Who does NOT want to travel after FIRE?

I travelled a lot when working and was sick and tired of that too. When FIREd I on purpose makes my travelling"simpler". First of all by chosing to live in a place (Thailand) I like (and often travelled to on holiday before). Also I travel more to meet people/friends/family and less to "see new places" as I have already seen so many fantastic places - but realized that friends/family was more important (to me!).
Things I liked to do when I went on holiday before is all here (diving/beach/party/sports and hanging out in the sun) except for snow skiing...

I also simplified my travel by living in a city that is an airport hub in Asia (and a car ride away from the beach). I hate connecting flights.

I was already a master-packer and now even trips to Scandinavian home country requires only the carry-on and the laptop bag. No check-in luggage. I left a few things there (winter jacket Etc.). Oh, I rarely go back ni the winter anyway 8) .

So to many peoples surprise I am not that fond of travelling a lot anymore.

Cheers!

Somehow, after retirement, all desire for international travel went away. I guess it's the total hassle of the process.

But we traveled North American quite extensively for a couple of years. We thought that would get it "out of our system".

That didn't WORK! Our wanderlust just increased. Went on lots of "group" trips. That just made us want to do more of it but on our own.

And our wanderlust has increased every year it seems....

Finally in 2005 we totally gave in and made our life 100% about travel - selling our house and moving into a motorhome.

BTW - we haven't actually flown anywhere since Xmas of 2003 with the one exception of one trip to washington to tour the factory that builds our motorhome. Flying anywhere stinks BIG TIME.

What's great about traveling in your own RV is that you get to sleep in your own bed and have your own stuff, and travel at a wonderful leisurely pace, and still enjoy all the perks of exploring a new area. Plus you get to chase good weather.

OK - so I'm firmly in the camp that did want to travel after retirement - and STILL not tired of it. We just love being gypsies.

Audrey

My wife and I worried about dieing before we got a chance to see everything we wanted to see. So we made a list of places we wanted to see and did it while we were physically fit. We made 67 countries and had a blast.

So when we retire we planned to see the USA. It's cheaper and your closer to good hospitals.

I wont say we will not travel but I have so many ways I could spend that money, kind of makes me think.

But never plan to do something you really want to when you retire, do it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would I leave?

http://www.thebluemountains.ca/index.cfm

The dam shown is actually a very sophisticated Fish Ladder, spawning season we get 40 pound plus salmon running through it, or when they run, 10 pound plus Trout.

Neat little pub in town for Scotch Afficianados, over 100 differant Brands.

Back
Top Bottom