Join Early Retirement Today

Who does NOT want to travel after FIRE?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Who does NOT want to travel after FIRE?

I've had to travel quite a bit for my job. After FIRE, why continue it? Doesn't interest me, other than a little here on this continent maybe. Anybody else?
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who does NOT want to travel after FIRE?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Feel the same way, use to travel quite a bit and have no desire to put up with the hustle and bustle anymore. Just give me a nice golf course, good motorcycle riding weather and I'll be a happy camper.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #3

Travel? Bah, humbug. Hate it.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #4

I'm pretty much a home-body. I travelled a fair bit when I was working. Now that I'm retired I prefer my regular routine. My wife likes to travel and we take at least one big trip a year. Last year we went on two cruises (Alaska and Panama Canal) and I really enjoyed them. My strong preference is travel at a relaxed pace, staying in one place for a least a few days at a time.

Grumpy
Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I used to travel a lot in my previous job too. *The problem was that I did not have the time to see much while traveling; airport-hotel-manufacturing site-bar-hotel...repeat.

DW and I have a list we are making of places we want to go. *We plan on several trips a year in the US with a few days drive of home and one major international trip every year or two for a while. *We have relatives in Australia so that is on the top of the list for an extended stay. *Ireland, UK, Austria, German, France and Italy are next on the list followed by Egypt, Spain and Portugal. *After that .... we may take some cruises to see where else we might like to go. *

Hawaii and Alaska are on the list too as well as Canada and Mexico. *

We plan on limiting the number of travel days per trip to less than two weeks (except the Australia trip) so we don't get too home sick (grandkids). *
Old 12-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #6

I don't want to travel the world but I would like a vacation now and again to some place I haven't been in the US. Other than that to be home every day with a nice routine would be my idea of FIRE. DH on the other hand wants to roam the US in a motorhome , I might like that but I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 AM   #7

Airline travel is not what it used to be. I'ld rather get a root canal after waiting 3 hours to see the dentist. The wait and the seats are nearly identical.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm
I've had to travel quite a bit for my job. After FIRE, why continue it? Doesn't interest me, other than a little here on this continent maybe. Anybody else?
Yep, spouse puts down the remote after every episode of PBS' "Globetrekker" and says "Cross that one off the list!"

When we were working we talked for years about diving Guam or the Great Barrier Reef "when we're retired". Last year she made it to Chuuk with a friend for a week but I stayed home for parenting duty, and now we talk about doing it "when we're childless". But then you would think that we'd at least be diving the local sites more often.

Somehow among the surfing and the home improvements and the parenting and the goofing off & everything else, travel has sunk to the lowest priority.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Somehow among the surfing and the home improvements and the parenting and the goofing off & everything else, travel has sunk to the lowest priority.
I think this is key. If you really like the things right around home, travel is less compelling. I suppose if I were up in Fairbanks hardly able to be sure that was the sun I saw down on the ground at noon, I would want to get out a couple times every winter. Or maybe a Florida or Mississippi summer would do the same thing.

But if things are pretty good where you are, you have only the draw of whatever you want to see or do elsewhere, rather than also having the push to get away from home.

Ha
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
My strong preference is travel at a relaxed pace, staying in one place for a least a few days at a time.
I was going to post the exact same thing! I like the cruises too - 7 nights in the same bed, yet you get to get off the boat a few times during your cruise and see exotic locations (if you want to!).

In contrast, I find the idea of a hectic vacation where sightseeing is planned from 8:00 am till 9:00 pm every day to be exhausting and the opposite of "fun" and "relaxing". I like to make a list of stuff I'd like to do on vacation, and then pick and choose what I do on the fly - if I don't get to see certain things, then there's always later - or never.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We like to travel and have the motorhome. Nice to take your own home when you go on a trip.

It is dark and cold here, approaching the shortest day of the year. In a couple of weeks I am going on a trip all by myself via Amtrak from St. Paul to Portland to LA. Doing it up fancy with the deluxe sleeper. I have a few good books and am ready to go. First time on a big trip by myself since 1973.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Both the wife and I travelled extensively before retirement. We went on one vacation together a few weeks after we met. Just a jaunt to mexico to get some heat on us in mid winter. Havent stepped into an airport in years now, and from what i've read in the news, I dont miss it.

Considering that on a trip about 6 years ago when I had a very rude ticketing clerk, that I yelled "I HAVE A KNIFE!" to get a supervisors direct and immediate attention...thats probably a good thing. I dont think the TSA would as readily accept the explanation that I really yelled "I dont have a wife!".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Hubby and I have a list of places we'd like to visit but haven't done anything specific yet. Almost all are in the US and driving distance with the exception of Alaska. (and he was there this summer)

The fact is, though, that we are homebodies. We've been in our home (that we had built for us) for 19 yrs and absolutely love it. Many a night, while sitting in front of a beautiful fire in the fireplace, we comment on how lucky we are to live where we do in the house we love. Will we downsize to a smaller one-story somewhere in the next 5 yrs? I used to say "definitely" but now it's just "possibly".

