RE is to travel. But, as Eagle said, I want to be like Billy and Akaisha

I don't want to "be on vacation" or be a tourist, going to touristy sites and museums all the time. I just want to find an interesting town or city, rent a room or apartment, and get to know the place and the people, and just experience what it's like to live somewhere else.

Everywhere I go I imagine, what would it be like to live here? I think my perfect lifestyle will be living at home in the PNW for the summer and exploring new places the other six eleven months of the year.

I'm sure we will become more homebodies as we age, that's why I feel such a sense of urgency to get out there and FIRE before it's too late - I've already lost some of the enthusiasm I used to have for tents and sleeping bags....
Old 12-21-2005, 07:51 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Conditions under which I would enjoy traveling:

Good sex
Someone else is paying
JG
Oh really?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Or maybe a Florida or Mississippi summer would do the same thing.
Can be described by saying - "Whew, I just walked out and got the mail. Time for a shower."

Quote:
Good sex
Someone else is paying
Someone else paying for the good sex?

As a few others pointed out, I love to travel but the airlines suck. Being kind of tall I get restless after an hour or so. I just can't get comfortable lodged in a tiny space. If I didn't want to travel anymore I would live close to my favorite US travel spot. Couple hours in the car and I would get to experience my ideal vacation whenever I felt the urge 8)
Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #29

I plan to try perpetual travelling around various parts of the world. The physical wear and tear of travelling should be minimal when you find a place and settle in for several months or longer. Don't know if I'll like it at my age but I'm going to give it a try.

MJ
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Sounds like you might need to move to either a small town in rural America or to a sleepy country in the EU.
Either one sounds nice. But not too soon, and not for too long.
Someday (maybe), and for under a year, unless it really works out.
No rush. 8) (closest icon to lazy)
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Spouse and I love to travel and looking forward to doing more in retirement. We also like doing things at a slower pace - most of our trips have been at least 4 weeks and could have easily stretched out to 3 times that amount if we had the time. Currently here on the beach in Goa for 3-4 days. If we were already retired and this wasn't the high season we would stay for a month or two. Decent rooms in the off season go for $10/night and a fantastic seafood dinner(with beer) adds up to about $6 for two people.

The appeal of travel for us are seeing new places, eating new foods, and meeting interesting people. We've liked at least half the places we have lived (including our current location in Japan), but just aren't homebodies. I also like the simplified living that comes from not having many bills to pay, car/home to maintain, and stuff accumulating around us - the PT lifestyle will probably suit us fine for at least a few years after retirement. But who knows, priorities do change sometimes.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #32

We love to travel to see new places, try new food, learn about the culture, interact with the locals. I really enjoy the Amazing Race TV show and hope that I can be in the show or travel to those places.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:32 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
Spouse and I love to travel and looking forward to doing more in retirement.* We also like doing things at a slower pace - most of our trips have been at least 4 weeks and could have easily stretched out to 3 times that amount if we had the time.* Currently here on the beach in Goa for 3-4 days.* If we were already retired and this wasn't the high season we would stay for a month or two.* Decent rooms in the off season go for $10/night and a fantastic seafood dinner(with beer) adds up to about $6 for two people.*
FlowGirl,

You guys are in Goa? Cool, it's on my travel list as well.

Can you tell us (or PM Lance) more about Goa?!?

Merry Christmas!

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #34

FlowGirl,
Me too.* If you're not going to post, please PM about Goa.* $10 a nite?* Now that's a bargain.* Eagle likes bargains.*
Thanks

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Currently here on the beach in Goa for 3-4 days. If we were already retired and this wasn't the high season we would stay for a month or two. Decent rooms in the off season go for $10/night and a fantastic seafood dinner(with beer) adds up to about $6 for two people.
Wow - Goa (as everywhere elese) changes.
I was in Goa in '95 and 3 person hotel room room was around 110 rupees ( at 35 rupees to a USD this was around $3), a decent meal for a person was about 40 rupees ( ~ 1.10 USD ).
Have you tried local alcohol made from coconuts? It has a good kick.
What we didn't like in Goa was a multitude of peddlers - Goa/Panaji is considered a very touristy place in India. We were there also little "off season" - just after the monsoons in October.
How is it there now?

sailor
Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy some travel, and there's plenty of the USA and the "world" I haven't seen. Guess it'll depend on the size of the port...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Goa is great! We flew in from Delhi, and spent 2 nights in the state capital city of Panjim which was really delightful. *There's some great European style architecture there and its fun just to stroll around. * The best meals we've had in India so far have been in Panjim and I can give you some specific reccomendations if you need them. *On our second day in the city we rented bicycles (about 15 cents per hour) and rode them out along a scenic 9 km stretch out to the ruins of the Portugese Old Goa. *Really amazing - lots of well preserved cathedrals that rival some of the smaller cities in Europe. *

On the 3rd day we hopped a city bus (25 cents each) up to the beach area of Calangute where we are chilling out in a private cottage near the beach. *Again, the food has been excellent and cheap. *A large Kingfisher beer which serves up two glasses costs about a dollar, and main courses average $1-$3. *This area is bustling with tourists, but not nearly as many as I expected - some of the other beach areas are more secluded, but I think more expensive.

There are some pandhandlers here but they are not that aggressive. * *It is not nearly as bad as we experienced in the touristy parts of Delhi and Agra. You will get asked for a taxi or to look in a local shop frequently while walking down the street, but they only ask once - very friendly. It is India however, so if you're not used to third world travel be prepared for some dirt and poverty. *The beaches, however are suprisingly spotless and the streets are much cleaner than anywhere else we've seen in the country. *The weather is warm and the atmosphere is very relazed - I highly recommend it.

The only downside is that we are here at the highest part of the high season so paying about triple-quadruple the standard room rate (we paid about $20 in Panjim and $40 for our beach cottage). *Avoid the two weeks around Christmas and you can cut this rate in half, more if you go in the off season. *Our rooms in both places have been really nice, clean, quiet, doubles with private bath. *You can probably find cheaper if you're going solo and willing to share a bathroom.

If you have any more specific questions just let me know. *We're heading up to Mumbai tomorrow on a sleeper train and further north from there. *Goa has been a great place to restore our energy for the rest of the trip.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

DW just *loves* to travel. *I'm sort of indifferent to reluctant unless it involves a specific interest or hobby. *Nature is wonderful, but most cities strike me as things to avoid *:P *The process of getting to some distant land is not very enjoyable, and often not worth the cost just to see/hear/eat different objects. I know that sounds a little harsh to some people.

This attitude is a good thing for ER finances...give me a good book and glass of red by the fire over the airport any day. *DW already knows that I won't be a constant travel companion and is OK with that. *
Old 12-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #39

I have a solution for all you people hating airports.
How about a nice liveaboard sailboat?
When you are FIREd, you are not in a hurry, aren't you?

In years to come we plan to travel in our own sailboat.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #40

Quote:
If you have any more specific questions just let me know. *We're heading up to Mumbai tomorrow on a sleeper train and further north from there. *Goa has been a great place to restore our energy for the rest of the trip.
Great info FlowGirl! I love train travel-great scenary and a good way to meet people.

In Goa, do you have any guest house/hotel recommendations?

How long will you be in India?

Please continue with your travel adventures!

Lance

(It's a cool 60F in Bangkok tonight...)

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote