Join Early Retirement Today

Who is FIRE'd outside the U.S.?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Who is FIRE'd outside the U.S.?

The latest post from the Welshman in Germany got me wondering how many members we have that permanently reside outside the U.S. Thought it might be interesting to see a list. So post up where you live!

Me:

I live in Estonia.
(Ma elan Eestis.)

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How 'bout making this a poll? Then you can keep track of the responses.
Also, are you interested in who is overseas because they've always been there, or who is ex-patriate/RE overseas? (or both?)

Me.
Abito in Italia.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
How 'bout making this a poll? Then you can keep track of the responses.
Also, are you interested in who is overseas because they've always been there, or who is ex-patriate/RE overseas? (or both?)
Crap, a poll would have been a great idea, but I can't figure out how to do that (or if you even can) via advanced edit? Oh well. Just whoever is ER'd and lives outside the U.S. More about location than anything I suppose. Though people can feel free to elaborate on their circumstance if they wish.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are planning on living winters in PV MX when 91yo MIL is no longer living on her own. Will travel in spring and summer April thru Oct. Probably we'll visit Ladelfina and some others who post here.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #5

Canada
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #6

Canada
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Canada
Old 10-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #8

Canader eh!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

US citizen by birth, Canadian by choice.

Just semi-retired to British Columbia...eligible for provincial medicare on Thursday. Cost $96 a month for two people. Moving to Canada moved up my ER date by about five years, since we're saving about $5K per year in health insurance costs.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those of you that have retired away from Home (the US or Canada)... Do you intend to remain there for good? Or do you intend to return to the US or Canada after a few years?

In otherwords, is the relo a temporary move?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #11

i'm considering ages 50-55 living in the states, touring this continent during summer months. ages 55-65 overseas, mostly in developing countries or maybe europe if the exchange rate happens to change towards my favor during that time. then 65 onward possibly back in the states if i haven't taken to living overseas.

but then, i also have four other plans i'm considering so really i have no idea what i'm doing, what i will be doing and i'm a little foggy on what i've done.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I need to remain in Canada for 3 years to be eligible to apply for citizenship. Once I have dual US/Canadian citizenship, I can stay in whichever country I like for as long or as little as I please.

Just finished reading "The Border Guide" by Robert Keats, which goes into detail (almost excruciatingly so) about the advantages/disadvantages of living on each side of the border. All you have to consider is estate planning, currency risk, retirement plans, social programs, health care, cost of living, tax rates, and the weather. Easy as pie.

Right now we're liking Canada better, even though it costs maybe 5% more to live here. Taxes, food and utilities are all higher than the States, but medical insurance is much lower.

Once we're 65 and eligible for Medicare, we may spend 7-8 months in Canada and 4-5 months in the sunny Southwest US since we won't have to buy travel insurance.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_y View Post
US citizen by birth, Canadian by choice.

Just semi-retired to British Columbia...eligible for provincial medicare on Thursday. Cost $96 a month for two people. Moving to Canada moved up my ER date by about five years, since we're saving about $5K per year in health insurance costs.

I thought you could not retire in canada from the states?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #14

Thailand

"Phom pak yu pratet thai"

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
I thought you could not retire in canada from the states?
Strictly speaking, that is correct. Canada no longer has an immigration class for retirees, although I understand that they did some years ago. I got my status under the Skilled Worker immigration class, based on their point system. See Immigrating to Canada

I barely scored enough points to get in, based on my college degree, fluency in English, work history, and being under 50 years old. There's a self test you can take at the site referenced above that would give you an idea of your chances. Or if you have close relatives living there, you can have them sponsor you under the Family class.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #16

It will be Australia for us once we retire.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Those of you that have retired away from Home (the US or Canada)... Do you intend to remain there for good? Or do you intend to return to the US or Canada after a few years?

In otherwords, is the relo a temporary move?
I received Estonian citizenship and intend to live here permanently.