We love to take daytrips around Wisconsin or to the UP or eastern Minnesota and just explore areas we've never been to before. State parks, outdoor recreational stores, wonderful restaurants, etc. And of course we have my sister's homes to visit with their lake frontage or in-ground pools. (I come from a "what's mine is yours type family who loves to have family around)

I'm sure we"ll plan a trip in the near future but for now we're happy just rising in the morning and deciding, over a cup of coffee, what we want to do for the day. Life really is good right now.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I haven't done a lot of traveling over the years so I want to get in my car and see some of the country. Maybe head to Montana, Idaho, etc. during those hot summer months here in the south. I don't care to fight the airports so don't plan to fly much.*
Old 12-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Airline travel is not what it used to be.* I'ld rather get a root canal after waiting 3 hours to see the dentist.* The wait and the seats are nearly identical.
Ha! *I totally agree. *I thought we were just strange that we don't like to travel much. *We laugh because in years past, we loved to vacation in a little log cabin in the woods somewhere. *Well, now we live in a log house in the woods, and are content as we can be to just hang around the house. *Day trips are fun, but I want to be in my own bed at the end of the day.

Thanks for making me realize we aren't the only ones. *

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have done way too much business travel (c/w some combined pleasure trips from time to time as well - Bejing, Honk Kong, Venezuela, Rome, Venice, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, etc) over my career to want to get into many airplanes after FIRE. The human body was not meant to be hurtling through the air at 36,000 ft in a cigar tube at 500 mph. When I retire in about 4 months back to Canada, I hope not to get into a plane again (with the exception of mid-winter relief) when a 2-3 week respite to Southern USA or Central America using some of those air miles will likely be needed to maintain sanity.

I think an annual trip somewhere new is good for the body and soul, but beyond that, mostly day trips or weekend trips that are close by. Tops on my list are Australia, Ireland, UK, Rio (carnival time), and potentially Egypt (pyramids). No desire whatsoever to see Asia or Africa.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I don't mind the airplane....it is the other people and the airline I hate to deal with.

I added up my frequent flier miles the other day.....425,000 on three airlines. I would have had three times that but my former company did not allow us to keep the miles until after I had already traveled more than 3 years in that job. Some of it is also CC miles (business and personal) but they all spend the same. We switched CC cards recently to rack up some more miles on Delta since it has a hub here so flights are easier to schedule on them due to more flights.

We will start on eating into FF miles starting in 2006 with our biggest chunks reserved for RE since we can be more flexible on available dates for the FF fare. First class to Australia sounds really good right now. That should put a nice dent in the account.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I suppose if I had a lot more $, I'd travel some more. At least to see family more often.

I like the idea of travelling. Seeing new places and things. Going somewhere beautiful. But for me, the reality isn't as good as the concept.

One thing I'd like to do someday (though much lower on my list since I stopped working) is go live somewhere for six months where people live life with different priorities than in big city America. Probably not someplace very poor, but someplace where people value fun, friends, family, and social time, more than consuming and accumulating.
Now that I think about it, it's not just stopping work that makes me less interested in doing that, it's also because I've been spending more time with people who are more into living life than buying stuff.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:59 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday

One thing I'd like to do someday (though much lower on my list since I stopped working) is go live somewhere for six months where people live life with* different priorities than in big city America. Probably not someplace very poor, but someplace where people value fun, friends, family, and social time, more than consuming and accumulating.
Now that I think about it, it's not just stopping work that makes me less interested in doing that, it's also because I've been spending more time with people who are more into living life than buying stuff.
Sounds like you might need to move to either a small town in rural America or to a sleepy country in the EU. How about France or Spain? They seem pretty laid back lazy about most things.

Reminds me of a line from Kelly's Heroes

Kelly--"What are you doing?"

Oddball--"I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays. You know?"

Old 12-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Well said, after lots of travel I've finally learned the same thing. It sounds great, is great for a day or two, then you find that it's not much different than being at home. And I agree with your other sentiment. After years of traveling to Europe (many of them for multimonth trips), I finally learned that the best thing was to sit out in a cafe with coworkers with just beer and conversation. Here in the U.S. we're in and out of a resturant in an hour or two, there you park for the evening. Otherwise castles and places to visit are all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday

I like the idea of travelling. Seeing new places and things. Going somewhere beautiful. But for me, the reality isn't as good as the concept.

danm is offline   Reply With Quote