Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Who does NOT want to travel after FIRE?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:33 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks, FlowGirl. How about crime, like maybe pickpockets. I like the cost of the bikes; probably could afford them.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those who don't like travel for work, I'm in that camp too. Early on in my career had to work on the road, airport, hotel check in, depositions all day/trial all day, back to the hotel room or local counsel's office, prepare for the next day, out for a drink/dinner, sleep (but not too well), back to work the next morning.....
not much fun.

OTOH, travel to a different place than home, different people, different lifestyle, different food, hopefully some natural beauty, and a chance to slooooow down, I will do. Don't like the getting there, just the being there part.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #43

I'm at the point where we can afford to go on a nice little trip to somewhere like Asia or Hawaii, but I don't think we can spend more than a week or so at either of these places. With a one-way flight, we're looking at around 1 day travel time to either place. Which means 5 days of relaxation, and 2 hectic unfun travel days (minimum). I think we'll hold off till we can fit in multiple weeks or do Hawaii on a cruise or something. Sitting on a cramped plane for hours, then waiting hours on a layover, rinse, repeat is not fun.

I do love to travel though. I like buses and trains better, since you get to see some scenery. I may be a little bit "slower" than the norm.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #44

When I travel, I wish I was home wishing I was traveling.

Traveling: when things that are normally cheap or free cost a lot.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #45

My Wife would be asked where I was, her answer, not sure, up there somewhere.

My address for almost 20 years, Seat 1A.

I have had it with airports, flight delays, mecahanical problems, I have been to most places, not too many I want to go back to, and I hate taking off my shoes at Security.

My most favourite city is London, most favourite area, the Costwolds near the Wesh Border.

Probably will go to China in the Spring, need to see our Son whom we haven't seen for almost 2 years.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to love to travel found it exciting, thrilling etc.
Now I dread travel, air travel is such a hassel, from ticketing to security; not to forget lost baggage and rude employees. I enjoyed travel by motor home better than air travel. I liked having my own nest to use every night. However, even with motor homes I have had to endure rude service people lost reservations and rude, inconciderate fellow campers.
I think I will stay home; travel to see the grandchildren every year and have them visit me every year. Not perfect but not bad either.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Great info FlowGirl! I love train travel-great scenary and a good way to meet people.

In Goa, do you have any guest house/hotel recommendations?

How long will you be in India?

Please continue with your travel adventures!

Lance

(It's a cool 60F in Bangkok tonight...)
We're spending about 4 weeks in India. We started from Delhi, spent a few days there then went to Agra for two days before flying to Goa. From here we are working our way back up north - planning to spend at least two weeks in Rajasthan before going back to Delhi to fly home.

In Goa I highly recommend the Hotel Mayfair in Panjim and Coco Bananna in Calangute. These are both on the upper end of the budget category, so you can probably do a lot better if you hunt around for a deal - but both very nice. In Agra the Hotel Sheela was great - a good clean room around a secluded courtyard for $10 and right outside the east gate of the Taj Mahal. I would not recommend the places we stayed in Delhi - both were pretty grotty (but extremely cheap!). We stayed in the backpacker ghetto - kind of like Kao San Road in Bangkok, but really, really dirty. The only advantage of staying there is the price and the proximity to sites in Old Delhi. We're hoping to find someplace a little nicer and quiet on our last night in Delhi.

Train travel is very cheap here - our sleeper train to Mumbai is costing us about $20 each for 2AC class (classes run 1AC, 2AC, 3AC, regular sleeper, 2nd class, unreserved). Will let you know how it goes. The express train to Agra was 2.5 hours and was $9 each for a Shatabdi train which is the best service you can get in India (free meals, free newspaper, better service than most airlines). There's a great tourist booking office at the train station in Delhi and they always hold a number of seats for tourists who purchase within 24 hours (tourist quota) - very easy to use.

Hope this helps, will post more from the road or when I get back.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great info FlowGirl, I'm saving the specifics for my "Sub Continent" trip.

THANKS!

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #49

We love to travel, but I find it tiring if we do too much day after day for weeks so I like to build in a lazy day every few days (I'm not in perfect health, which is a little limiting for us). I loved reading about FlowGirl's India trip. Last year we went to India for about a month, and it was fantastic (except for the air pollution in some areas of Northern India. All the smoky fires--including burning tires!--activated my dreaded asthma.) I will have to pay attention to air quality for future travel in the deveoping world. But I loved just being--and eating!--in India and can see ourselves living for months in South India. Meeting a variety of Indians in India (instead of just Indians who work in high tech in the US), the beautifully displayed spices and wares at the markets, lush tropical forests with pepper vines and mangoes, caressing the Arabian Sea at Cochin and the Ganges at Varanasi, placing my cheek on the Taj Mahal, experiencing art, architecture, music, and theatre so unlike Western arts, new sights, sounds, smells and tastes, and that out-of-body experience of hearing the call to prayer at sunrise--it almost sounded like it was coming from inside my head. Not to mention riding a camel and elephant NOTE camel breath is the vilest odor in the universe!

At the moment, Thailand is at the top of our wish list, but my daughter may be moving to England or Africa (or one after the other-) next summer, so I will probably visit one or both of those first.

I treated myself to Billy & Akaisha's CD for Christmas (it's here already and I can hardly wait to check it out!). I also got myself Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More"--hey, this is a great site for gifts!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #50

I did a Sleepr Car once, ended up with the top bunk, a lady traveller who I did not know, had the lower berth.

I woke up about I a.m. , it was quite cool so I asked the lady if she would mind getting me a Blanket, to which she responded, why don't we pretend we are married.?

O.K , I said, to which she responded , get your own ^&&ng blanket.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Rimshot!! But seriously folks.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:26 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I travelled a lot when working and was sick and tired of that too. When FIREd I on purpose makes my travelling"simpler". First of all by chosing to live in a place (Thailand) I like (and often travelled to on holiday before). Also I travel more to meet people/friends/family and less to "see new places" as I have already seen so many fantastic places - but realized that friends/family was more important (to me!).
Things I liked to do when I went on holiday before is all here (diving/beach/party/sports and hanging out in the sun) except for snow skiing...

I also simplified my travel by living in a city that is an airport hub in Asia (and a car ride away from the beach). I hate connecting flights.

I was already a master-packer and now even trips to Scandinavian home country requires only the carry-on and the laptop bag. No check-in luggage. I left a few things there (winter jacket Etc.). Oh, I rarely go back ni the winter anyway 8) .

So to many peoples surprise I am not that fond of travelling a lot anymore.

Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Somehow, after retirement, all desire for international travel went away. I guess it's the total hassle of the process.

But we traveled North American quite extensively for a couple of years. We thought that would get it "out of our system".

That didn't WORK! Our wanderlust just increased. Went on lots of "group" trips. That just made us want to do more of it but on our own.

And our wanderlust has increased every year it seems....

Finally in 2005 we totally gave in and made our life 100% about travel - selling our house and moving into a motorhome.

BTW - we haven't actually flown anywhere since Xmas of 2003 with the one exception of one trip to washington to tour the factory that builds our motorhome. Flying anywhere stinks BIG TIME.

What's great about traveling in your own RV is that you get to sleep in your own bed and have your own stuff, and travel at a wonderful leisurely pace, and still enjoy all the perks of exploring a new area. Plus you get to chase good weather.

OK - so I'm firmly in the camp that did want to travel after retirement - and STILL not tired of it. We just love being gypsies.

Audrey
Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife and I worried about dieing before we got a chance to see everything we wanted to see. So we made a list of places we wanted to see and did it while we were physically fit. We made 67 countries and had a blast.

So when we retire we planned to see the USA. It's cheaper and your closer to good hospitals.

I wont say we will not travel but I have so many ways I could spend that money, kind of makes me think.

But never plan to do something you really want to when you retire, do it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #55

Why would I leave?

http://www.thebluemountains.ca/index.cfm

The dam shown is actually a very sophisticated Fish Ladder, spawning season we get 40 pound plus salmon running through it, or when they run, 10 pound plus Trout.

Neat little pub in town for Scotch Afficianados, over 100 differant Brands.